Gotway Tesla Stabilization Problem?

Hi everyone!  I've reached out to my Tesla seller but I thought I would reach out to this community to see if you guys would have any knowledge into my recent accident.

What happened: I was riding my friend's Gotway Tesla (1020WH) on a pretty flat surfaced parking lot area at a fairly fast speed (but manageable and not dangerously fast), when I heard one beep and then the pedals began to tilt forward towards the ground  (essentially the opposite direction of the tilt back speed/power saving setting).  I lost balance and then my toe dug into the ground and I subsequently twisted my ankle along with acquiring some other scrapes.  It was as if the stabilization in my Tesla just shut off when I was riding. I hobbled back to my Tesla to find it still on and then shut it off.

Anyone ever have this happen to them or have any knowledge as to what might have been the problem.  I'm fairly experienced on Electric Unicycles and have used Gotway products in the past (MSuperV3, Monster, Mten3, personal Tesla) with no major problems.

My friend has taken a couple spills with his Tesla (all of which I've been around for) and it's taken 2 or 3 standard spills (due to him messing up) and it's comparable to what I've done as well with my personal Tesla, if not less.  My personal Tesla has been through quite a few spills and I've been riding it for about a few months (November 2017) with absolutely no problems.

Thanks for your input everyone!

-Pavel

The fact that you heard a beep is important, hopefully that will help gotway. The forward lean is important too, sounds to me like the battery had an issue delivering the required current.  There may be a problem with the battery pack being able to deliver the required power.  What was the battery level?  Seems like a current limit somewhere, maybe in a connection if not in the pack. 

From your description I can't tell if you are describing a cutout or pedals that tilted forward. There's a big difference.

However, you mention a "beep". That is consistent with the control board shutting the motor off which happened to me and my MSuper, once. In my case it was a firmware issue.

But I don't know. You mention "began tilting forward", like it was a slow process verses instantaneous motor shutoff.

How fast is fast (try an give us an approximately absolute speed), and what was your approximate battery level?

@Marty Backe When I said "began tilting forward"  I meant to say that it pretty much instantaneously tilted forward.  The Tesla did not shut off though and was still on however.

As far as how fast I was going, I wasn't using the app or anything but I'd ballpark around 20mph.  The battery was fully charged; it was charged the night before.

I didn't attempt to accelerate to top speed from a standstill or anything.  I by no means tried to push the unit's capabilities.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Pavel Tsuji said:

@Marty Backe When I said "began tilting forward"  I meant to say that it pretty much instantaneously tilted forward.  The Tesla did not shut off though and was still on however.

As far as how fast I was going, I wasn't using the app or anything but I'd ballpark around 20mph.  The battery was fully charged; it was charged the night before.

I didn't attempt to accelerate to top speed from a standstill or anything.  I by no means tried to push the unit's capabilities.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

OK. So that's classic cut-out, where the wheel beeps once and the motor stops being energized. The unit itself however remains on.

The big question is why. Usually it would be the result of experiencing a power demand that it can't meet, such as recovering from a large bump or some other event that requires a large amount of power to compensate. Yet you say the pavement was totally flat.

Hmmm. I've got nothing, and that's disturbing for sure.

Oh, BTW, you said it was fully charged. You weren't by chance traveling down hill, even slightly?

@Marty Backe, do you think there's any prior or previous crash to the Telsa that may have had an effect?  I've seen Teslas and other Mten3s go through the standard crashes but they turn on and work just fine afterwards no problem.... Is there the possibility that a particular crash may have impacted the internals of the Tesla, thus causing a defect or something faulty?

No, I was traveling on a flat surface.  Would a tire with insufficient psi cause enough strain to the unit when traveling at a faster speed?  I did fill the tire up with air the night before... 

4 minutes ago, Pavel Tsuji said:

@Marty Backe, do you think there's any prior or previous crash to the Telsa that may have had an effect?  I've seen Teslas and other Mten3s go through the standard crashes but they turn on and work just fine afterwards no problem.... Is there the possibility that a particular crash may have impacted the internals of the Tesla, thus causing a defect or something faulty?

No, I was traveling on a flat surface.  Would a tire with insufficient psi cause enough strain to the unit when traveling at a faster speed?  I did fill the tire up with air the night before... 

I really can't think of a prior accident that could cause this. Certainly if the Tesla feels great normally than it shouldn't quit at a relatively low speed.

You said that you filled the tire so I can't low tire pressure as a problem unless it lost a bunch of air overnight. Then you have other problems.

I really can't think of what the problem is based on what you've written.

@Marty Backe, well thanks anyway.  It's really weird and honestly scary if this could happen to other Tesla users.  I understand Gotway has had some issues in the past, but I've been under the impression as well as having my own anecdotal experiences that the Tesla and Mten3 run perfectly fine without any operating problems.  Do you mind if I ask if you've had any troubling experiences with the Tesla and Mten3?

1 minute ago, Pavel Tsuji said:

@Marty Backe, well thanks anyway.  It's really weird and honestly scary if this could happen to other Tesla users.  I understand Gotway has had some issues in the past, but I've been under the impression as well as having my own anecdotal experiences that the Tesla and Mten3 run perfectly fine without any operating problems.  Do you mind if I ask if you've had any troubling experiences with the Tesla and Mten3?

My Tesla has been operating perfectly, with over 250-miles ridden. My Mten3 had a battery failure (which I was able to fix) which was documented here in the forum.

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My Tesla has been operating perfectly, with over 250-miles ridden. My Mten3 had a battery failure (which I was able to fix) which was documented here in the forum.

I see...  Do you mind linking me to the Mten3 documentation or telling me how to find it?  

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Pavel Tsuji said:

I see...  Do you mind linking me to the Mten3 documentation or telling me how to find it?  

Thanks

If you go to the upper right on any page in this forum there is a search box. Type stuff in (like "mten3 battery") and hit enter.

Here's the page regarding my battery issue and follow-up.

13 hours ago, Pavel Tsuji said:

Hi everyone!  I've reached out to my Tesla seller but I thought I would reach out to this community to see if you guys would have any knowledge into my recent accident.

What happened: I was riding my friend's Gotway Tesla (1020WH) on a pretty flat surfaced parking lot area at a fairly fast speed (but manageable and not dangerously fast), when I heard one beep and then the pedals began to tilt forward towards the ground  (essentially the opposite direction of the tilt back speed/power saving setting).  I lost balance and then my toe dug into the ground and I subsequently twisted my ankle along with acquiring some other scrapes.  It was as if the stabilization in my Tesla just shut off when I was riding. I hobbled back to my Tesla to find it still on and then shut it off.

Anyone ever have this happen to them or have any knowledge as to what might have been the problem.  I'm fairly experienced on Electric Unicycles and have used Gotway products in the past (MSuperV3, Monster, Mten3, personal Tesla) with no major problems.

My friend has taken a couple spills with his Tesla (all of which I've been around for) and it's taken 2 or 3 standard spills (due to him messing up) and it's comparable to what I've done as well with my personal Tesla, if not less.  My personal Tesla has been through quite a few spills and I've been riding it for about a few months (November 2017) with absolutely no problems.

Thanks for your input everyone!

-Pavel

Yip,

this allready happend to another guy somewhere in asia, and that on a Speed between 30-40kmh.

So you are not the first. In the aftermath of the asians guys fall, the same was described, aka "no cutout", "wheel still works", "out of nowhere".....

Documented in this vlog...17:53

or here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/GotWay/permalink/1621618561229793/

So there seams to be a severe Problem at least on a small number of Tesla's....but as it is with Gotway, you get this risk for free when you buy one ;-)

I have to say i also owned a Tesla for about 500km...and i had no Problems at all with it (like Marty), but as you see there is no guarantee for this.

Your cut out sounds like mine, though I was going a bit slower than you, and could tell I hit a small bump. Tesla seems to still work fine, but the one thing I have noticed is occasional "jitters" and loss of balance when coming to a stop - it's hard to describe. It's hard to reproduce (seen twice in ~400 miles), and it's probably not what caused the cut out as it's different conditions.

Anyway, still riding the Tesla, but definitely scared that it might decide to throw me off at any time  ?

i tried this yesterday is was riding with about 30 percent battery

and then here was motor cycle behind me and i speed up but i did it a little too fast and i heard beep and the tesla did like a half cutoof almost it like tilted foward like if it was about to cut off but i leaned back and saved it and slowed down

definetly a close call i think its something like this you experienced its not stabilization its just lack of power when you accelerate too fast at low battery

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

i tried this yesterday is was riding with about 30 percent battery

and then here was motor cycle behind me and i speed up but i did it a little too fast and i heard beep and the tesla did like a half cutoof almost it like tilted foward like if it was about to cut off but i leaned back and saved it and slowed down

definetly a close call i think its something like this you experienced its not stabilization its just lack of power when you accelerate too fast at low battery

Yes, it sounds similar, well caught.  But He states that the battery was charged the previous night, so low battery is, on the face of it, not the problem

On 2/25/2018 at 11:11 PM, Pavel Tsuji said:

The battery was fully charged; it was charged the night before.

And hard acceleration is apparently not the issue either.  It's a mystery right now.

The slight lean forward where you feel it is not quite a cut-out, but a last minute warning of overlean - there's not enough power to save you in those cases. You can save yourself from falling when that happens, but only if you have very fast reflexes.

19 minutes ago, Kevin Grandon said:

The slight lean forward where you feel it is not quite a cut-out, but a last minute warning of overlean - there's not enough power to save you in those cases. You can save yourself from falling when that happens, but only if you have very fast reflexes.

when i experienced it it was not a slight lean forward it was like the wheel cut out and fell forward in an instant but i just managed to save it. 

My reaction time is slightly better than average at about 160ms that could be difference between falling or not

reaction time test: here: https://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/

works best on pc since there is delay on touchscreen

Archived