Is 2 wheels inline a good idea? (video)

Chen

Ok @Chen so it turns, but as someone else said EUCs can turn much tighter, literally on the spot, if the rider is good enough.

can you pedals to motor lever keep the pedals level when travelling on hills even though the slice of toast is at the same angle as the hill.  I'm thinking not.

i understand the worry about commuting, especially in real traffic.  If you're worried about being thrown forward, put a little hand brace in front, like a handle bar.  Oh, but if you do that you might as well have it steer the front wheel too. So now you've got a large " self balancing" two wheeled scooter.  Hey it's not un doable.  There is room in the market for all sorts of rideables.  I'd actually go so far as to say I'd ride what I just described before  any two wheeled scooter currently on the market.  Put a hinge in the middle to make it foldable and you've got yourself a Brompton competitor.  Actually, I like it. I might break out a few sheets of plywood and cobble up a prototype of my own .  ?

I also thought you could put a brace infront of each knee to prevent face plants, but then I imagined a high speed impact where the riders pivots forwards at the knee but his lower legs stay in place.  Yeah, not pretty.  Scratch that.  Maybe smaller bumps infront of the knees that assist in preventing face plants but will be by passed by the knees in a really hard stop.

That's a good point, one could have the toastbike but keep the pedals at the rear wheel at their original place. That will save quite some weight and mechanics and I am not sure I can see the actual disadvantage compared to the shown construction.

1 hour ago, Mono said:

That's a good point, one could have the toastbike but keep the pedals at the rear wheel at their original place. That will save quite some weight and mechanics and I am not sure I can see the actual disadvantage compared to the shown construction.

Good one.  Less complex ( no linkage) , usable on hills, shorter, lighter, tighter turning.  It could be an add on to existing EUCs, just hook it onto the pedal pivots with a flexible coupling.  like those little seated carts that attach to hover boards.  Reminds me a bit of the Segway centaur? Was that the name? A four wheelded Segway project that never made it past the prototype stage

1 hour ago, Mono said:

And, as you're already standing on the rear wheel, you could remove that front wheel entirely, as it's only flapping and wobbling around, causing you any sorts of annoyance earlier or later...

3 minutes ago, Slaughthammer said:

And, as you're already standing on the rear wheel, you could remove that front wheel entirely, as it's only flapping and wobbling around, causing you any sorts of annoyance earlier or later...

Yeah, we could call it something modern and descriptive, let's see, modern AND descriptive..

ohh ohh I know an "Electric Unicycle". @Slaughthammer You're a genius. ?

13 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Assuming the bigger wheel in the picture is an EUC. Can something like this work? Just making the front wheel smaller and closer to the main EUC. 

ToastBikeA.jpg.21fc8823be16d9fbbe802da227afe608.jpg

Sure it's doable, but the small size of front wheel will be a problem, you could only ride it on a smooth road. I think your idea likes this product:

and this one:

18 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

Assuming the bigger wheel in the picture is an EUC. Can something like this work? Just making the front wheel smaller and closer to the main EUC. 

ToastBikeA.jpg.21fc8823be16d9fbbe802da227afe608.jpg

yes, that is what I thought. I realise that there is a non-trivial mechanical challenge in this construction. The pedals cannot be rigidly attached to the front wheel, because their tilt angle is input to the motor. But then, how does the mechanism look like that transfers a part of the drivers weight to the front wheel?

3 hours ago, Mono said:

yes, that is what I thought. I realise that there is a non-trivial mechanical challenge in this construction. The pedals cannot be rigidly attached to the front wheel, because their tilt angle is input to the motor. But then, how does the mechanism look like that transfers a part of the drivers weight to the front wheel?

Yeah, I also thought this before, there must be a way to solve the problem of face plant.

To prevent (one type of) faceplant it is sufficient to restrict the possible tilt angle that the front wheel allows.

However, you might even faceplant with a strict two-wheeler or a skateboard: if you push back against the torque and the torque is all of the sudden gone you might just shoot the device behind you and faceplant foreward. 

A frontwheel which gets rigid at a certain angle but is lose otherwise might also not give a reasonably well driver experience.

Archived