I was a little nervous about ordering a Gotway Monster motor directly from Gotway until..

Bob Eisenman

@meepmeepmayerI was a teacher in a private boarding school (Winchendon, MA)  from about 1979-1985. One of my students in that time period was Chris Lorant. The director of studies, my brother in law, said his father was an well known author of a book about Nazi Germany (I was Hitler's Prisoner) and was old, as father's go.

Here are some links about Stefan Lorant, my student's Dad, who married several times.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-stefan-lorant-1294687.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/18/arts/stefan-lorant-96-author-and-magazine-editor.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Lorant

https://prabook.com/web/mobile/#!profile/3746162

Edited by Bob Eisenman

42 ish degrees F performance for 1600 WHr Monster with new 800 WHr battery (1 of 2), the other 800 Whr battery has 230+ cycles

Range calculation:

Miles: 28.5 miles

63% depleted battery

Start@95%

End@33% (after sitting , started at 28 %)

0.45 miles per % battery

Temperature@39 F - 45 F

Pace was 14 mph average moving speed

42 F ride graph

42 F ride graph

42 F ride graph

• 1 month later...

Ouch... Imagine hitting this at 30mph!

We should always be ready to be betrayed by our Wheels From Hell at any moment. This means, in the vicinity of nasty obstacles like these we should be extra careful and extra slow.

Thanks for sharing the lesson with everyone.

Edited by Aneta

2 hours ago, Aneta said:

Ouch

Thanks....your physics & electronics , as applied to the EUC, equation mastery is daunting.

During a week stay at a Boston Hospital one nurse awoke me during the night for meds. We got to talking.....she is from Mogilev, Belarus ....and her father (a policeman?) was 2nd responder to Chernobyl.......most (?) of the 1st responders died later from radiation exposure.

Mogilev is on the Dniepr river (pronounced 'nipper' by her). She was interested to know that a drone forum member I talked about called 'Yuriy Gorb' was from the Ukraine on the Dneiper river too.

Another health aide is from Peru and she talked about her daughter.

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Not bad, Bob... But you are about 4 hours out - it was about 2:30 this afternoon.

We are still learning the details (about the same time that you are). But it is definitely a bit "closer to home" that we would have liked!   :o

40 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

looks like everything is good again?

A doctor (graduate) of University of Michigan Medical Center headed the team. Yeah...he did a nice job of reattaching the cheek. It will take time to get used to the new feel. A few zygomatic fractures occured too. Wheeling me into the OR for general anesthesia we passed a woman playing a huge harp in the hallway outside. Monster has quite a few miles...I forget...about the same as posted earlier

To get discharged from the hospital they needed to address some other health issues like diabetes, hypertension and health insurance....all issues either being pursued or treated at this time. It's a long story but the Uber ride to a hospital in the town where I live was followed by a $2,800 (uninsured rate) ambulance ride to Boston, some 25-30 miles away.

The surgical team was cool to going home after a few days but the other issues required a week stay.

I'm probably a candidate for what's called medicare. At 65 the eligibility rules in my state for my previous health care plan change unfavorably (excluding) for me on a countable assets basis.....I let it slide without dealing with alternative plans a year ago.

Long acting insulin runs about $100 a week when billed through the pharmacy.

• Like 1

:blink:  Oh man, glad to hear that you are overall okay.  These wheels are fun fun, but life changing injuries are always a possibility unfortunately.  Would a full face helmet have avoided the surgery and maybe just resulted in some bruises?  $2800 for an ambulance ride?  Holy crap.  I wonder what the cost of the surgery and hospital stay amounted to.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Now .... about one month after a low speed tumble at night onto a guard rail i-beam (similar to this picture)

I-beam

caused a somewhat horrific looking and bloody facial cut from nose to jaw, the L-side wound has been stitched back together by a plastic surgery team and a beard covers my chin , cheek and neck.

OMG Bob....I’m so sorry! Your a safe rider so I did not expect this. Best wishes on your recovery! 

• Like 2

Sequence of events...perhaps a bad decision was made at the last minute to avoid riding at night in the shoulder after passing a couple of parked cops who were not really involved.

Went for a night ride starting in Boston

Sequence of eventsSequence of events

Passed a couple of parked police cruisers while using the roads smooth shoulder for a mile and on approaching a rotary where trucks, cars go clockwise....decided to transition to an unlit and leaf covered sidewalk 

****Start Correction****

a three quarters of a mile or so after passing two parked police cruisers at another Dunkin who otherwise had no role in the crash and we're not in the vicinity of the upcoming traffic circle near where I crashed.

****End correction ****

Bad decision

Hit a bump or something and pitched off

Sequence of events

Just before the rotary

Sequence of events

Continued on to a Dunkin and called an Uber back to Salem... another ten miles away.

I was shipped by ambulance by a Salem Hospital trauma team to a hospital in Boston.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just when I thouhht I had all the bumps in my electric unicycle path memorized ......😲

At the site of my crash I found a mismatched sidewalk block that was obscured by leaves and the darkness of night. Sort of a speed bump effect.

Crash site pavement bump

Crash site pavement bump

Ride to BostonRide to Boston

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So....I bought a folding bicycle. It rides like this 360 video shows, is good exercise, lowers my blood sugar (if I watch my diet),

Diabetes chart

is too strenuous when riding uphill and fits on the train.

For longer rides I find it both uncomfortable and overly tiring.

Bicycle miles

Unlike the Monster it fits the community plan for bike path use.

The Monster has been waiting patiently for another ride since my November crash. A short 360 GoPro Fusion video is rendering ......

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2

So....why does exercise improve blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetes? Normal is 80-100. 

There is a 'transporter' for glucose in muscle tissues. Glucose, when transported into the cell , is used to create ATP for muscle contraction and other cell metabolism processes. There are about 14 different glucose transporter types and several that cotransport glucose along with sodium.

For muscles the GLUT4 transporter is the one affected by both insulin and vigorous muscle excertion.

As I've read.... the GLUT4 is not present on the cell surface at all times. When not present on the cell surface it is inside the cells in 'vesicles' which

1_ fuse with the cell membrane when insulin binds to the insulin receptor on the cell surface...relocating the GLUT4 transporter to the cell surface

2_ fuse with the cell membrane during vigorous muscular excercise.....relocating the GLUT4 transporter to the cell surface

As long as the GLUT4 transporter is present on the cell surface, a transient event rather than a permanent relocation, glucose can be taken up from the blood stream.

The addition of more GLUT4 transporters due to vigorous muscular excertion increases the amount of glucose that can be transported into the cell from the blood.

GLUT4 present on the cell surface due to vigorous excercise stays there for a day or so and the improvement in lowering blood sugar in type 2 diabetics can be seen (measured) for more than one day.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Yeah...I still have the '84 volt' motor. A year later.

Old motor

The axle appears not to be broken in the sense of a visibly cracked (on the motor's external side) part perpendicular to the plane of the motor/wheel. Instead, one pedal seems to free rotate independent of the other. Opening the motor housing didn't she'd any additional light on the free rotation of the pedal column.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGATf_ikc9l0Yk66zkkS6QKfJWM-Ji39/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lKgFxj7LwOHDHvAeCe6hFGx1J6cFtWdX/view?usp=drivesdk

The new motor shipped with different bullet connectors than those used on the Monsters main board's (non fast power shutdown version of board)  three power connectors. The old motors power connectors were cut off, used to connect the main board and spliced into the new motors power wires (less newer bullet connectors) rather than replacing the old bullets.

https://flic.kr/p/2aVCuQj

https://flic.kr/p/PW3oZk

Hadn't thought about giving it away.

No snow in the forecast for awhile.

Hadn't thought about giving it away as such.  The new motor/wheel/axle was several hundred $ to buy and ship. Need to focus on another (non-euc) issue this week. Maybe you could try me again in a week.

I've read lots of good things about the 100 volt Monster which you claim in your profile. The 84 volt version Monster shell (internal posts) is fragile in a crash....kind of a weak point. This one (red) is a replacement of the original (blue).

@Bob Eisenman

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick reply. I bought my monster from Girth Brooks, and I have had nothing but fun with it! I can't really compare it to any other wheel because it is my first euc. The majority of my riding has been mowed pasture and gravel, so the bigger wheel has been appropriate for me.

I will get back in touch in a week or so. I really hadn't thought that you would give it away, and would be interested in what would be a good price?

Best Regards, Gene

2 hours ago, Gene Martin said:

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick reply

Wikipedia says Orland and it's Vermont settlers go back to the early 1834.

"Orland is recognized as the first settlement in Steuben County,[7] populated by immigrants from Vermont and originally known as Vermont Settlement. Each year in late July, Orland celebrates this heritage with the Vermont Settlement Festival. Orland was settled in 1834 after a Vermont man named John Stocker had gone prospecting for his family and the families of his neighbors. Stocker chose this particular piece of land because of the rich burr-oak openings he found. Pioneers coming from Windham County, Vermont arrived shortly thereafter and built a Baptist church.[8] The town established a post office in 1837.[9]"

My older cousin on my mother's side did a geneology that traces a Stephen Tucker (1794-1882) who travelled from Halifax, VT (in Windham county) in 1814 to Jackson, Pennsylvania where he started a farm.

Stephen TuckerStephen Tucker

https://books.google.com/books?id=NrxCAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA134&lpg=PA134&dq=stephen+tucker+javkson+pa+halifax+vermont&source=bl&ots=nmaOfKGv_s&sig=ACfU3U19hwptn-C-Gvyjbig4pX-fzZN_dQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjj0IT0jfDmAhXGLs0KHbkkBjcQ6AEwAHoECAEQBA#v=onepage&q=stephen tucker javkson pa halifax vermont&f=false

I still think about how the man ventured what seemed like a long distance on foot (Vermont to Pennsylvania). His daughter Clarissa (one of 11 kids )provides Tucker family details in an old book published after her death using her married name Clarissa Tucker Tracy. She became a teacher (botany) in Wisconsin at Ripon college.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarissa_Tracy

Apparently the 1834 journey to Indiana from Windham county  VT (same county as the town of Halifax) was no less impressive.

Vermont winters get cold and snowy and the Green Mountains have quite a few ski resorts.

My cousin visited the (maternal to Stephen T.) Tucker Family gravesite in Halifax (Windham County) Vermont.

Tucker gravesite in Halifax VT

My maternal grandfather's middle name was Evander. Evander was one of Stephen Tucker's (1794-1882) 11 kids.

9 hours ago, Gene Martin said:

Nice little ride!

The broken motor which you are interested in was crashed relatively few times , I think less than five. However one crash resulted from a pedal breaking while in motion. This crash probably damaged the motor axle the most as it tumbled about before stopping, leaving the pedal sheared off. A replacement pedal was used for awhile as a fix.

After about a month the motor axle bend was noticably off , as seen while replacing the shell in Oct 2018 to remedy a cracked and loose blue shell.

Monster shell with bent motor axle attachment using shims

Before the pedal breaking off problem and before the motor became audibly dysfunctional it was used a little for bumpy trail rides

And a semi-regularly on a longer route for which this video shows the last half of the ride.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YMNExYJJVdZ2cfmjutHqY7AU72oMQiIW/view?usp=drivesdk

The motor you are interested in is both priceless and worthless to me aside from looking inside to marvel at the amount of electromagnetic  tech that is inside.

I transitioned to the Monster following several thousand miles on a Ninebot One E+ and a broken shoulder while riding it.

The Monster, aside from the pedal sheering off episode, had been a positive experience until last November 2019 when I pitched off headfirst onto a metal guard rail post requiring some plastic surgery (stitches) to my face. 

I thought it would be interesting to mount the Monster, post 2019 injury,  and make a short video, which you commented on.

At 66 it is debatable whether riding the red Monster aggressively as a go to electric vehicle is a wise idea for me, especially in the winter while I'm still without health insurance, which is itself an ongoing endeavor, since age 65 when the health insurance rules change and my stubborn ways of thinking about getting older go head to head with the consequences of riding a self balancing one wheeled device.