Commuting - what do you carry?

Flying W

Its my 2 month EUC'versary and about 1 month riding to and from work. To all the other commuters,  what do you always take with you and what do you carry it in?

I started with suit pant pockets and my hands, that lasted one day. Then I went with a fanny pack which was alright but its warm during the day and cool at night for my ride home (around 10pm). Also I couldn't carry shoes so I was riding in my dress shoes.

Not wanting to ruin my dress shoes from stretching then out when my feet move I not have a messanger bag. Now I can take what ever I need, but being so new I'm probably missing something important ?

I have a pump with a valve stem extender, small pliers to remove something from the tire and let the slime do its job, Allen key for the pedal set screws and a small knife. What else should I keep with me every ride for that "just in case" situation?  

In addition to the above I always have the normal stuff like phone, wallet, water etc. 

Thanks for letting me piggyback on all the experience you all have!

I found a nice 44L backpack at REI outfitters.  I would have never bought one so big but it was very light and more comfortable than the smaller one.  it has straps to make it smaller when not using it’s full size. I keep my safety equipment in it when I am done riding. 

Rain - I keep a dollar store small roll of duct tape to cover the MSuper trolley handle and buttons if it ever rains hard. I also keep a cheap plastic poncho and trash bag. 

Food - backpack has a built in Camel back.   small box of Slin Jim’s and a pack of pop tarts or granola bars.  ( inspired by @Marty Backe ‘s rescue.) 

Lock- I keep a cable lock to keep honest people honest.

I'm also only a couple of months in, but I carry my charger, extra LED lighting and associated batteries for night riding, a portable compressor, valve extender, and digital tire gauge all in a laptop bag/messenger bag.

Thanks Rocky,  duct tape is great advice! If it's raining I'll drive the car haha, you're are more committed than me! 

I also had not thought about a lock.....maybe I need to get a monster so I can run a cable through the rim ?, of I go through the handle on the 16s it would be a slight deterant at best!

I normally commute with a deliberately small backpack (so I don't put too much in it)… It usually contains my laptop and a lunch (or two), but it always has in it;

• a valve extender
  • a small first aid kit
  • a lock (stranded cable)
  • and duct tape

The valve extender and duct tape are fairly self explanatory...

The lock has a fairly thin cable, thin enough to pass around the wheel arch and then secure to a post of some description. If you can get a cable around the axle, the wheel is quite secure (unless someone completely disassembles it). Depending where I was, I would most likely cab / Uber home with the wheel, but if that isn't possible then this is the next best option.

And just as the duct tape can temporarily repair my wheel, the first aid kit can assist me should the worst happen. I should point out that the first aid kit also includes OP rum - partly for medicinal purposes and partly as a condiment for one of my lunches.   :D

I took the wheel to the grocery store last night. I just put the wheel in the cart along with my pack. Even just sitting in the basket people kept asking what it was. 

So far everyone I've talked to thought it was really cool, but not something they would ever do. I stumbled onto a video of a guy called Chooch on YouTube flying through Denver. By about 5min into the video I knew I had to order one. I'm actually surprised that I haven't run into anyone with the same reaction I had. 

I would like to find knee protection that can go under suit pants and be removed without having to take the pant completely off. Most of my suits are too tight for normal knee pads so I'm going to work with wrist guards and a helmet. 

1 minute ago, Flying W said:

I took the wheel to the grocery store last night. I just put the wheel in the cart along with my pack. 

Good idea.

3 minutes ago, Flying W said:

So far everyone I've talked to thought it was really cool, but not something they would ever do. 

I have found that people are either hooked in five minutes or not interested. My boss bought his 15 minutes after he found out they existed.

6 minutes ago, Flying W said:

I stumbled onto a video of a guy called Chooch on YouTube flying through Denver. By about 5min into the video I knew I had to order one. I'm actually surprised that I haven't run into anyone with the same reaction I had.

Chooch got me too. I saw one fly by me in back in 2014 but could not identify it.  When I saw the Chooch and Duf videos I finally had enough info to find one. 

I use the smaller (woman's) version of this.

Canvas Backpack, P.KU.VDSL-AUGUR SERIES Vintage Canvas Leather Backpack Hiking Daypacks Computers Laptop Backpacks Unisex Casual Rucksack Satchel Bookbag Mountaineering Bag for Men Women https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSWUYGE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jAtNBbPHZK90G

You almost have to have the flap could me from the top in order to prevent homeless bums and feral teenagers from reaching into your bag (never put stuff in the zipper sides). Like many 3rd world tourists I often wear my backpack backwards when on public transportation.

Pepper spray.

Umbrella.

Multitool, in my case just a thick bicycle tool.

Electric pump. Essential.

Flat bicycle look of this type.

OVIIVO Bike Lock Cube Bike Lock Heavy Duty Anti-Theft Bicycle Chain Lock Folding with Mounting Bracket Hamburger Lock(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GR5416P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yQtNBb7PANF8B

Interestingly, the first one I got for a substantially lower price was used (not that I care) but the combo was set. Because the lock is flat it can pass through a lot of EUC wheels.

However, most of the time I ride my EUCs I use no equipment whatsoever, no backpack, cell phone, helmet, or any other equipment, and I will go like 10-30 miles.

The biggest issue I'm having at the moment is wanting to play on days off but needing to get to and from work. I only have 2 wheels and one is a trainer with a 132wh battery.  I already want one for weekend use that can wait for parts if I mess it up. 

So far the 16s is great for getting to work, i have one alarm at 20mph and tiltback at 22. Usually I dont even get a beep. If I'm going to fall in a suit and tie I'd prefer it to be under 20mph haha. I do baby this wheel though since it has to be ready for work. 

Since this forum is sort of like AA for wheel-o-holics I know I'm far from alone on wanting a wheel for every thing from mountain goat trails (MCM5 after watching Marty fly up over heat hill) to eating up miles on smooth bike trails. 

The 16s I think was great for a first real wheel since it does a little bit of everything but I know I'm going to want at least 2 more wheels and my smarter half was already thinking the training one was dumb (I dont think 38 is too old to play with "toys") but when I the 16s show up 2 weeks later she was not happy. Now that I've been going to work for a month she gets it, it will actually save us money eventually. 

15 minutes ago, Flying W said:

Now that I've been going to work for a month she gets it, it will actually save us money eventually. 

Have you worked out what your commuting costs used to be? Petrol, parking, train/bus fares... Don't forget any vehicle maintenance and also consider the time taken.

I have a very short commute, but was quite surprised at what the total costs added up to - That more than justified the cost of a wheel or two!   :thumbup:

Median costs of an US citizen is around 8k per year, not including all the other subsidies the government gives away to car drivers. To be honest most of us, including me, cannot really afford a car but we have one anyway.

After doing the car calculation, I'm convinced we are poor because we own a car. The car acts like a giant leech on your wallet.

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Have you worked out what your commuting costs used to be? Petrol, parking, train/bus fares... Don't forget any vehicle maintenance and also consider the time taken.

I have a very short commute, but was quite surprised at what the total costs added up to - That more than justified the cost of a wheel or two!   :thumbup:

Mine thinks the walking will do me good.. and is free.  Funny thing is though, im an analyst.. so lets do the math..

The first round of math... Not looking good.  Petrol is expensive and so is the bus.
image.thumb.png.bd73862421aad68b8360f5d0b70f2727.png

The second round of math.. Still not looking good, ferry is expensive but better than sitting in traffic.. i can work on the ferry, hrrmmm i should add that to the math..
image.thumb.png.c11761335c4da1974de62903d16dd2ad.png

Thats looking better... now im starting to make money :D Lets see how much i can save, errr make.....
image.thumb.png.3ccea2bbf7b7e712903f602060a52c39.png

My wife suggested the bus from the ferry to work.... looks a bit better still i suppooosee.. but we can do better.
image.thumb.png.948214913f6a13f65c48a05fd5ca5556.png

Thats what i was looking for..
image.thumb.png.2a0592cb86674f33215103150ff71c91.png

Now you will notice i am actually making quite a bit of money owning a wheel, combined with ultimate time savings and optimisation, proper planning and a bit of undeniable math and we get the best result for our family.  Math doesn't lie after all.

This of course all adds up (in my grand scheme) to what should make this a simple decision for the wife to accept.  I love excel.  

Cheers,
Alex
(your mileage may vary)

p.s - if anyone thinks about bringing up the extra costs i haven't included in owning a wheel, like owning another wheel, and maybe another, oh and the safety gear, the other safety gear, the many cans of tire slime i should apparently own, valve extenders, new suit pants for when i ruin them, the raincoat i will need, the EDC bag that will need to change, the selfie stick and upgraded go-pro, extra bandwidth for my videos and maybe more of a concern, the time out of my day spent on here.... please dont.

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

Mine thinks the walking will do me good.. and is free.  Funny thing is though, im an analyst.. so lets do the math..

The first round of math... Not looking good.  Petrol is expensive and so is the bus.
image.thumb.png.bd73862421aad68b8360f5d0b70f2727.png

The second round of math.. Still not looking good, ferry is expensive but better than sitting in traffic.. i can work on the ferry, hrrmmm i should add that to the math..
image.thumb.png.c11761335c4da1974de62903d16dd2ad.png

Thats looking better... now im starting to make money :D Lets see how much i can save, errr make.....
image.thumb.png.3ccea2bbf7b7e712903f602060a52c39.png

My wife suggested the bus from the ferry to work.... looks a bit better still i suppooosee.. but we can do better.
image.thumb.png.948214913f6a13f65c48a05fd5ca5556.png

Thats what i was looking for..
image.thumb.png.2a0592cb86674f33215103150ff71c91.png

Now you will notice i am actually making quite a bit of money owning a wheel, combined with ultimate time savings and optimisation, proper planning and a bit of undeniable math and we get the best result for our family.  Math doesn't lie after all.

This of course all adds up (in my grand scheme) to what should make this a simple decision for the wife to accept.  I love excel.  

Cheers,
Alex
(your mileage may vary)

p.s - if anyone thinks about bringing up the extra costs i haven't included in owning a wheel, like owning another wheel, and maybe another, oh and the safety gear, the other safety gear, the many cans of tire slime i should apparently own, valve extenders, new suit pants for when i ruin them, the raincoat i will need, the EDC bag that will need to change, the selfie stick and upgraded go-pro, extra bandwidth for my videos and maybe more of a concern, the time out of my day spent on here.... please don't.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

And while you're being practical with your hourly rate (for time saved), I think it is a bit low... I would ask how many hours that is in a year, and when you realise what that number is, you may want to put a higher value on it.

My take on this is that the minimum distance to "break even" would be about 3 km. After that, the increase in distance relates to an increase in saving... But there is a distance that an EUC stops being beneficial - when the distance is too great and the ride time becomes too long. Of course in that situation, a shorter drive (to a free parking area) followed by an EUC sector is still beneficial!

27 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Now that's what I'm talking about!

And while you're being practical with your hourly rate (for time saved), I think it is a bit low...

Want to hire me?

I would ask how many hours that is in a year, and when you realise what that number is, you may want to put a higher value on it.

I think your right to be honest, but it depends how you look at it.. math!

I am salaried, so i get my set amount regardless of hours.  If you break in into a 40hr week, im getting about $25hr, but thats not the case (sadly) and its a new job and building my brand corporate joke speak gotta work hard and implement new software yada yada means im doing about 70hr weeks.  Which means im at $15 an hour (this is all net btw).  Ouch that sucks.  Hrmm, but if we are being actual about it, and we are talking about what my time is worth, not what my work hours are worth, then for 24hrs a day, i get $6.10 an hour.  Im ok with that while i sleep i suppose...

Sorry, i digress again.  I like math :D (on a side note, the pre tax figures were painful to see)

Where were we... 

My take on this is that the minimum distance to "break even" would be about 3 km. After that, the increase in distance relates to an increase in saving... But there is a distance that an EUC stops being beneficial - when the distance is too great and the ride time becomes too long. Of course in that situation, a shorter drive (to a free parking area) followed by an EUC sector is still beneficial!

Pretty much my take on it as well, if time is your most critical component then this is an easy way to look at the math, and lets be honest i think most peoples time is their most critical component all other things going OK in life..  Of course, this takes the possibility of taking your car for the last mile instead of the first (in my situation at least). 

Good news for me, it looks like this might have worked on the wife.. :o 

Cheers, from a procrastinating scheming
Alex.

1 hour ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

p.s - if anyone thinks about bringing up the extra costs i haven't included in owning a wheel, like owning another wheel, and maybe another, oh and the safety gear, the other safety gear, the many cans of tire slime i should apparently own, valve extenders, new suit pants for when i ruin them, the raincoat i will need, the EDC bag that will need to change, the selfie stick and upgraded go-pro, extra bandwidth for my videos and maybe more of a concern, the time out of my day spent on here.... please dont.

Realistically, there will be (many) days when riding a wheel is not feasible or practical due to bad weather (horizontal rain days), even if it rarely snows on the North Island at sea level. Also, won't ferry and bus costs be higher if you purchase a day pass or single fare?

One shot of slime will last at least two years, and you should use less than 1/4 (4oz or less) of a 16oz bottle for a 16" wheel. Don't forget the extra (fast) charger, so you can leave one at work. You will probably purchase more than one helmet; sets of wrist and elbow guards, knee pads, and accessories, and that could easily top $1,000NZD or more for quality gear.

Nice pooch pic btw.

15 minutes ago, litewave said:

Realistically, there will be (many) days when riding a wheel is not feasible or practical due to bad weather (horizontal rain days), even if it rarely snows on the North Island at sea level. Also, won't ferry and bus costs be higher if you purchase a day pass or single fare?

One shot of slime will last at least two years, and you should use less than 1/4 (4oz or less) of a 16oz bottle for a 16" wheel. Don't forget the extra (fast) charger, so you can leave one at work. You will probably purchase more than one helmet; sets of wrist and elbow guards, knee pads, and accessories, and that could easily top $1,000NZD or more for quality gear.

Nice pooch pic btw.

I ride my Mini Pro in any weather, i dont caare :D I plan to do the same with my wheel (if i have to uber, so be it).  It never snows here either...

Ferry costs are fixed as we buy monthly passes.

And i thought we wouldn't talk about the ancillary costs.. BUT those can easily be justified to the wife at a later date once its too late!

Cheers, (are you my wife trying to poke holes in my argument to get a wheel?)
Alex.

Maybe each wheel needs a different strategy to be accepted. The math works out great for the first one, add a second one so we both can have fun together.....the plan falls apart at wheel #3 haha

I have an Allen for the pedals, screwdriver, small pliers, pump, stem extender and duct tape in a small zipper pouch to act as a tool kit. I think that should cover most things. 

Anyone try a foam insert or tire balls?

• 1 month later...

I wear wrist guards with a red bike light attached.  A finger bell to politely alert pedestrians that I'm there.  My helmet also has a rear light on it.  I carry a bike front light in case I work late (the V8 front light is too low to be really useful),  and my charger and charge doctor.   I have a spare power cable at work.   I also have a full locker at work so get changed into office clothes there.  I carry this in a small messenger bag that also has my lunch and phone.  If disaster happens there is always uber... 

I normally bike (rain,  hail or shine)  to work, so no $$ or time saving for me.   The bike is about 10min quicker than V8, and better at burning beer calories off.  But not as much fun.  So I only wheel to work once a week. 

Archived