Looking into buying V3s+ or Monster

I’ve had my KS14D about a month now and love it . I commute to and from work with it every day but I’m starting to crave a bit more speed and a larger range . Really interested in any first hand experience with the V3s+ and monster . The 14D will stay my commuter but I’ve reslly started enjoying trail riding after work and on the weekends and it drains my 14d’s battery so quick ! Mainly interested in any user feedback on reliability and durability in regards to these two gotway wheels . Thanks !

Both perfectly fine and known wheels. If you want one now, can't go wrong with either:efeeec645d:

You could wait a few weeks to see what news comes out of Gotway, maybe the msuper V3 upgrade (with Tesla motor, just like the ACM2 - that really can't be too far off), maybe a V4, then the rumored 20 incher...

But you'd have to wait for those, a few months at least.

Watch some of @Marty Backe's mountain riding videos with the ms3 or Monster if you want proof of what the wheels can do.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQeDQAr2JgTSSujXThdlWxg/videos

They're definitely durable (well, the Monster shell can break at the top, so pad it) and the ms3 is quite bomb-proof (second only to the rounder ACM). And reliable: well, they're Gotways, but the kinks have been ironed out long ago and they seem very reliable unless you have bad mosfet luck or somehow manage to fry he cabling due to extreme stresses (which is both very unlikely and there are barely any reports about it with these two models). So anything that could go wrong (if only theoretically) is well known, and there won't be any other surprises.

edit: Hi, btw. Just realized you're new.

7 hours ago, Scott Henley said:

I’ve had my KS14D about a month now and love it . I commute to and from work with it every day but I’m starting to crave a bit more speed and a larger range . Really interested in any first hand experience with the V3s+ and monster . The 14D will stay my commuter but I’ve reslly started enjoying trail riding after work and on the weekends and it drains my 14d’s battery so quick ! Mainly interested in any user feedback on reliability and durability in regards to these two gotway wheels . Thanks !

Welcome. There is fantastic talk about these wheels in this Forum. I would encourage you to spend some time in the Gotway section and you should find answers to your questions. If you have some very specific questions for which you can't find answers, ask away.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Welcome. There is fantastic talk about these wheels in this Forum. I would encourage you to spend some time in the Gotway section and you should find answers to your questions. If you have some very specific questions for which you can't find answers, ask away.

Thanks @Marty Backe glad to be here . The Facebook forums seem to be full of biased opinions and a lot of bad mouthing gotway. I figured this would be the place to get unbiased reviews and opinions from actual Gotway owners . 

6 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Thanks @Marty Backe glad to be here . The Facebook forums seem to be full of biased opinions and a lot of bad mouthing gotway. I figured this would be the place to get unbiased reviews and opinions from actual Gotway owners . 

We have our biases here too. Some people seem to think that I favor Gotway but I still haven't figured out why ;) But I and many others here do try and be objective even if we have our favored wheels.

I'll be the first to elaborate on all of the failings of Gotway, but I try and put everything in perspective. I could go on-and-on ...

@Scott Henley Just buy either wheel that fits your needs. Both have been extensively reviewed, acclaimed, criticized, but no one can argue about their performances. All EUCs require some elbow grease self-service, some more than others.

But make sure the distributor you are buying from is not carry "New" Old Stock that has been sitting, as battery issues can arise (this applies more to Gotway Monster stock, as there is less demand for that model due to the higher price point / size... I'd especially stay away from eBay-only sellers, as they are more likely to be carrying NOS inventory).

9 hours ago, houseofjob said:

@Scott Henley Just buy either wheel that fits your needs. Both have been extensively reviewed, acclaimed, criticized, but no one can argue about their performances. All EUCs require some elbow grease self-service, some more than others.

But make sure the distributor you are buying from is not carry "New" Old Stock that has been sitting, as battery issues can arise (this applies more to Gotway Monster stock, as there is less demand for that model due to the higher price point / size... I'd especially stay away from eBay-only sellers, as they are more likely to be carrying NOS inventory).

Good advice, thank you . I make it a point to buy nothing from eBay that I’m not prepared to have malfunction or break ?. I’ll be ordering from ewheels here in the US and have complete faith in them . Due to the weak shell of the monster I’ll most likely be buying the MSuper V3s+..but the KS18s looks really nice too. So I’ve got some thinking to do over the weekend . 

25 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Good advice, thank you . I make it a point to buy nothing from eBay that I’m not prepared to have malfunction or break ?. I’ll be ordering from ewheels here in the US and have complete faith in them . Due to the weak shell of the monster I’ll most likely be buying the MSuper V3s+..but the KS18s looks really nice too. So I’ve got some thinking to do over the weekend . 

Take a look at my recent KS18S review and test videos. They may help you.

8 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Take a look at my recent KS18S review and test videos. They may help you.

Thanks @Marty Backe I’ll have a look . I’m planning on making my purchase mid next week so in the meantime I’ll be eating up as much information as I can ! There is a really nice trail system that I discovered yesterday right down from my house but some of the terrain is just a bit much for my 14 . It made it ...but it was a very jarring ride . 

@Scott Henley Some things to add for you that most will not tell you regarding the wheels you mention:

• The Monster 22" tire size (2.75-17) is basically a motorcycle/dirt bike tire size and allows you many more options for knobby / off-road tire swaps than other standard EUC tire sizes.
  • With the proper technique, you get way more torque and faster acceleration from rest by sitting (than standing) on an EUC, as I've experienced on both my Monster & KS18S, if indeed that was a part of your consideration for these wheels. I've never seen anyone demonstrate this on any EUC video.
  • The Gotway shells are as stated on the forums. Meanwhile, with my old KS18A, when I was trying to get at the motor/tire, due to a stripped pedal arm bolt, I literally had to melt the shell (same shell as the KS18S) with my soldering iron because I could not just break it, on top of the abuse it took previously, as it was one of my first EUCs ever. King Song shells are arguably some of the strongest I've experienced of all the major brands (and I've bought and rode them all).
  • The MSuperV3S+, in it's hardest setting, will be a complete departure in stiffness/response from any of the other wheels mentioned here, for good or for bad. More personal taste I think.

You may also like the KS16s for a slightly more portable mode of trail travel. It goes 25mph(if you throw it off a cliff) and has a built in trolley handle. There are just some parts of trails that you will never be able to traverse on a EUC or any vehicle other than your feet. If you plan on doing any steps or having to haul your device up a crevice after its fuse or tire has blown, you may look at the weight factors of the wheels as well.

The KS18 is a fast wheel, but its way more comfortable on the road than off road. The 22" Msuper is similar in drive feel and portability. Both are over fifty lbs.

The Acm, Tesla, and the KS16s are really your best off road fast vehicles that wont break your back should you have to haul it out of a canyon. Yes the Msuper and Ks18s are great trail vehicles, but Are a lot to handle in extreme trail riding or stair climbing. My two cents ;)

3 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

You may also like the KS16s for a slightly more portable mode of trail travel. It goes 25mph and has a built in trolley handle. There are just some parts of trails that you will never be able to traverse on a EUC or any vehicle other than your feet. If you plan on doing any steps or having to haul your device up a crevice after its fuse or tire has blown, you may look at the weight factors of the wheels as well.

The KS18 is a fast wheel, but its way more comfortable on the road than off road. The 22" Msuper is similar in drive feel and portability. Both are over fifty lbs.

The Acm, Tesla, and the KS16s are really your best off road fast vehicles that wont break your back should you have to haul it out of a canyon. Yes the Msuper and Ks18s are great trail vehicles, but Are a lot to handle in extreme trail riding or stair climbing. My two cents ;)

I did consider the 16s at the beginning (as in before I bought the 14D) I ended up with the D based mainly on price . The 16s to my knowledge goes 35kph where the 14d does 30. So that’s 18.9 mph Vs. ~21.6 mph. So I just don’t see the 16s as a real upgrade aside from wheel size but to me that doesn’t warrant another $1300 . As for the Tesla ...there isn’t enough data out there yet for me to be sold on it . Definitely thinking 18” I think the shell of the monster and axle shim issues have taken it out of the running for me . I like to go fast so a wheel that can maintain 25-28mph reliably is what I am looking for .

you mentioned the KS16s can do 25mph ...has something changed with the firmware? 

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

You may also like the KS16s for a slightly more portable mode of trail travel. It goes 25mph and has a built in trolley handle. There are just some parts of trails that you will never be able to traverse on a EUC or any vehicle other than your feet. If you plan on doing any steps or having to haul your device up a crevice after its fuse or tire has blown, you may look at the weight factors of the wheels as well.

I'm pretty sure that the KS16S is not capable of anywhere near 25-mph :confused1:

Small correction. There is no 22-inch MSuper. It's the 22-inch Monster, and it in no way handles like the KS18S. Totally different beasts. Their only similarity is that they both weigh over 50-pounds.

The KS18S is actually a very nice off road wheel (see my Stress Test Video 1 & 2).

Nope, I was looking at the ks18ay on the chart.whoops. I havent unlocked the KS18s to 30mph yet because I am not yet at 1000 km. However I have only had the pedal lean back once and that was going down hill. It is set to 25mph.

My one problem with the Gotways is the no shutoff function when you get bumped off of it. It girates and spins like a brief Tasmanian devil. Thats why Marty got injured at 1mph. :D its true, the gotways can fall and spin with a lot of force..

Why not just upgrade your batteries and range and wait for the load of new models coming out in the late spring? These models you are looking at now will fall in price too as that date nears if you feel too impatient by Feb's end. It is rather easy to add batteries to that thing.

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

I did consider the 16s at the beginning (as in before I bought the 14D) I ended up with the D based mainly on price . The 16s to my knowledge goes 35kph where the 14d does 30. So that’s 18.9 mph Vs. ~21.6 mph. So I just don’t see the 16s as a real upgrade aside from wheel size but to me that doesn’t warrant another $1300 . As for the Tesla ...there isn’t enough data out there yet for me to be sold on it . Definitely thinking 18” I think the shell of the monster and axle shim issues have taken it out of the running for me . I like to go fast so a wheel that can maintain 25-28mph reliably is what I am looking for .

you mentioned the KS16s can do 25mph ...has something changed with the firmware? 

I'm getting my new ACM V2 in the next couple of days. I anticipate it becoming the ultimate off-road wheel due to its robust construction and new stronger motor. I'll get a video out soon after I've tested it.

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Small correction. There is no 22-inch MSuper. It's the 22-inch Monster, and it in no way handles like the KS18S. Totally different beasts. Their only similarity is that they both weigh over 50-pounds.

Yeah thats what its called. They all have ridiculous meaningless names (what the hell does ACM stand for anyway?) except for the tire size and the company that makes them. Its still a beast, and feels like you are riding a radiator. A FAST radiator. The KS18s rides like a heavier, faster, and higher center of balanced V8/Glide3, if it was on heavy stilts. It is really a ride like no other, for better or worse.

18 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Nope, I was looking at the ks18ay on the chart.whoops. I havent unlocked the KS18s to 30mph yet because I am not yet at 1000 km. However I have only had the pedal lean back once and that was going down hill. It is set to 25mph.

My one problem with the Gotways is the no shutoff function when you get bumped off of it. It girates and spins like a brief Tasmanian devil. Thats why Marty got injured at 1mph. :D its true, the gotways can fall and spin with a lot of force..

Why not just upgrade your batteries and range and wait for the load of new models coming out in the late spring? These models you are looking at now will fall in price too as that date nears if you feel too impatient by Feb's end. It is rather easy to add batteries to that thing.

Actually (sorry to be so disagreeable tonight :)), my Telsa did not spin. I just sloppily got off the wheel in such a way that I hit the pedal.

The Tesla's are actually the first Gotway wheels that don't do the Gotway Dance. They made a change so now it shuts off just like the new KingSong wheels. :thumbup:  I anticipate my new ACM will behave the same way. I think all of the shipping Gotway wheels have this new firmware. Finally.

Yes, I'm still a big Gotway fan and defender (to a degree). But KingSong wheels are also great.

3 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Yeah thats what its called. They all have ridiculous meaningless names (what the hell does ACM stand for anyway?) except for the tire size and the company that makes them. Its still a beast, and feels like you are riding a radiator. A FAST radiator. The KS18s rides like a heavier, faster, and higher center of balanced V8/Glide3, if it was on heavy stilts. It is really a ride like no other, for better or worse.

Many people (including me) think that KingSong needs to get their marketing act together and stop giving their wheels dull names like KS14, KS16, KS18, yawn :sleep1:

Gotway names are seemingly meaningless, but are certainly imaginative and help to get the community excited.

This is all very subjective of course and you probably totally disagree :)

Oh Marty, they are all horribly named and terribly meaningless. Is the Tesla a Tesla motor or a Tesla battery? Even the phrase 'Tesla battery' is a marketing carnival act. Msuper follows no M or Mless. V5f? Are you kidding me? Did someone just randomly choose three fingers on someone's hand that was mashed onto a keyboard blindfolded? X8? It should be banned from even using the racey letter X any way in its name. They are all uniformly awful.

Kingsong's simpleton names bypass any translation loss. Thats about all that can be said about them. Still, what does ACM stand for?

Monster is about the only one with a good name. But even at 22" it isnt your run of the mill Monster of scary movies. It isnt even the largest tire size squeezed onto inner city styled Hondas.

2 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Oh Marty, they are all horribly named and terribly meaningless. Is the Tesla a Tesla motor or a Tesla battery? Even the phrase 'Tesla battery' is a marketing carnival act. Msuper follows no M or Mless. V5f? Are you kidding me? Did someone just randomly choose three fingers on someone's hand that was mashed onto a keyboard blindfolded? X8? It should be banned from even using the racey letter X any way in its name. They are all uniformly awful.

Kingsong's simpleton names bypass any translation loss. Thats about all that can be said about them. Still, what does ACM stand for?

I hear you. Some people like carrots and some don't. I much prefer interesting names vs numbers. Same with cars. Mustang vs BMW X3

Subaru is full of acronyms, so I am not against them. Bmw is another horribly named car.  Subaru SVX stands for "Special Vehicle X". It was suposed to be their tenth engine design with a 3.3 liter H6 and was an Italian designed coachwork with split drivers windows like a Delorean, a Delorean that you could fit your fast food order through. It was Subarus first true luxury car. The Subaru '360' stands for its 360 cc engine. At some time we will need to race this car with your Monster. There was the XT for cross track or off road track racing. We all know the BRAT which uniquely American in that it got around small import pickup tariffs by bolting two seats facing backwards in the bed. They Named it the Bi-directional Recreational All-terrain Transport or BRAT for short. Quirky names are fine. I still am not at ease with the Subaru FF-1. Definately lost in translation.

So what does ACM stand for. :popcorn:

12 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Subaru is full of acronyms, so I am not against them. Bmw is another horribly named car.  Subaru SVX stands for "Special Vehicle X". It was suposed to be their tenth engine design with a 3.3 liter H6 and was an Italian designed coachwork with split drivers windows like a Delorean, a Delorean that you could fit your fast food order through. It was Subarus first true luxury car. The Subaru '360' stands for its 360 cc engine. At some time we will need to race this car with your Monster. There was the XT for cross track or off road track racing. We all know the BRAT which uniquely American in that it got around small import pickup tariffs by bolting two seats facing backwards in the bed. They Named it the Bi-directional Recreational All-terrain Transport or BRAT for short. Quirky names are fine. I still am not at ease with the Subaru FF-1. Definately lost in translation.

So what does ACM stand for. :popcorn:

I knew I'd get you going when I added cars into the mix ;)

I would be interested in knowing how they came up with ACM or Mten3 or MCM or MSuper. Now that I think about it, all of these names have "M" in common. Maybe it's an English version of something in Chinese.

1 hour ago, Stan Onymous said:

Fascinating; I have a V8 and then purchased a KS18S and was expecting a learning curve to adapt to the larger wheel.  Nope.  Instead, it felt very natural from the beginning.  I was surprised, and now I wonder whether your comparison explains why.  I wish I had more experience with a variety of wheels like many here have. 

I find I reach for the 18" wheel, even though it isn't as suited to my environment as the V8, simply because of the additional comfort while riding.  My interest in the Z series and their wide tubeless tire stems from that experience.    

1 minute ago, mezzanine said:

I find I reach for the 18" wheel, even though it isn't as suited to my environment as the V8, simply because of the additional comfort while riding.  M

I do too, because I love the speed and the ability to feel more like transportation on the road. I also think it is a more obvious vehicle looking device than the V8, which does look and feel a little bit .... less so.

That said, I have still put on a 100 miles on my V8 since I just got a new motor on Friday. The KS18 takes me to work and back twice a day(lunch at home) but the V8 goes inside stores and to the bank and it is a ton of fun on the bunny trails off the beaten dirt trails in the Parks here. The horsey sect is very possesive of their inner city park trails.

Someone else pointed out the V8 similarity to me at CES this year. The V8 would be perfect with 5 more mph and a 10 more mile range.

Archived