On 18/02/2017 at 5:47 PM, Smoother said:

Its good to see people's ideas.  This is how the knowledge base grows.  Good work.

Thanks Smoother, you're right, it's great to see the mods people are doing.

I didn't see many about padding,just the protection foam that comes with unicycles being used for leg padding.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has been experimenting with different paddings as well ;)

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Hi all, just a quick update:

The knee-elbow soft guards/pads are still working great! :)

Also wanted to let you know that I'm going to receive a RockWheel GT16 V2 very soon, the V2 is supposed to have soft padding, I will let you know my thoughts.

If not comfortable enough I may need to remove the knee-elbow soft guards/pads from the IPS to use them on the RockWheel, or buy another pair.

I'll keep you posted!

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2017 at 8:03 AM, vivzkice said:

AFTER and BEFORE. the factory red cushion was made of silicon rubber and weighs thrice that of a yoga mat. Then i replace it. the blue Yoga mat was cut to shape. It matched to the lighting colors too :) 

20272938_10212531756704003_90692743_o.jpg

20353968_10212531745143714_996069415_o.jpg

It looks cool! Would you say the mat is enough padding? I was thinking of using the same for my RockWheel GT16, however it may not be enough padding for me. Would it keep the usual shape or would it stay thin/compressed after some time?

I've had a good experience with Volleyball/MMA knee pads, so I just ordered a new pair for the RW GT16 from the UK, this is the best deal I found:

http://m.ebay.ie/itm/EVO-Arts-martiaux-MMA-Volley-ball-Catch-Knee-Tapis-Protecteurs-sangles-/263108613314?var=&hash=item3d427ed4c2%3Am%3AmjAOgOdTCHJi5Fdlw6i0xFg&_trkparms=pageci%3A5795ea1c-7b97-11e7-9ab7-74dbd180d28c%7Cparentrq%3Abdc7944315d0a8672750a089fffd8034%7Ciid%3A1

I've also tried a new thing in the RockWheel GT16, the pads that would be added to the bottom of the legs of a table.

It improved the comfort a bit, however not enough.

15021279542721567822349.jpg

$_3 (5).JPG

• Upvote 1

I put some of that "baby protection" padding on my euc. I though it didn't change that much as my left leg was still sore and completely red/blue from learning (see picture in other thread ...). So now that I sort of have the hang of it I thought "ow well, let's remove it". Well, it seems it made a difference after all ... I put it back on after only a few tries of riding. Maybe my leg needs to heal first :P 

22 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

I put some of that "baby protection" padding on my euc. I though it didn't change that much as my left leg was still sore and completely red/blue from learning (see picture in other thread ...). So now that I sort of have the hang of it I thought "ow well, let's remove it". Well, it seems it made a difference after all ... I put it back on after only a few tries of riding. Maybe my leg needs to heal first :P 

Haha I thought the same after months of riding, that I may not need extra padding anymore, however I was wrong, as soon as I removed the padding it did hurt, so had to put the new one on.

I must say there is a big difference between wheels. On the practice wheel it hurts. I used my Inmotion V8 once, without any extra padding, and I guess it's because of the shape/height of the thing, but there I felt nothing at all.

On 8/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, Jean Dublin said:

It looks cool! Would you say the mat is enough padding? I was thinking of using the same for my RockWheel GT16, however it may not be enough padding for me. Would it keep the usual shape or would it stay thin/compressed after some time?

Personal cut play mat or yoga mat fits best especially for our protruding inner bone calves which cushioned most of the  pains being felt with your bone to plastic contact.  Another reason, as yoga mat is entirely of the same material to slippers, it acts like a vertical slipper to protect your lower limbs against hard plastic EUC body just like acting similar to your insoles to the ground contact but just positioned horizontally.  And slippers / play mat materials retains its shape throughout time, it doesn't shrinked or compressed.

Finally, why it is best cushioning material is that because even if this mat will be soaked in the rain or wash with water, it will eventually dry like a slipper. Unlike other foam materials they are likely to retain all the water.

Today, I removed the wide blue yoga mat padding and minimize the size for just specific cushioning area. As the skills improved, you will no longer have to squeezed the EUC with both legs anymore.  During training days, almost your entire legs from calves to your inner knees squeezed the EUC just to stay in control. But as soon as your skills get better, only the calves are mostly in contact with the EUC. 

20747822_10212685441186019_1027757844_o.jpg

20727498_10212685441146018_1761966287_o.jpg

Edited by vivzkice
adding answer to the quote
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, zlymex said:

I believe the height of the EUC decides the pain.

And the variation in pain perception by different persons, which may be even more important. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

My V8 gives me zero pain

exactly, you ;) not me. Then, the round shape of the contact area also plays a role as to why it gives you less pain than your 14" wheel, am I wrong? 

11 hours ago, Mono said:

exactly, you ;) not me. Then, the round shape of the contact area also plays a role as to why it gives you less pain than your 14" wheel, am I wrong? 

No, the problem is the hard material on the side of the 14" wheel. And because the contact point on my leg is a lot lower there is a lot more pressure coming through the pedal on my leg. Same weight  on the pedal pushing the euc against my leg (me), smaller angle against my leg (because of lower wheel), more pressure on leg and smaller contact patch between leg and euc (it's a 90 degree rounded corner that pushes against my leg, not some big surface).

My V8 sits about 10cm higher against my leg.

Edited by ir_fuel

To be totally honest you are normally better off padding your leg rather than the wheel when you begin.

If you pad the wheel the impact and pressure on your legs that causes the bruising and pain is lessened by the padding but it is still there, whereas if you pad your legs the impact is on the padding and never affects your leg directly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 16/08/2017 at 10:14 AM, Gimlet said:

To be totally honest you are normally better off padding your leg rather than the wheel when you begin.

If you pad the wheel the impact and pressure on your legs that causes the bruising and pain is lessened by the padding but it is still there, whereas if you pad your legs the impact is on the padding and never affects your leg directly!

Good point.

However, my wife didn't like the green "baby protection foam" padding I stuck on my lower legs with superglue :( 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I want to add, the Gotway ACM, raising the pads up a bit makes it comfortable enough, no pain. 

The KingSong 18L also perfect no pain, no need for extra padding :)

Gotway MSX is painful (even with their improved pads). Gotway MCM5 too(with original pads) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 7:26 PM, vivzkice said:

Personal cut play mat or yoga mat fits best especially for our protruding inner bone calves which cushioned most of the  pains being felt with your bone to plastic contact.  Another reason, as yoga mat is entirely of the same material to slippers, it acts like a vertical slipper to protect your lower limbs against hard plastic EUC body just like acting similar to your insoles to the ground contact but just positioned horizontally.  And slippers / play mat materials retains its shape throughout time, it doesn't shrinked or compressed.

Finally, why it is best cushioning material is that because even if this mat will be soaked in the rain or wash with water, it will eventually dry like a slipper. Unlike other foam materials they are likely to retain all the water.

Today, I removed the wide blue yoga mat padding and minimize the size for just specific cushioning area. As the skills improved, you will no longer have to squeezed the EUC with both legs anymore.  During training days, almost your entire legs from calves to your inner knees squeezed the EUC just to stay in control. But as soon as your skills get better, only the calves are mostly in contact with the EUC. 

20747822_10212685441186019_1027757844_o.jpg

20727498_10212685441146018_1761966287_o.jpg

What brand is your wheel? Never seen before....