Hello to all!

Matahalii

Hello!

I bought a "used" Ninebot One S2 just 12.30.17.

It said "Milage: 2.6km" in the app and had one noticable scratch near the handle. So I got an almost brand new thingy for 330EUR.:P

I watched a few How-to-vids on U-Tube of cause.... I made my first tries on that evening on the shoulder of my wife after attaching a luggage-belt to the handle and turning the handle-shut-off off.

Next day I made some exercizes along a nearby wall and my first freehand trials. Got no further than a few meters. 
Whilst doing that I had more than doubled the milage. Dunno how the seller had given up that early...
On new years noon I started may 3rd exercise. This time I suddenly/accidently made my first ride of approx 100m and was very excited! Watching neighbors who had seen me the day before were suprised that I was already able to stand on this disc, even if it was very wobbly and only every 10th start was a lucky one.

In the meantime of just one week I can say that I'm able to decide which way to go, stand on that EUC for as long as I want - most cases but not secure enough to go narrow passages or very curvy ways. Yesterday I made a single trip of about 8km mostly on bicycle-ways and just before the end I had my first real throw-off on a curvy, narrow, wobbly sidewalk. I know I'd better walked that short piece of shitty way before but was too lazy to stop and get off...  Now I have one old pair of jeans more for dirty work in the garden. And my lovely One S4 has one big scratch more on the side...

All in all I am very lucky! This sport is a big fun and I'm looking forward to meet some peeps with wheels around town soon!

Welcome! Personally, I think scratches and dents give the wheel character. Also, it's inevitable so the sooner you get scratches, the quicker you can focus on enjoying the ride and less on babying the wheel. 

15 minutes ago, gr8ps said:

Welcome! Personally, I think scratches and dents give the wheel character. Also, it's inevitable so the sooner you get scratches, the quicker you can focus on enjoying the ride and less on babying the wheel. 

Well it is what it is: A thing to use. And especially if it's my first Wheel it's clear that it will get scratches. I knew before that the S4 is not ideal for beginners and at first decided to buy another one for around 200EUR used, but unfortunally all I found in 2nd hand markets did not respond or stated that they were on vacation....

Then I saw this one. Just above my initial idea of price but excellent deal for the money. So I got it. (Dis)advantage I found out later: You can get a proprietary bumper set for about 50 EUR plus shipping. On one hand a good option to be possible, on the other hand quite a stiff price to save something for 300EUR in my case. AND not possible to be shipped before I wanted to make my first tries. So: As long as it only affects the optics, dents and scratches mean nothing to me. And it does not make smaller the fun to ride it.

13 hours ago, Matahalii said:

So: As long as it only affects the optics, dents and scratches mean nothing to me. And it does not make smaller the fun to ride it.

I already stated that. Otherwise I would place it in the glass cabinet in my living room ;-)

Cheers!

20 hours ago, Matahalii said:

Well it is what it is: A thing to use. And especially if it's my first Wheel it's clear that it will get scratches. I knew before that the S4 is not ideal for beginners and at first decided to buy another one for around 200EUR used, but unfortunally all I found in 2nd hand markets did not respond or stated that they were on vacation....

Then I saw this one. Just above my initial idea of price but excellent deal for the money. So I got it. (Dis)advantage I found out later: You can get a proprietary bumper set for about 50 EUR plus shipping. On one hand a good option to be possible, on the other hand quite a stiff price to save something for 300EUR in my case. AND not possible to be shipped before I wanted to make my first tries. So: As long as it only affects the optics, dents and scratches mean nothing to me. And it does not make smaller the fun to ride it.

Padding a wheel does not have to be expensive:

Also, save your money! Once you get good at riding you need to upgrade your wheel to something like a KingSong ks16S or a KS18S.  I also learned on a Segway/Ninebot S1.. and you won’t believe the difference between that and a wheel with power. It is probable that a more powerful wheel would have kept you from crashing. Congrats on learning! Make sure you are wearing safety gear, and I wish you many, many fun filled miles!

I followed a similar path to this forum.  Saw the $299 offer on Amazon and bought two and a minipro.  Christmas was all electric this year.  With no experience I went to parking deck and told myself I wasn’t leaving until I could do a full lap.  After a few weeks I can cruise comfortably over mixed asphalt/dirt/gravel trails.  

Everything I have learned came from this forum, YouTube and responses from resellers.  Everyone deserves a big thank you for making this info available.

i now have what we call the ‘learning bot’ that looks thrashed and will be used to get friends up and going if/when interested.  Not sure if I return the other S1 or keep it for the kids or try to sell it.  

Everything about the S1 I read is true.  It’s the wheel the beginner needs.

I’m now in the market for the wheel I want.

Hello and thank y’all for introducing me to a whole new thing!

9A688C9D-B444-456D-931A-6F16D1B400AE.jpeg

Unless you're a pure urban dweller, the S1's lack of speed can be aggravating. I suggest keeping one in the car most of the time if you're not, and accept that the effective slow speed of 10mph is about 4 mph that your average jogger.

Welcome @Matahalii and @Holt. This is a great place.  Lots of useful information changes hands and there's even some humor from time to time. Almost everything has been discussed before, but if you can't find something, just ask.  Someone will know where it is. We have some seriously smart people here, so learning is almost inevitable.

Archived