I was a little nervous about ordering a Gotway Monster motor directly from Gotway until..

Bob Eisenman

@Bob Eisenman

Hi Bob,

I will be 64 in March, and riding aggressively isn't a good idea for me either! I won't ride in the winter.

It is getting harder for me to get around and the wheel is a really good way to get back to nature. It is a real life changer.

Have you given any more thought to parting with the broken monster motor and what would be a good price?

Here is a nice video that I like to watch, lots of things to think about!

Best regards, Gene

3 hours ago, Gene Martin said:

Have you given any more thought to parting with the broken monster motor and what would be a good price?

I've decided that it isn't for sale. However, for a fifty dollar handling fee + shipping costs it's yours.

• Like 1

This is sort of an off topic about how I spent the day....

'froknowsphoto.com' says that shooting RAW format photos and video is the way to go to get the best color your camera can provide. Of course processing RAW files with Adobe Lightroom CC would be the better/easier way to go using a monthly subscription.

I have a YI 4K action camera, but not a DSLR, which has a shoot in jpg+raw mode. DNG (digital negative format) is YI 4K's storage format for RAW at about 5x the jpg filesize.

I like the YI 4K jpg's but wanted to try DNG color correction since 'Fro' promotes shooting in RAW. Android has a (free) Lightroom app which I use a lot and which reads DNG files..

The YI 4K jpg's are ok (corrected) when optical correction is enabled on the camera. The pitch angle of the camera when shooting can make it break the jpg shot when scene lines are found to not be vertical.

YI 4K Lightroom (Android) corrected DNG file vs another YI 4K jpg

but the DNG's (jpg+RAW) of the same image retain optical distortion from the wide angle lens. Image color using Android Lightroom can be adjusted to the equivalent of YI 4K jpg.

YI 4K Lightroom (Android) corrected DNG file vs another YI 4K jpg

Blue channel and color histogram

Android Lightroom histogram and blue channel adjustment

Lightroom was easy to use as an automatic color correction of the DNG's. Additional corrections can be applied too.

The internet tells me that the ideal way to correct DNG color and optical distortion is with Adobe Lightroom / PS monthly subscription but options like rawtherapee exist for some RAW files.

I tried using 'rawtherapee' with and without GIMP but the autocorrect distortion did not find the requisite embedded 'jpg' in the metadata of the YI 4K's DNG file....so there's no optical distortion correction benefit to using rawtherapee with YI 4K DNG files.

It was fun to sort through the various aspects of shooting the YI 4K in RAW but I'll stick with the camera fixed jpg's for now.

BTW...the paid version of DaVince Resolve can make a distortion free short image movie from an imported DNG file... however the free version covers the distortion free short-movie-from-DNG with a full screen watermark. The optical correction is equivalent to YI 4K jpg's.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

• 2 weeks later...

While the majority of euc'ers on this forum will never see the inside of a hospital as a consequence of riding, I have the distinction of needing general anesthesia last fall to repair a facial cut obtained while riding. As the staff wheeled me into the OR (operating room) a woman playing the harp just outside the OR lent an angelic tone to the experience of impending loss of consciousness that general anesthesia produces. As a pharmacology professor from my 1970's era course said 'general anesthesia is like putting one foot of the patient into the grave'. 

I needed to return to the same Boston hospital today. The harpsichordist, who had played outside the OR in Nov 2019, was playing in a long general corridor referred to as 'the Pike'. She was very nice to listen to then and today.

Woman playing the harp.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi @Bob Eisenman. I've exceeded my like/upvote quota for today, so will have to check back in regarding that one. Thank you for sharing your experiences, they make for a great read.

General question (to everyone): Is the Gotway Monster any more reliable in 2020 verses previous model years? Can shell, axle, battery, and other problems be expected in under 10,000 miles?

While thinking about buying a 100V Monster from eWheels, several threads describe Gotway as being "a bit fragile" and replacement parts seem pretty costly compared to King Song. How many more years will parts for a Monster be available, given the Monster has been in the production line is it 3 years, and is perhaps due for replacement soon? If sales volume is low will Gotway continue to produce parts?

There is concern in buying a $2,800 (US) wheel and having to put $500 in parts into it every 4,000 miles (assuming it is not dropped, which will indeed happen).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

There is concern in buying a $2,800 (US) wheel and having to put $500 in parts into it every 4,000 miles

84 volt ,1600 wHr

Monster thoughts

Don't drop the Monster. Tighten up the axle nuts about every 500 miles ..before... the it makes noise. Consider using a fiberglass patch to repair the shell column bolt area if it cracks and live with the adfitional flex it will develop as the patch debonds a little.

shell

I'm on the second shell

Pedals...I broke one and replaced it...check for cracks before hopping back on each day.

axle

I've replaced the motor once due to a cracked axle

battery

I replaced one battery pack due to bad cells (only 77% max charge) and high cycle number (> 200 cycles, range in cold weather only twenty-ish miles) but with one new battery the range in 50ish F weather was 42 miles.

Don't leave your Monster out on the porch turned on over night in very cold winter weather....you'll risk losing some cells and be at 90-ish % max rather than 100% at full charge.

Main board....same one as original

I changed the tube when I replaced the motor.

The tire has a couple of millimeters of tread left on the original tire. A 22 inch wheel doesn't make as many RPM's per mile as a smaller diameter wheel.

I guess once you get a Monster up and running and paid for you look down at it while riding and think....wow this costs a lot to buy ....but it's paid for and runs reasonably well for a high mileage wheel.

I'm not into speed for a variety of reasons.....20 mph is fast for me and I average 12-14 mph when I go past the roadside speed displays set up for car monitoring.🙁🤔

If sales volume is low will Gotway continue to produce parts?

You'll have to ask eWheels or SpeedyFeet....once again....don't drop the Monster (it only takes one drop to break something, however small).

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1