Kingsong KS16S, choice of colour

Unventor

Hi,

I just joined forums, as I am researching before buying my first EUC for commuting like 1,6km/1mile to work.

So far the KS16S seems to be best fit for what I am looking for and future proofing (thinking speeds and range). 

But it leaves  2 questions I have not found any answer to yet:

1) when riding in the dark, does it matter what colour the EUC is compared to being visual? it does have front and rear light, which it required by traffic law in Sweden to ride it.

2) which colour is most durable/less prone to scratching silver/white/matte black? in general I dislike any glossy finish, as it too easy to see dust/fingerprints on it.

Note: And I have to find a dealer in Sweden or maybe Denmark if I can. 

Since there are not protective sleeve made by Kingsong, I plan on going on the wetsuit/neoprem approach, maybe spray paint it with reflective colour/paint link this:

(see vedio below aroung 1:03)

Anyway, thanks in advance to any whom provide me with input. 

i know it’s ugly but my padding job on my ks-16s and ks-18s works really well. $6 for the foam from walmart and some white duct tape. i chose white because it is less likely to show scratches but i really like the matte black look.

90982415-9571-4BBD-8FE9-26BA730CE646.jpeg

The colour doesn't matter at night. Turn on the spaceship disco lights and your side visibility will be good. As for padding, get some of the corrugated foam that people use. If you use a little thought, it can blend well with the shape. Don't just stick it on randomly. Mine blends in so well , people don't even realise it's not part of the machine. 

My silver has a few scratches on it...I just add more stickers!

The KS16S app also lets you flash the front and back lights, I don't do that, but that could increase visibility. I also agree that it really doesn't matter which color, as the lights are awesome.

11 hours ago, novazeus said:

i know it’s ugly but my padding job on my ks-16s and ks-18s works really well. $6 for the foam from walmart and some white duct tape. i chose white because it is less likely to show scratches but i really like the matte black look.

90982415-9571-4BBD-8FE9-26BA730CE646.jpeg

This is so funny. At first sight I thought it was stuffed into a pillow. But I can imagine that it's very effective - a good idea.

Just please don't go out in public with this - keep it on your farm. We don't want to discourage EUC usage ;)

The wheel is to low (and partially obstructed by your legs) to be seen anyways, lights or not. #1 visibility "trick" is wearing a reflective vest (or armsbands or whatever), the bigger the area, the easier you're seen. Lights on your helmet or jacket can be easily missed.

I'd guess matte black is best against scratches etc, but choose the color you like, not the one you think you need. They all work. EUCs aren't like cars where any scratch ruins the look, on EUCs scratches give the wheel character and its identity:efee47c9c8: Given multiple identical wheels, this is how you'd recognize your baby.

You can buy from any EU store, e.g. 1radwerkstatt.de (Germany, free shipping) so you're not limited to Sweden/Denmark per se.

Again thanks for all inputs. While I search for SWE or DK dealer it is mainly to do in case of service, and due to consumer laws in these countries I am 100% clear about. 

Anyone hear about Justina's webshop www.electricunicycle.eu and know if this is a fair dealer or not? I read she has some pretty firm stand on gotway due quality control. 

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Anyone hear about Justina's webshop www.electricunicycle.eu and know if this is a fair dealer or not? I read she has some pretty firm stand on gotway due quality control.

I'm not sure it's Justina's shop.  I bought my 16s from there (Richard), @KS Poland . I got a good price, and delivery to England only took about 5 days.  Recently One of my 4 LED strips started acting up (sometimes only the top 4 LEDs light up).  I mentioned this to Richard, in passing, and he put a new one in the mail.  I installed it last weekend. 

Richard has also been trying to help me sort out my broken 14c axle, and this was not bought from him.  He sent me, at my request, the newer model King Song axle to see if I could adapt it (I still haven't got around to that project yet).

I'm sending him my cracked axle so he can see if someone can machine a copy, because King Song won't. If he succeeds, he will be able to supply new axles for any 14c.  Richard is not just someone who sells EUCs, he is actively involved in service work too I would say from my experience so far, Richard ( @KS Poland) is a good dealer to buy from.

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is so funny. At first sight I thought it was stuffed into a pillow. But I can imagine that it's very effective - a good idea.

Just please don't go out in public with this - keep it on your farm. We don't want to discourage EUC usage ;)

yeah i never leave the ranch with the wheels. when i first wrapped them i didn’t think it would work because the foam is so light. it’s like 1” thick but compresses to like an 1/8”.  turns out it’s perfect. no tape on the euc and makes the wheel nice and soft for grip. the kingsong wheels turn off when they fall over, so dropping a wheel is like dropping a pillow. in reality, euc’s i believe  would be more public friendly if they were wrapped in soft material. the ks-18s is incredibly comfortable. i’m sure it is gonna be my favorite. 

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

yeah i never leave the ranch with the wheels. when i first wrapped them i didn’t think it would work because the foam is so light. it’s like 1” thick but compresses to like an 1/8”.  turns out it’s perfect. no tape on the euc and makes the wheel nice and soft for grip. the kingsong wheels turn off when they fall over, so dropping a wheel is like dropping a pillow. in reality, euc’s i believe  would be more public friendly if they were wrapped in soft material. the ks-18s is incredibly comfortable. i’m sure it is gonna be my favorite. 

Please keep in mind that new Gotway wheels now turn off just like KingSong. I can show you videos of ~1-year old KingSong wheels that spun up when dropped..

So new users that read this post should not assume that all Gotway wheels behave like this or all KingSong wheels behave like this.

10 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Please keep in mind that new Gotway wheels now turn off just like KingSong. I can show you videos of ~1-year old KingSong wheels that spun up when dropped..

So new users that read this post should not assume that all Gotway wheels behave like this or all KingSong wheels behave like this.

i did not know that. i had a little bit of interest in the mten3 but i heard it danced when dropped so i lost interest. glad gotway is doing better in this safety aspect.both of mine ks-16s and ks-18s do shut off, just for clarification. i wouldn’t want a king song wheel that didn’t shut off either.

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

I'm not sure it's Justina's shop.  I bought my 16s from there (Richard), @KS Poland .

I think these are two sellers, independent of each other. One is https://www.electricunicycles.eu (Justina works there), and the other is @KS Poland's shop at https://emonocykle-sklep.pl/en (which https://kingsong.pl leads and http://eunicycles.eu redirects to).

So two Polish options. You have good experience with the 2nd, and (despite the shitting on Gotway) I'm pretty sure the 1st one is good, too.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

i did not know that. i had a little bit of interest in the mten3 but i heard it danced when dropped so i lost interest. glad gotway is doing better in this safety aspect.both of mine ks-16s and ks-18s do shut off, just for clarification. i wouldn’t want a king song wheel that didn’t shut off either.

My Mten3 still does, but it was made earlier in the year. The Tesla and my new ACM doesn't and I imagine every wheel made in 2018 :thumbup:

Archived