I was a little nervous about ordering a Gotway Monster motor directly from Gotway until..

Bob Eisenman

Motor arrived a day early....the bullet connectors on the motor are about 5 mm (4.5 mm at the base and 5 mm at the tip of the male prongs) which is 2mm larger than those on the original motor.... Will need to swap out the bullet connectors or maybe try a butt splice/crimp.

The motor wires are a few inches longer that the original motor's and use a staggered bent bullet connector (crimp+solder) approach for safety.

New Gotway Monster motor

The new motor axle ships with two washers whereas the original Monster motor used only one washer beneath the nut. 

Double axle washer on new Gotway Monster motor

Motor in - case closed - power on

First ride after motor installation

Motor installed - first ride

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

:popcorn:  Sweet!  I had mentioned in a post wondering why they didn't use staggered wiring to avoid having the metal connectors clustered right beside each other.  They tend to act like little electric heaters so having them all side by side is likely not a good idea from what we've seen in the past.  Did they include any clear plastic shrink sleeving?  There are butt connectors and crimp tools you can get to make a permanent connection if you don't have plans to disconnect things easily in the future.    Or simply get some thick gauge wiring, thermal sleeving and splice in an "expendable" section of wire.  

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I had mentioned in a post wondering why they didn't use staggered wiring to avoid having the metal connectors clustered right beside each other.  

Hunka speaks......Gotway listens...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Or simply

.....use several inches of the old motor wires with matching 3-ish mm bullet connectors to the control board bullets and join (high temp 200+ C solder) the old/new wires. ( after cutting off the new 5-ish mm bullets on the new motor wires)

Be caution (KingSong inside joke) with just soldering those ends on.  Although it’s probably not a concern if you’re not climbing hills, but it sounds like any junctions where resistance might be higher like solder joints and connectors likely heat up more than the wire itself.

I think I’ve seen EUC Extreme taking a secondary thinner wire and wrap that around the wire ends physically tying them together before soldering the works.  With some shrink wrap over top it should be pretty secure.  It might be overkill, but in a mission critical situation we need to take extra precautions.

Maybe solder crimping with butt connectors would be even better.

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Any inclusion of a washer (delivered part came with 2) disallows case closure. The original Monster used no such washers so I mounted the new motor without as it was before.

Double axle washer on new Gotway Monster motor

From what I've read the new control board with 5 mm connectors (SpeedyFeet connector video) , which was sent to market flashed with something resembling 'fast shut down' appeared while owners of the Monster with 3 mm connectors from the control board purchased 'new control boards'. The connector conflict became a problem for Monster owners with 3 mm bullet connectors.

The stock Monster Motor that was sent from Gotway has staggered 5 mm connectors which would be a perfect match with the newer control board.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=253998368328&category=11332&pm=1&ds=0&t=1545250564174

I've made a good attempt at using the original shims, which may loosen on use, and am debating on the Kingsong virtue of 'be caution'

meaning....buy a new control board with the 5 mm connectors and possibly benefit from 'fast shutdown' (board flashed to newest firmware ?)

Or

adapting the motor wiring to 3 mm bullet connectors as described earlier

And get the Monster rolling with 3 mm bullet connectors and motor wire splices.

Haven't decided which way I'll go but the 5mm staggered motor connectors matching the new 5 mm Monster control board connectirs looks like a planned product upgrade.

Gotway Monster - new motor and reassembly - connector statusGotway Monster - new motor and reassembly - connector status

I'd forgotten how much effort it takes to change a tire (old tire + new inner tube) and Justina's website (Kingsong?) tire changing video suggestion of heating the tire (I used a hot towel for the last foot of tire spooning) made for a successful tire mount. The Monster tire was much harder for me to change than the Ninebot One E+ 's tire that I replaced a long time ago. Slime in the space between the tube and the tire was a mess to handle. I needed to remove the tire stem in order to deflate the Monster  tire. The installed tire and tube seems to have held pressure overnight .

Having the misc. parts and screws back together, instead of in various containers, is a relief from having scattered stuff on the floor.

New motor installed and old motor - removed

Edited by Bob Eisenman

• 3 weeks later...

12-31-2018

Payment for the Gotway Monster motor (received) was returned from the China Construction Bank with a notification that , as Jane Mo indicated, the account number used was no longer in active use....plus a message from my bank to contact Gotway for the latest account to be used for a wire transfer.

1-1-2019

Jane Mo forwards the 'new' account by email...a Hong Kong Bank

"here it is.
Bank Name: Hang Seng Bank Limited
Account Name:kebye electronic limited
Account Number xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bank Address:83 Des Voeux Road Central,HK"

1-1-2019
Jane Mo writes
"Thanks"
In reply to my email that the wire transfer was made

1-6-2019
Jane Mo writes
"we didnt receive the payment ,can you check it with your bank?thanks in advance."

1-7-2019
I write:
"Dear Jane, 
My bank called me today about the wire transfer. They received an email which states 
THE ACCOUNT (NUMBER?) THAT YOU PROVIDED DOES NOT EXIST. "

1-7-2019
My bank is refunded the $45 wire transfer fee plus the amount of payment for the Gotway Monster motor, inner tube shipping fee and a discretionary amount to cover any costs incurred by Hang Send Bank Limited

• 2 months later...

This is a 1300 km follow-up on purchase and installation of new Gotway Monster motor sent from Jane Mo @ Gotway in China.

For last few rides (around 1300 km since installing the motor) a slight squeaking sound was heard while 'idling' the EUC at stops like streetlight posts.

The axle nuts which push down on the shims had become slightly loose. A 1/2 inch to 1 inch deflection of the big socket wrench was applied.

Kafuter's silicon glue was applied to the 7 plug-ins to the main board. 

The main board, batteries and power connections look the same as the day the motor was installed.

Conservative riding choices like smooth paths were used during the 1300 km. No case cracks we're seen. Since the axle nut tightening the squeaking sound has gone. The ten pedal column bolts would not tighten appreciably.

Photos:

1300 km post motor installation pictures: 1- tighten axle nuts  (1/2 to 1 inch deflection) 2- apply Kafuter silicon glue to the 7 main board plugins1300 km post motor installation pictures: 1- tighten axle nuts  (1/2 to 1 inch deflection) 2- apply Kafuter silicon glue to the 7 main board plugins1300 km post motor installation pictures: 1- tighten axle nuts  (1/2 to 1 inch deflection) 2- apply Kafuter silicon glue to the 7 main board plugins

1300 km post motor installation pictures: 1- tighten axle nuts  (1/2 to 1 inch deflection) 2- apply Kafuter silicon glue to the 7 main board plugins

1300 km post motor installation pictures: 1- tighten axle nuts  (1/2 to 1 inch deflection) 2- apply Kafuter silicon glue to the 7 main board plugins

• Like 2

Post 'squeaking'_fix ride:

Post axle tightening ridePost axle tightening ridePost axle tightening ride

This is a full charge for this 2 battery pack Monster which has a bad cell or two in (probably - maybe - hopefully?) only one of the '84 volt'  packs. The 2 battery packs have over 200 charging cycles. 

Winter riding range for this 220 lb rider is about 20-22 miles.

****** 25 km (15.5 miles) later***

Monster voltage and battery charge after a 25 km ride (15.5 miles on WherlLog)

My Google Maps timelines (and Geo Tracker mileages) are always longer than my WheelLog odometer trip values.

3-18-2019 Maps timeline 19 mile ride

Maps timeline was 19 miles for today's ride.

Boston ride

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

About 4,000 km (2400 miles) following the shell replacement a squeaking noise was heard on the Monster. Cracks at the Apex of the 90 degree bend we're found on both shell sides. The pictures hardly show the visible cracks which begin ' high' on the pedal arm mount points and extend several inches down the bolted area. The axle nuts were tightened but not by much. I thought for awhile about buying a right angle strip of carbon fiber (1 or 2 mm thickness) similar to this UK supplier and using an appropriate epoxy (following surface paint removal , abrasion and fluid cleaning) but haven't pursued the idea (yet).

https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/cured-carbon-fibre-products/carbon-fibre-angle/carbon-fibre-angle-2mm.html

Cracks in pedal-shell mount point area. One on each side.

Cracks in pedal-shell mount point area. One on each side.

Monster Entry#220

6-27-2019

Multiple rides

Start: 12200 km

End: 12351 km

Ride: 151 km = 94 miles

*****Squeaks***one EUC drop at Beverly Stop&Shop in early June 2019

*******Started new motor at 8566 km

FIRST INSPECTION (no cracks found)

*******Tighten axle nuts at 9895 km

****1429 km ridden before axle nut tightening

---------

SECOND INSPECTION ( cracks found)

*****Tighten axle nuts at 12351 km

****2486 km ridden before axle nut tightening

Note: (almost 4000 total km = about 2400 miles since motor rebuild)

Controller board side (right) cracks found in shell at pedal column rear side and top

Opposite battery shell side (left) crack found in shell at pedal column front side

Recent ride photo

Cracks and ride photo

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 2:06 PM, Bob Eisenman said:

Hopefully ,after patch curing and some riding, ....the patch will stay bonded to the shell. 

After a twenty mile ride to Gloucester the patch remained bonded to the shell:

Fiberglass epoxy patch - after 20 miles to Gloucester

Fiberglass epoxy patch - after 20 miles to Gloucester

I might patch the crack on the other shell side (LEFT) the same way.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

72 miles post patch shows light debonding (whitish color)

Debond at 72 miles post patch

And hard to see (half inch)

The geometry of the the case enclosed battery position during shell case flexing might contribute to stress at the debonded area, a design issue in terms of the battery (in it's compartment) pushing against the debonded area.

Overall the patch seems to be bonded along the pedal column. More miles will tell if the debonded area lengthens.

Not perfect but the patch adds some support to a previously totally cracked and unpatched area.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A 300 miles post patch check on the Monster's RIGHT side fiberglass patch....

plus I decided to patch the LEFT side too at 80 miles post patch of right side

So there's about 220 miles on the LEFT side patch

The fiberglass has debonded significantly on both sides adjacent to the battery compartments.

Monster's RIGHT (main board) side -

battery compartment @ 300 miles post patch

300 miles on RIGHT side patch

Monster's RIGHT (mainboard) side -

main board compartment @ 300 miles post patch

300 miles on RIGHT side patch

Monster's LEFT (non main board) side

Battery compartment @ 220 miles post patch

LEFT side patch

Monster's LEFT (non main board) side

Empty compartment @ 220 miles post patch

LEFT side patch

The Monster feels solid but is easier to turn, apparently because the shell flexes more. I still like the way the residual bonded fiberglass holds the shells problem areas (cracked plastic along pedal column) in place.

If debonding continues it may be worth chiseling out the debonded fiberglass-epoxy'd areas, acetone surface cleaning and repatching with new fiberglass......a 15 minute patching job with an overnight epoxy curing time.

Next post patch check around 500 miles?

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today I decided to repatch the Monster's semi-debonded patches applied to the shell-pedal columns with fiberglass/epoxy.....around 600 miles after the initial patch was applied. I took a half day to finish the job.

8-22-2019 (redid the initial patch around noon)

At 14109 km = 8767 miles

Initial patch was at 8162 miles

About 605 miles wear and tear on the initial RIGHT patch

1_Tighten RIGHT (MB) side axle nut

2_Remove and reapply R-fiberglass/epoxy patch

Note1: the bonded patch 'peeled' away with some effort. The patch is flexible ..not stiff.

Note2: crack depth and case flexibility around it is significant (> an eight inch)

Note 3: One shell 'post' at pedal area broken from recent awkward dismount followed by thrashing 'Gotway dance'.

3_About 3:00 pm I repatched the LEFT side (battery compartment).  533 miles wear and tear on L patch

4_tightened the LEFT axle nut

The epoxy / fiberglass patch material is flexible when removed.

Removed patch

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So ...I've been riding the Monster for over a year with one of the two 800 Whr battery packs having one or more bad cells limiting the total charge capacity of both packs to 78%.

With cold weather approaching I decided to purchase a new 800 WHr battery from eWheels to replace the faulty 800 WHr pack.

The new battery arrived on Monday (later determined to be at 49% charge) but the battery charge connector (2 wires one red +, one black - ground) that shipped now uses an XT30U connector rather than the type used in my original Monster purchase.

XT30U vs original connector found on the 800 WHr Gotway battery

I use the stock charger that puts out 1.5 amperes. Perhaps the change to XT30U better supports fast chargers running at higher amperages.

Amazon carries XT30U connectors with installed short wires which I bought. The XT30U connectors arrived on Thursday.

https://www.amazon.com/Racingirl-NIDICI-Connector-Silicone-Battery/dp/B07JJ4DDS2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=Racingirl+NIDICI+8pcs+Amass+XT30U+Plug+Connector&qid=1570768316&sr=8-3

After swapping/soldering-in the battery charge connector to type XT30U, I separately charged the old (230+ charge cycles/ almost 2 years old) and new battery packs voltages to within a half volt (at about 53% & 74.80 volts) and then reconnected both packs to the Monster.

I charged the Monster to 89% of total charge and went out for a late night (29.4 mile) ride in temperatures hovering around 56 F.

I got about 0.40 miles per percent of charge.

A 100% charge predicts about 35 miles  with 5 to 10 ish percent remaining in temps around 56 F.

*********ride summary******

10-10-2019

To Malden and back

Start@89% (no load)

End  @17% (no load)

Miles=29.4

# of miles per % battery = 0.408 (for the 1600 WHr battery configuration)

Temperature = 56 F (sweater and wind breaker weather plus a knited head cap)

New battery pack ride

New battery pack ride

New battery pack ride

New battery pack ride

Overnight charge to 100% battery

Overnight charge to 100%

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Monster's last range test went to 40.9 miles

Range test to Salisbury, Massachusetts

Initial charge= 97% (no load)

End charge= 9% (no load)

Total miles= 40.96

Miles per percent charge= 0.46

Temperature was high 50's to mid 60's

Range test 10-13-2019Range test 10-13-2019

Edited by Bob Eisenman

• 3 weeks later...

Monster just turned the WheelLog odometer past 16,000 km which means the original MB , one 800 WHr battery (of 2) , pedal columns, shims and the tire from the original purchase have gone that distance.

The rest of the Monster (motor, shell, inner tube, 800 WHr battery (1 of 2), pedals) has been replaced over that time period and the MB recorded the elapsed distance since the purchase.

16,001 km !

The miles per percent of battery charge in 50 ish F weather has been about

0.45 to 0.5 miles per %

or 4.5 to 5.0 miles per 10% depletion of the battery charge.

Last Range calculation

Miles: 30 miles

60% depleted battery

Start@95%

End@35%

0.5 miles per % battery

Temperature@52 F

Pace was slow

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 2