Charger temperature over 160F

On 1/15/2018 at 1:33 AM, Bryan Wells said:

I checked my tesla's charger temp after it had been charging for 3 hours and it was 167F, does that seem excessively hot? what are your guy's temperatures? I cant even hold my charger for more than 5 seconds 

I don't know, but you gave me an idea.  Thanks!   I have one of those harbor freight temperature sensors that I never even thought to point at either of my chargers.  Dang it, I just charged the S1 this morning, and it is still at about 85% charge so until I ride it down to about 50%, won't be charging again for a day or so. 

I always touch the chargers to see how hot they get, they get very warm, but I think I could hold them for as long as I wanted.  Then again, my batteries are 320wh, less than a third of a Tesla.

How did you check the temperature of the charger?

I think separate threads for the most popular models of the most popular brands would be an interesting addition to the forum.  Gotway Tesla, Kingsong 16S, Gotway MSuper, Kingsong 18S, and so forth.

Cen-Tech® 69465 Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting, Non-Contact

17 minutes ago, steve454 said:

I don't know, but you gave me an idea.  Thanks!   I have one of those harbor freight temperature sensors that I never even thought to point at either of my chargers.  Dang it, I just charged the S1 this morning, and it is still at about 85% charge so until I ride it down to about 50%, won't be charging again for a day or so. 

I always touch the chargers to see how hot they get, they get very warm, but I think I could hold them for as long as I wanted.  Then again, my batteries are 320wh, less than a third of a Tesla.

How did you check the temperature of the charger?

I think separate threads for the most popular models of the most popular brands would be an interesting addition to the forum.  Gotway Tesla, Kingsong 16S, Gotway MSuper, Kingsong 18S, and so forth.

Cen-Tech® 69465 Infrared Thermometer with Laser Targeting, Non-Contact

I use a gun just like that and I hunt for the hottest part of the charger, seems like the center of the sticker side

My MSV3 gets too hot to handle as well, and I've also lost a charger when it broke while charging.

Do the 84 volt wheels require more out of a charger than say, the 60 volt Kingsongs or the 50 volt Segways?

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

My MSV3 gets too hot to handle as well, and I've also lost a charger when it broke while charging.

Do the 84 volt wheels require more out of a charger than say, the 60 volt Kingsongs or the 50 volt Segways?

The voltage should play a minor role for power dissipation - with the switched mode power supplies this just increases the switching losses. 

Main part should come from the supplied current.

20 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

the 67v (2 Amp) and 84v (1,5Amp) chargers are running both at about 120watts.

And yes, they can both get pretty hot, so that you will not touch them, while i dont have exact numbers.

What about fast chargers? Presumably they use more wattage. 

Charging an MVS 1600 from 30% or so takes an ungodly long time with the standard charger. When I have two wheels charging at the same time the room gets significantly hotter.

30 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

What about fast chargers? Presumably they use more wattage. 

Charging an MVS 1600 from 30% or so takes an ungodly long time with the standard charger. When I have two wheels charging at the same time the room gets significantly hotter.

Most (maybe all) have active cooling using a fan and heatsink to exhaust the increased heat from the unit. 

My ks 14c (340Wh) charger gets warm, but my KS16s (840Wh) get quite hot.  Both 67.2v, same output values but different brands.  I'll try to swap them over to see if the cooler one get hotter when charging the bigger battery.

9 minutes ago, Smoother said:

My ks 14c (340Wh) charger gets warm, but my KS16s (840Wh) get quite hot.  Both 67.2v, same output values but different brands.  I'll try to swap them over to see if the cooler one get hotter when charging the bigger battery.

Are those chargers different sizes? There are some smaller ones Floating around which are known to get extremly hot.....

2 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

Are those chargers different sizes? There are some smaller ones Floating around which are known to get extremly hot.....

No, they are exactly the same size except the newer, hotter one is a few mm taller, when standing flat on the pads..  The cooler one reads 66.8V on a voltmeter, and the hot one 66.7A so that's about the same. 

I'd take photos but I don't have a reliable photo service right now.  The last one I used, turned out to be a free trial.  All my recent photo posts are now blank.  And the old one I used to use won't send me a password reset email, so I can't use them either.

Archived