Is 2 wheels inline a good idea? (video)

Chen

Your topic has been moved to the "Off Topic" sub-forum because it's clearly not a euc.

In your youtube description it says (bold red emphasis mine):

The toastbike mini is a new type of self-balancing scooter. This is our first prototype, it has 800 watt rear hub motor running at 60 volts. The stability and passing ability are much better than E-unicycle and Segway, because toastbike mini has 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel. The max speed is 30 kmp (18 mph), range is around 40 kilometres (25 miles) on a single charge.

I would like to know in what way is this device "self-balancing"? Does it self-balance on the left/right plane? I ask this because it's obviously not self-balancing in the front/back plane as it has two wheels "inline" like a bike.

Hi.  Some observations :

It looks cool.

that rear cut out in the body will throw a line of water right up your back when the roads wet

that rear cut out could entangle a limb or piece of clothing 

the name is horrible

its less manoeuvrable than an EUC ( can't turn in a small space)

it doesn't eliminate face plants; nothing to stop rider continuing forward when a  wheel stops dead at an obstacle

i can't see how the rider would stay upright on hills ( but you may have a system in place ) , no hills in your video

its as big as a small bike so it doesn't save much space, but gives you no place for your hands, so no face plant protection, like a bike has

you can't fold it like a folding bike, so it's less functional for commuters

im not sure a castor wheel is a good idea except on a supermarket trolley, and even then we've all used a trolley where one castor just won't stop flipping from left to right. There's only so much leaning into a turn on a castor, before gravity pulling the wheel sideways starts to fight with the drivers intended turning radius. I notice you make almost no turns.

i think your machine has serious manoeuvring flaws which you conveniently didn't show in your video.  More like a commercial that an informational piece.

so in conclusion, it's just ANOTHER transport toy, it solves no current problems, other than its probably easier to learn than an EUC.  But at least on an EUC, once you have learned, the form of the machine becomes an asset not a liability, as in this case.  It's like a bike from which you can never remove the training wheels. imho. 

Nice try.  Well done for actually getting something off the drawing board and into a functional, attractive prototype.  But I think you already know all the points I have mentioned, and probably more besides. Did you really think at least one of us wouldn't notice?  And I bet I've missed several "problem areas" too.  Keep inventing, maybe one day we'll all be riding one of your inventions, just not this one.

Welcome to the forum @Chen. No doubt a serious amount lot of time and effort went into your design! Please provide additional information about your unique invention! 

Thanks a lot for all your replies, especially thank you @Smoother, I agree with most of your opinions. I would like to talk more about this idea.

I bought an EUC 3 years ago, at first I wanted to use it for commuting, my office is around 10 km away from home.  But I found it's a little bit dangerous as a transport tool, only one wheel means you have only one point to stand on. So EUC is just a toy for me.  Once a time, I saw somebody playing dirtsurfer, so I thought maybe I could combine EUC and dirtsurfer. 

Well, at beginning, I aimed to make it a high speed sport toy, just like dirtsurfer. So I chose 16 inch wheel size, and a bigger battery pack. But when I finished and tried to ride it, sure 2 wheels's performance is better than EUC, I found it's still scared when I speed up to 25km and above. With no handle bar, it would not be a real traffic tool, it's just a toy. After many test ridings, I realised that I should choose smaller wheel size, like 10 inch front wheel and 8 inch rear one, then, it will be thiner and lighter, I am sure the small one will be much better than EUC, well, it's a wise after the event. @SmootherI don't think there is any serious manoeuvring flaw on this prototype, you could compare it with dirtsurfer then you will agree with me. I uploaded another video of U-turn.

The name of toast is awful, thank you let me know it, I learned a new meaning of this word. @Mono, riding this duocycle just like riding EUC, use body's position to control it. @steve454 this duoccycle is just a prototype, so we have only this one and we do not know the price yet, it would not very expensive I think. I am trying to make a better one, I learned a lot from making this prototype, I hope I could find a way to make a new tool to solve my commuting problem in the future.

It's so nice to know new friends here.

1 hour ago, Chen said:

I bought an EUC 3 years ago, at first I wanted to use it for commuting, my office is around 10 km away from home.  But I found it's a little bit dangerous as a transport tool, only one wheel means you have only one point to stand on.

You should try one of the last generation EUCs. They are much more powerfull and safer, if you don't use all that power to go crazy fast. 25 kph feels really safe on those. The turning circle is easily half to a third compared to your duocycle. I think the EUC is way better at quick evasive maneuvers also. With your design, I would alway be afraid of the front wheel starting to wobble. you can also see this on the dirt surfer. Over all, I think an EUC is safer.

3 hours ago, Chen said:

I bought an EUC 3 years ago, at first I wanted to use it for commuting, my office is around 10 km away from home.  But I found it's a little bit dangerous as a transport tool, only one wheel means you have only one point to stand on. So EUC is just a toy for me. 

@Chen Thanks for the background behind your invention and videos!

There are hundreds of forum members that routinely use their EUCs for commuting daily!  How much time did you dedicate learning to ride your EUC? Which model did you train on?

Over the past 3 years there have been significant advances in EUC technology and safety is one of them! I would not give up on your inventions but you should attempt to ride a more current EUC from a reputable company such as Inmotion, Gotway or Kingsong. Give yourself some time to learn! Watch a few EUC training videos online to learn proper riding techniques!

My feeling is if you feel comfortable riding your duocycle then you should be able to master riding an EUC and will soon change your mind!

@Chen, how is the information of body position to change speed captured and how is it transferred to the motor?

Front wheel size is IMHO a relevant safety parameter and for commuting I would probably never use a device with a front wheel smaller than 14".

3 minutes ago, Mono said:

@Chen, how is the information of body position to change speed captured and how is it transferred to the motor?

Front wheel size is IMHO a relevant safety parameter and for commuting I would probably never use a device with a front wheel smaller than 14".

I agree; indeed, the relatively large size of an EUC wheel (compared to hoverboards or scooters) is a major source of safety and dynamic stability.  The improvements in electronics and control over the past 3 years make EUC's as reliable as 2+ wheel vehicles.  And IMHO, nothing looks quite as cool, or is as easy to carry around when you aren't riding, as an EUC.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Considering the cost, we used EUC's control system, so riding this duocycle is almost same as riding EUC. You could think we moved an EUC's pedals to the middle of 2 wheels. My partner says we could try force-sensor to replace the gyro part, but that need to spend much more time to reprogram the system. So we made this prototype to learn the feeling of ride first.

15 minutes ago, Chen said:

Considering the cost, we used EUC's control system, so riding this duocycle is almost same as riding EUC. You could think we moved an EUC's pedals to the middle of 2 wheels. My partner says we could try force-sensor to replace the gyro part, but that need to spend much more time to reprogram the system. So we made this prototype to learn the feeling of ride first.

I still do not understand how the pedals and the back wheel are connected to transfer the lean information. Could you explain this a little more? Maybe you could also show a video clip where you accelerate and brake more vigorously?

30 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

The OP still hasn't addressed in what way it is supposedly "self-balancing".

They mentioned that it's based on an EUC, which is a self-balancing device. Obviously the toastbike itself is not self-balancing, though one could make an argument that it is to some extend self-steering, and steering leads to lateral balance.

7 minutes ago, Mono said:

I still do not understand how the pedals and the back wheel are connected to transfer the lean information. Could you explain this a little more? Maybe you could also show a video clip where you accelerate and brake more vigorously?

I designed a connecting rod to make the pedals and the rear wheel being synchronized, it works.

1 minute ago, Chen said:

I designed a connecting rod to make the pedals and the rear wheel being synchronized, it works.

I see, that makes perfectly sense, thanks. 

38 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

The OP still hasn't addressed in what way it is supposedly "self-balancing".

Riding this duocycle is just like riding EUC, using body's position to accelerate or brake.

20 minutes ago, Chen said:

Riding this duocycle is just like riding EUC, using body's position to accelerate or brake.

I see. That is interesting. I'm not sure that (in this case) it should be called "self-balancing" but I'm also not sure what would be a better term for it either. :) I suppose it does "self-balance" the rider but not the device itself because it's always "balanced" (forward/backward) having two wheels in-line.

One aspect of EUCs is that they minimising volume and space requirements for any given front wheel size. To my feeling this may well be a rather decisive aspect for their future success.

Archived