Dualtron Thunder

Alien Rides

On 9/20/2018 at 8:38 PM, Elder Meat said:

Impressive. Is it really close to 90 lbs in weight? I wonder how much of that is battery vs. motor. With scooters, it would be nice if you could have modular battery packs that snap in under the deck for extended range or lighter weight as desired.  

It is super heavy. The frame is solid, and all of the pieces of the scooter add up. The two hub motors, frame, handlebars, brakes... Maybe you could have modular battery packs, but even if you cut 20 lbs it would still be a pain to carry around. I guess just never carry these ?

2 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Very nice video, I would love to have one, but I had a bad experience @Jason McNeil came through and took it back, got MSX instead, but seriously miss the scooter rides......

Very interesting to hear what went wrong. Have a link or short writeup anywhere?

Picked one up a few weeks ago at LastMileSF in San Francisco. It is a complete beast, I am thrilled at every dollar spent. Picked up the fingerprint security too.

I weigh 220. Been 55mph on a flat straight. Can easily keep up with traffic on local roads up to 45mph with hills, etc., so using as real transportation is very doable.

So not a complete review in any way, too lazy. But I'll answer questions :D

• Like 2

On 9/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, dwallersv said:

Picked one up a few weeks ago at LastMileSF in San Francisco. It is a complete beast, I am thrilled at every dollar spent. Picked up the fingerprint security too. 

Nice, a few of us are going to be picking up Thunders soon I think. Let's do a Bay Area Dualtron ride soon!

On 9/29/2018 at 12:31 AM, Alien Rides said:

Very interesting to hear what went wrong. Have a link or short writeup anywhere?

hi, under Dualtron II EX pg.3 was my first incident and later on after little over 1 hr. ride similar thing :(

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 10:21 PM, Alien Rides said:

Nice, a few of us are going to be picking up Thunders soon I think. Let's do a Bay Area Dualtron ride soon!

I'm down with that! I'm a total noob to the board... how do I get hooked in / find out if it's happening?

On 10/6/2018 at 8:39 AM, dwallersv said:

I'm down with that! I'm a total noob to the board... how do I get hooked in / find out if it's happening?

Need to figure out the best way to organize. A bunch of us are on FB and we made a group here where we will probably post events: https://www.facebook.com/groups/777973599242912/

(If you are not on FB, or have better ideas, let us know and we can figure out something)

Edited by Alien Rides

On 10/8/2018 at 10:23 AM, Alien Rides said:

Need to figure out the best way to organize. A bunch of us are on FB and we made a group here where we will probably post events: https://www.facebook.com/groups/777973599242912/

(If you are not on FB, or have better ideas, let us know and we can figure out something)

There are several groups in my own area, one for EUC, one for One Wheel, a couple for E-skate.  I found the best way to have event listings is through a public Google Calendar. Here is ours Tinyurl.com/SeattleEventsCalendar
If you'd like help setting up your own, just let me know.

Edited by Esper
  • Like 1

That deck is lit.  Just curious - how’s the hill climbing like on the Thunder?  Any off-roading experience with it?  Or is it more for smooth pavement?  Any issues with wobbles after hitting potholes or other hazards?

Edited by Hunka Hunka Burning Love
  • Upvote 1

Beautiful, @Alien Rides!!

That can easily be set up with a switch on the handlebars, cabling hidden in the handle shaft, then run the power off the 12V DC/DC converter that runs all the lights already. As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm working on several mods involving the lighting and 12V electrical system. The main one I'm working on right now is adding a switch to the handlebars to use the yellow hazard LEDs as turn signals. I'm just waiting for this switch to arrive, HTB1OE_9ibZnBKNjSZFKq6AGOVXay.jpgand I'll have it done. I'm doing a DIY video, so you can reference that to hook your deck up in a more integrated way.

1 hour ago, dwallersv said:

Beautiful, @Alien Rides!!

That can easily be set up with a switch on the handlebars, cabling hidden in the handle shaft, then run the power off the 12V DC/DC converter that runs all the lights already.

That sounds awesome, can't wait to see what you do with yours! Still not sure if I want to tap into the main battery, want to try to preserve as much range as possible, but considering it. Will see how yours turns out :)

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Hunter said:

Is there a way to turn all the lights off? Like riding in the dark just like a bicycle? Sometimes I don’t need all those lights on.

Which lights? The brake/hazard on the back,  or the bling/headlights?

The former can be disabled by opening the deck and disconnecting the wires to the LEDs on the back. However, that would be foolish in the extreme, as that is essential safety signaling (braking).

The bling lighting and headlights are controlled on/off by a pushbutton switch on the right edge of the deck.

10 hours ago, dwallersv said:

The former can be disabled by opening the deck and disconnecting the wires to the LEDs on the back. However, that would be foolish in the extreme, as that is essential safety signaling (braking).

The bling lighting and headlights are controlled on/off by a pushbutton switch on the right edge of the deck.

Ok so the tail lights are in fact the only lights that can’t be turned off. How long would it take to do that (disconnecting them from leds) with opening the deck? Do I need to open deck the deck when it arrives & disconnect some wires to go faster than 15mph?

10 hours ago, dwallersv said:

I wonder it it’d be possible to install some type of toggle switch for the tail lights to turn them off & on

On 1/2/2019 at 7:56 PM, Hunter said:

Ok so the tail lights are in fact the only lights that can’t be turned off. How long would it take to do that (disconnecting them from leds) with opening the deck? Do I need to open deck the deck when it arrives & disconnect some wires to go faster than 15mph?

after the deck platform is removed and you find the wires (easy), seconds. Its a JST connector.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, Hunter said:

I wonder it it’d be possible to install some type of toggle switch for the tail lights to turn them off & on

Funny you would ask. I'm currently (lazily) working on a project to replace the two-button assembly on the left with the Hazard and Single/Dual button with a 3-button, ring-illuminated metal button set with the left and right buttons being turn signaling with the amber LEDs on the back, and the S/D in the middle. I've bought this switch to mount in replacement of the existing two-switch assembly (actual LED colors ordered red/blue/red):

HTB1cuwQESBYBeNjy0Feq6znmFXal.jpg

It's not nearly as big as it looks. Only a little wider than the existing switch assembly it's replacing.

In terms of the internal wiring/electrical, I'm replacing the existing 4-wire cable to that switch assembly with a 7-wire just a little bit thicker that fits down through the shaft channel just fine. Once down into the deck, the rest is just electrical, and pretty easy. Additional element is another LED blinker ($0.50), two diodes, and JST connectors. When I finally finish this, as I've mentioned in other threads, I'll post a DIY writeup with pictures and schematics.\

Point of all this is yes, if you wanted to control any of the stock lights, it's pretty easy. Just gotta run wires from under the deck to up the steering shaft to the handle, mount a switch, and wire it to the tail lights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@dwallersv

I'm trying to tap into the 12v connection for my Dualtron 3.  Before I go splicing wires I wanted to ask you.  I think the DC-DC converter is on the right side of the scooter housed in the plastic that hold the light switch.  I think I need to take that right side plastic off the scooter to expose that and tap into the wire from there?  I wanted to tap into the power before it hit the switch.  Does that sound about right?

Thanks!