Ninebot Z10 as my first wheel

Pete E

2 hours ago, Ziiten said:

Thanks for the encouraging words. I have also noticed that standing up straight (legs too) and relaxed works best. But as a newbie I find that difficult sometimes to trust the wheel, so I am in this crouched position which screws up the balance.

I like to think that when you feel like a sack of potatoes on a wheel, you've mastered proper riding form :D  A more specific description is that you should be loose but in control at all times.  Starting out, because of fear and trepidation, your natural instinct will be to go stiff; however, that's exactly the opposite of what you want.  If you're already self starting, doing straight runs and turns, then it'll be just a matter of time before it all gets committed to muscle memory and the wheel just becomes an extension of yourself and you don't even really think about it anymore.  That said, from the time I felt comfortable riding my first wheel on the street to the point where I'd describe riding the wheel as effortless was measured in weeks and many miles ;)

2 minutes ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Is it better to learn how to ride on low grass (grass with very low height) field than on a flat pavement?  What I meant about "better" is the idea of riding success as well as keeping the wheel from being damaged too much.

Ideally, you want a flat, even surface on which to train.  Grass can be tricky because it may appear "smooth" but the underlying turf is actually quite uneven.  Something you could do to minimize dings on the wheel is just create a make-shift cover you put on the wheel while you're training, being careful that said cover doesn't interfere with the wheel's movement, etc.  As long as you're training at low speeds, you're going to be more concerned about preventing dings and scratches that can happen from the wheel falling over or bouncing into a wall as opposed to high speed impacts that can crack the case. 

6 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Is it better to learn how to ride on low grass (grass with very low height) field than on a flat pavement?  What I meant about "better" is the idea of riding success as well as keeping the wheel from being damaged too much.

It can help you considerably & that is exactly where I took my first wheel when I initially ventured outside. You need to be on as smooth a grassy area as possible, but there will still be small irregularities in the surface that actually help in the learning process. With of course the benefit of softer landings if you drop the wheel/fall to the ground yourself.

4 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Bad news for me folks.  I thought that I was able to cancel my order of the Z10 (from Aliexpress) but unfortunately I changed my mind too late (I ordered 3 days ago) and I just got a message from the seller saying that he already paid for the freight and custom duties so I cannot cancel my order anymore and I should get the tracking number tomorrow.

So now back to square one.  I will have to cancel my MCM5 order and just stick with the Mten3 and the Z10.  I guess I am destined to ride the Z10.  Having 3 wheels would be too much for me.  I am not Marty.

It is going to be a tough road ahead in the learning process.  It will be a challenge for sure.

Not bad at all!

here is the truth: with the support from this forum, you can learn to any wheel faster than anyone! When you are fully prepared, the challenge gets easier. Have patience and everything will be fine.

i got Z10 one month ago, IS2 one and half month ago. I am new enough to feel all the newbie does.

Visit the forum often, keep training, you will see how it gets to you.:)

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning! I can relate to this. In a slightly different way. I also have a Z10. Unfortunately, anything else was not an option. I am a heavy rider. 6'4" and 300lbs. So, according to my research, Z10 was the only wheel that can support me.

So far, I had 3 sessions on it. On a last one, I got a big a-ha moment, that I never got on any "learn EUC" videos from YouTube - apparently, you go forward (relatively) straight, by shifting weight left and right with legs. It was one wobbly ride, but I stayed on the wheel longer than before. 

One more thing - I kept the settings on a defaults. So it was speed locked to like 3.4 mph - 7 km/h. I wonder if that is too low. Anyway, I will try to bump it up and see if that provides enough stability.

And a question - when the wheel tilts to a side, it gives me 2 beeps. Since I can't keep it straight (yet), it's beeping me all the time, while I am wobbling. What does that mean? Is it because speed was locked too low and I was reaching the limit? 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Sergei Dubovsky said:

Good morning! I can relate to this. In a slightly different way. I also have a Z10. Unfortunately, anything else was not an option. I am a heavy rider. 6'4" and 300lbs. So, according to my research, Z10 was the only wheel that can support me.

So far, I had 3 sessions on it. On a last one, I got a big a-ha moment, that I never got on any "learn EUC" videos from YouTube - apparently, you go forward (relatively) straight, by shifting weight left and right with legs. It was one wobbly ride, but I stayed on the wheel longer than before. 

One more thing - I kept the settings on a defaults. So it was speed locked to like 3.4 mph - 7 km/h. I wonder if that is too low. Anyway, I will try to bump it up and see if that provides enough stability.

And a question - when the wheel tilts to a side, it gives me 2 beeps. Since I can't keep it straight (yet), it's beeping me all the time, while I am wobbling. What does that mean? Is it because speed was locked too low and I was reaching the limit? 

Thank you.

I haven't noticed any side tilt/wobble beeps. Only when it falls to the ground completely it sets off an alarm sound and red lights. Maybe those beeps are warning that you are at 7 km/h 

1 hour ago, Sergei Dubovsky said:

Thank you.

The beeping is most likely from the very low speed. Experiment with the max speed settings.

Once you are riding confidently with the Z10, please do let us know how it's working for you. We don't have many riders of your stature around, so it's always great to hear how the various wheels perform under the greater stress.

Nice choice for a first wheel :cheers:

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

We don't have many riders of your stature around, so it's always great to hear how the various wheels perform under the greater stress.

Nice choice for a first wheel :cheers:

Actually, I am one of those newbie who has never ridden an EUC before and I just bought the Z10, the Glide 3, and the Mten3.

However, I will probably learn on the Glide 3 so if I scratch it up a bit, it will not be too bad.  I hate to scratch up the Z10.

All 3 EUCs are still brand new and have never been ridden.  I will ride (at least learn to)  the Glide 3 for the first time tomorrow.  I got these 3 EUC recently but I have not had the time to learn riding anyyet.

2 hours ago, SanDiegoGuy said:

Actually, I am one of those newbie who has never ridden an EUC before and I just bought the Z10, the Glide 3, and the Mten3.

However, I will probably learn on the Glide 3 so if I scratch it up a bit, it will not be too bad.  I hate to scratch up the Z10.

All 3 EUCs are still brand new and have never been ridden.  I will ride (at least learn to)  the Glide 3 for the first time tomorrow.  I got these 3 EUC recently but I have not had the time to learn riding anyyet.

Wow, what a selection of first wheels. Fun times ahead :cheers:

Good choice to learn on the Glide 3

I just logged one more session on Z10. So far, I am abusing local tennis court. It have semi-soft-ish honeycomb-like surface. Just what I need not to scratch the Wheel. The goal for today was to control the wobble. I figured out, by reading the forum, that I am not supposed to tilt the wheel, but steer with hips rotation.

Damn. As soon as I am up there, all the theory flies out the window. I am holding for my dear life. Yet, by the end of session, I was able to stay on the wheel for several laps along the half of court. Wheel was not beeping any more, so it was definately a speed limit warning. 

The goal for tomorrow is to go straight. And if I am not too exhausted, to figure out how to decelerate/stop.

On 8/24/2018 at 8:41 PM, Shemp said:

Has anybody tried the InMotion "training brushes" or a DIY equivalent on the Z10?  Seems like that might be a good way for the noobs to get going.

Back to this question. These were discussed below. I’m not sure if it ever got funded adequately to go into production as it was a Kickstarter project?

One more session. This time I was doing laps around the whole court. Straight line was relatively straight, right turns with wide radius were also easy. And I figured out the triangle mount-dismount. Yay, that's an answer to pressure bruises on the inner shin. It's way easier to not hold the 50lbs wheel straight by keeping it with the side of the leg. I also managed to slow down and stop gracefully several times.

Not so good yet - I applied the skateboard tape(?) that sandpaper-like thingy, that eWheels guys asked the Ninebot for. It holds my feet in place like a glue. Well, it's good if I step up the right foot into proper place. If the position is off - I have no way to move it back or forth. That was the biggest issue. I positioned my feet forward a bit. It feels weird. I wear size 13 (47EU) shoes, so it almost looks like my toes sticking out in front of the wheel. Yet, I still feel ton of pressure in my feet arches, as I am pressing forward with toes. I need to work on that.

Left turns were not as good as right ones. I tilt the wheel bit  too much, for some reason, so if I am trying to get a 5m arch, I am getting a 1m turn. Sometimes it's way more tilted than I can correct, so I have to jump off.

Wheel took a crapton of beating. It just run off forward, if I step up at a speed. So it crashed into a wall couple times. Several flips in the air and so on. So far, noting is broken. Yay Ninebot!

One more session. Feels like regress. When I ride, my feet arches hurt like hell.Almost cramping. Not sure what is going on. I tried to preposition back and forth on pedals, it doesn't seems to make any difference. Still hurts. 

It looks like I am doing most of driving with my left leg. So I have troubles with left turns. I just can't lift weight from the left side in a controlled manner. Wide left turns are so-so, but I can't do anything tight on a left side. Right turns are not a problem at all. I was trying figure 8 - no luck. When I get to let turns, I have to step-off. 

I was tempted to try the bike trail... But, I decided against it. My Fox ProFrame is in a mail and I don't want to risk it with bike helmet.

14 hours ago, Sergei Dubovsky said:

When I ride, my feet arches hurt like hell.

I'm still learning myself, and after 20-30 minutes my feet hurt as well. I have to take a 5-10min break before resuming practice to work out the aches. I figure it's just using muscles I'm not used to using in what's effectively a stationary position.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone this is my first message on this forum... I'm waiting for my first EUC that will be the ninebot z6. I'm about 200 pounds (90 kg) and I'm from Barcelona... I have one ninebot mini pro. I don't know how difficult is going for mi to learn I have experience in snowboard, sky, kitesurf, rollerblade... But let's see... I'm hungry to learn!! I also hope z6 was enough powerful to ride like 15miles... 

I will tell you something about my process... 

Sorry about my English... I'll do my best

9 hours ago, Guillenava22 said:

I'm hungry to learn!! I also hope z6 was enough powerful to ride like 15miles... 

For 15 miles Z6 should be fine if You ride slow / without pushing the wheel to the max. To learn / discuss - You can maybe contact @RoberAce  he is from Madrid... *I hope you guys talk sometimes between Barcelona and Madrid... 

Archived