How slow can you go? EUC Challenge!

eddiemoy

Been practicing going slow.  What I realized is that going slow is an advanced skill.  Most people who start learning EUC try to go slow because of the fear of falling.  That’s probably why it takes so long to learn.  In order for you to learn balance, you must be going at a reasonable clip which is slightly faster than fast walking, around 8kmph...  

Here is the challenge to anyone who world accept.  Setup two points, 20ft apart.  Ride your EUC as slow as you can between the two points and record your time in seconds.

Rules:

1) cannot go backwards during any time between the points

2) feet cannot touch the ground

3) try to stay within 1-2ft side to side  

FYI, normal waking speed is about 5.5 seconds to traverse the 20ft, or about 4kmph.

My best time was 14 seconds, or 1.5kmph.

Let the games begin!  A game where you shouldn’t get hurt.  LOL

Bahh you bring this up just as I cought a cold. Hmm maybe I can train this in the basement....

34 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Been practicing going slow.  What I realized is that going slow is an advanced skill.  Most people who start learning EUC try to go slow because of the fear of falling.  That’s probably why it takes so long to learn.  In order for you to learn balance, you must be going at a reasonable clip which is slightly faster than fast walking, around 8kmph...  

Here is the challenge to anyone who world accept.  Setup two points, 20ft apart.  Ride your EUC as slow as you can between the two points and record your time in seconds.

Rules:

3) sideways within reason, meaning you can’t go side to side 10ft, try to stay within 1-2ft side to side  

FYI, normal waking speed is about 5.5 seconds to traverse the 20ft, or about 4kmph.

what’s ur best time with the 18s? that’s the wheel to practice on.

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

what’s ur best time with the 18s? that’s the wheel to practice on.

11.2sec. Lol.  Yes, the bigger the wheel, the more effort.  Will try to improve the time.  

10 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

11.2sec. Lol.  Yes, the bigger the wheel, the more effort.  Will try to improve the time.  

i’m kinda always doing that because at the end of my road is my gate i grab on to and it does take some skill on the 18s to get that stopping just right so i don’t topple over. the V10F is waay easier. 

I picked up slow riding as I was learning, but like it everything else is still improving being only like ~5-10 hours experienced. As soon as the wheel starts falling off to one side, I pulse the pedal forward just enough to regain balance, rinse and repeat.  It's definitely been helpful to be able to go 1-3mph while I'm stuck behind people on the sidewalk. Or if the cross-walk sign is seconds away from lighting up and I don't want to dismount, so instead I creep to the curb. 

On 6/18/2018 at 1:56 AM, eddiemoy said:

Rules:

3) sideways within reason, meaning you can’t go side to side 10ft, try to stay within 1-2ft side to side  

You should define a maximum width too. That's how it's one (or used to be done) on your motorcycle driving test. You had to ride between 2 lines a certain distance apart and it should take you at least 10 seconds.

Slow riding is something I have spent a lot of time doing.  I find that the secret to slowest riding is that you bend your knees and allow the wheel to start to fall , then use your body to counterbalance and cause it to correct the fall.  I haven't been able to do this for a little while longer than my memory will allow me to explain more specifically since my wheel is not here right now, but that seems to be the gist of it.

Even more fun and challenging is riding really slow in the grass or on an uneven surface.  I got to the point that when my GF and I would go to the park (before they graciously banned me from riding at the park "because kids might get hurt on their hoverboards if they see you riding this in the park and think they can ride their hoverboards here"), she would walk at a leisurely pace to what part of the park she was interested in going to, and I tried to ride next to her.  I guess I got to about 2 or 3 mph at my best, but it was hard to keep consistent in the grass.

Slow riding on grass can be made even a lot more difficult if you enable the softest mode available for your wheel. The hard mode on modern wheels is cheating!

Archived