Looking for a 16" upgrade to my KS 14D

FlyboyEUC

I ride in the street, daily commute to work. 18 mph is just a little on the slow side while cars are wizing by. I've done lots of research on the KS 16s and Tesla but I'm wondering if there will be any new 16" wheels in early 2019. I'm leaning towards the Tesla just because of the bigger battery and higher top speed, not that I'm a speed junky, I just hate riding the limit which I do everyday on my 14D. Any thoughts? 

49 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

I ride in the street, daily commute to work. 18 mph is just a little on the slow side while cars are wizing by. I've done lots of research on the KS 16s and Tesla but I'm wondering if there will be any new 16" wheels in early 2019. I'm leaning towards the Tesla just because of the bigger battery and higher top speed, not that I'm a speed junky, I just hate riding the limit which I do everyday on my 14D. Any thoughts? 

Why not consider the 18L?  Price?  If you are using it to commute, 18” would be more stable than 16” Tesla. 

@Brandon Cohen, here is a person upgrading from the 14D. 

• Upvote 1

Price is an issue and at least going from a 14" to 18" was uncomfortable. I felt like I couldn't turn. Maybe I just need more practice. I like the all around-ness of the 16" wheels.

10 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Price is an issue and at least going from a 14" to 18" was uncomfortable. I felt like I couldn't turn. Maybe I just need more practice. I like the all around-ness of the 16" wheels.

Ok, all the guys I know that owned a Tesla, face planted because they took off the tilt back.  Though I’m not sure if having tilt back enabled would save then, it might cause a cut out as well.  Max tilt back on GW is 48kmph.  

Yes, takes some getting used to turning on 18” at low speeds, but high speed is much easier to turn.  I out grew 16” and now very comfortable going 25-28mph cruising, sometimes hitting the max of 31mph with the tilt back reminding me I’m at the limit or 50kmph on the ks18L.  

5 more km on the ks16s will not satiate your need for speed.  But going fast on the Tesla is dangerous.  Yiu really can’t hear the beeps at those speed approaching 30mph.  Also by the time you hear it, you may push it beyond the limit resulting in a cutoff.  The Inmotion V10F goes 40km/h, or 25mph, but starts throttling as soon as 80%.  If it allow consistent 25mph I wouldn’t be selling it.  

‘Difficult choice you have ahead.  Only can tell you my experience.  Hope it helps instead of confuses.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This shows a 16S successor and the sweet sweet ACM2 (or better, a new Gotway 16 incher) are dearly missed:efee8c29ce: Come on, manufacturers!

We havent heard of anything yet, but KS wheels have always been announced long in advance (so no luck there), and Gotway might plop out a new model next week for all we know (but for now, they didn't, and except for more speed and a wider tire and big batteries there would be little difference to a Tesla, so less relevant to commuting).

So it's between the Tesla and the V10(F). Tesla is faster and maybe more nimble (wider and lower), but everyone likes the V10(F)'s tire, making the ride super cushioned. It's between speed (and maybe a bit of agility) and comfort. For commuting, I'd tend towards comfort, especially when an 18 incher (which would also be more comfortable and forgiving) is too big for you.

Which one do you prefer? Prices are 1300 V10, 1500 Tesla, 1600 V10F.

About 16 vs 18 inch, not only are the 18 inchers more expensive, heavy and may feel less maneuverable, the lower torque also makes them less snappy and instant. So people who prefer a wheel that takes little input (vs. leaning in harder) and a quick response will be more happy with a 16 incher. Personally, I'm like this too. 16 by 3 inches would be my ideal tire size, with thick tire walls for good cushioning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

About 16 vs 18 inch, not only are the 18 inchers more expensive, heavy and may feel less maneuverable, the lower torque also makes them less snappy and instant. So people who prefer a wheel that takes little input (vs. leaning in harder) and a quick response will be more happy with a 16 incher. Personally, I'm like this too. 16 by 3 inches would be my ideal tire size, with thick tire walls for good cushioning.

If you slap a bigger tire on a 16”, you get the same hesitation off the line that you have with the V10F, maybe.   The KS16 I have with 2.125’ wheel feels better off the line than the V 10F with the 2.5” tire.  The V10F behaves like a 18” off the line.  But after it gets going has better acceleration.

• Upvote 1

Never really looked into/been a fan of inmotion wheels. I don't plan on going faster than 25 mph. My commute has lots of hills (think San Francisco). I am also a small person and I think an 18" would look massive under me. 

Edited by Flyboy10

13 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

Never really looked into/been a fan of inmotion wheels. I don't plan on going faster than 25 mph. My commute has lots of hills (think San Francisco). I am also a small person and I think an 18" would look massive under me. 

V10F is same size as 18L, see?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

@Brandon Cohen, here is a person upgrading from the 14D. 

Thanks for pointing this out. Guess I'll chat with the wife and see what she thinks.

3 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

@Flyboy10 I've been considering getting the 14D. How long did you have it before you outgrew it? Is there any reason other than speed that you want to move on to a new wheel?

27 minutes ago, Brandon Cohen said:

I've been considering getting the 14D. How long did you have it before you outgrew it? Is there any reason other than speed that you want to move on to a new wheel?

I've had it for 3 ish months. I love it but for 3 months next year I'll be working at a different location and I don't want a 50 minute commute on my 14d. I also don't want to take the car and leave my wife helpless at home with a very active 16 month old. I'm looking for something with a little more speed to shorten that time. It's also a 10 mile trip as opposed to a 3 mile trip. At that mileage I'll be running into the 50% battery speed throttling before I get to work.

If it's a 10 mile commute then an 18 incher is a much better option, as the 18 inchers all cruise at 26 mph. 16 inchers just don't feel all that safe above 20 mph, in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Consider getting an electric bike? With responsibilities for a toddler at home I would think twice (at least) about using an EUC at 20+ mph on a regular ten miles commute. Just my 2 cents.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:17 PM, Flyboy10 said:

I was in the same situation. My old KS16D limited me with both range and speed. After a long research finally bought KS18L, but assumed that it will be my long-range wheel and for daily commuting I will still use KS16. I had similar feelings that 18-incher won't be so nimble for city rides and you know what? Now KS18L is my only wheel I use - for short and long rides, both for everyday commute and countryside touring. It's just matter of time and practice.

1 hour ago, Adam. said:

On paper I think the v10(F) would be a good fit if you want to stay in the 16 inch range. Totally unrelated but will you be selling the 14D?

v10 behaves like a 18" off the line, then has better acceleration when gets going than 18"...

@Adam. Don't know if I'll be selling the 14D. I wanted to have it as a back up or use it for other things but @Seba made a good point. Maybe I'll never use it once I get used to a bigger wheel. "Wheel" see. #dadjoke

2 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

@Adam. Don't know if I'll be selling the 14D. I wanted to have it as a back up or use it for other things but @Seba made a good point. Maybe I'll never use it once I get used to a bigger wheel. "Wheel" see. #dadjoke

alright wheel keep me in the loop :)

• 6 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 4:58 PM, Seba said:

I was in the same situation. My old KS16D limited me with both range and speed. After a long research finally bought KS18L, but assumed that it will be my long-range wheel and for daily commuting I will still use KS16. I had similar feelings that 18-incher won't be so nimble for city rides and you know what? Now KS18L is my only wheel I use - for short and long rides, both for everyday commute and countryside touring. It's just matter of time and practice.

will you by chance be selling the ks16? O:)