EUC handling in below freezing temperatures.

LanghamP

Which is to say, not very good. I left my Gotway Msuper in my car last night because I didn't want to lug it upstairs. The temperature outside this morning was around 30 degrees F.

Charge was about 76%. The wheel wasn't its usual snappy self; it was notably sluggish even on the hard settings, and the pedals were quite soggy, as soggy as I've ever seen them.

Interestingly, the wheel would start the tiltback sequence but abort it partway through. It would do that after a turn but there was one point where I was creeping up to 21 mph and it started the tiltback sequence. Or pseudo tiltback sequence.

Feeling the wheel, even now 2 hours post-ride, and it being indoors in a very warm place, the wheel feels like a block of ice.

I would say letting a wheel get below freezing is highly highly not recommended. Don't do it.

So what about riding in below freezing temps.

Even if you start out with a warm wheel and batteries, if it's 22F outside won't your wheel

get cold and experience degraded performance after an hour or less? Anyone with experience in this matter?

I live in Chicago so cold is a thing I have to deal with.

My 30mi ride on my monster last night was chilly @ 39F, had to turn on High all my electric warming gear specially moving at 35K+ wind is like ice.

I was the only soul on the trail from 8-10pm, I didn't pass one person the whole time which I've never seen before.

I was wondering about cutting off pieces of Mylar and placing them on my EUCs in an attempt to slow down heat loss when going from inside (warm wheel) to below freezing.

Emergency Mylar Thermal Blankets (4-Pack) + BONUS Signature Gold Foil Space Blanket: Designed for NASA – Perfect for Outdoors, Hiking, Survival, Marathons or First Aid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZN0KGB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LSJdAb3P2PCEB

The performance degradation of a freezing wheel surprised me.

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Why do you people live in places that have such silly weather? 

Jobs, man, jobs...

I took my MSuper to work today in freezing weather, with no problems at all.

My commute takes about 15-20 minutes, and the wheel was still warm.

I would guess the huge blocks of metal inside the wheel, while difficult to warm up when cold, would also be difficult to freeze when already warm.

• 3 months later...
On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:17 AM, dmethvin said:

Give us a break, we don't have sheep to keep us warm like you do! 

Yeah, we may have a few sheep... But they're really good at hiding. Particularly when the grass is really long!

Do you want to know how we find sheep in long grass?

Archived