Help. All lithium ion cycles banned at USC

rdalcanto

A simpler and cheaper solution is to get a doctor's prescription for a personal electric device, and then register his V8 as his PED. Federal law for handicap access trumps college campus regulations, so when he gets stopped he whips out that prescription.

For example, I personally have a partially torn Achilles tendon that I got a prescription for using my EUC in places that otherwise do not allow EUCs.

It's like an emotional support pet, except unlike those selfish lying asses I actually do have a partially torn tendon.

Just an update:

I got a letter back.  They are basically skirting the fire risk issue, and just saying that he can't keep it in the dorm because there is a long standing policy of no "Motorized Vehicles" in University housing.  I politely emailed back saying that a small unicycle that you ride between your lower legs is more like a skateboard than a Motorcycle, and should be treated as skates and skateboards.  He can carry it all the way to his room, and never run it on the carpet. The fact that it has a small motor is irrelevant.  What happens if they put tiny motors in the wheels of roller skates?  Will those be prohibited from being stored in a room like someone trying to keep a Motorcycle in a dorm room?  

These people are so dumb, I can't believe I'm paying over $70,000 a year (tuition, room, board) for him to get "educated" there!  :angry:

Here is the policy:

Motorized Vehicles. No vehicles or machines (e.g., motorcycles, electric scooters, jet skis) can be brought into, or stored in, University Housing Facilities.

Skates/Skateboards/Bicycles/Scooters. The use of roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, bicycles, scooters, hoverboards, etc. is prohibited in University Housing Facilities. Trick riding and stunts create a safety hazard and are prohibited on walkways or in other areas within the vicinity of University Housing Facilities. Bicycles, scooters, etc. must follow campus parking enforcement policies.

Hoverboards. Hoverboards are prohibited due to the potential for fire damage and personal injury.

3 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Here is the policy:

Motorized Vehicles. No vehicles or machines (e.g., motorcycles, electric scooters, jet skis) can be brought into, or stored in, University Housing Facilities.

Skates/Skateboards/Bicycles/Scooters. The use of roller skates, roller blades, skateboards, bicycles, scooters, hoverboards, etc. is prohibited in University Housing Facilities. Trick riding and stunts create a safety hazard and are prohibited on walkways or in other areas within the vicinity of University Housing Facilities. Bicycles, scooters, etc. must follow campus parking enforcement policies.

Hoverboards. Hoverboards are prohibited due to the potential for fire damage and personal injury.

Based on that policy, electric unicycle is technically not defined. Some states consider motorized vehicle that’s self propelled with 2 or more wheels and a seat. 

Hoverboards are the only one prohibited due to fire hazard…and personal injury - yet they allow skates and skateboards ?

Personnally, I would continue riding but be courteous to others and make sure not to ride inside housing facility. If questioned, I would politely states that there are no policy against electric unicycle use or storage in dorms. 

If they take the easy path of just creating a policy against electric unicycle instead of doing any research, perhaps you should question if that school is right for your son. 

15 hours ago, rdalcanto said:

Just an update:

I got a letter back.  They are basically skirting the fire risk issue, and just saying that he can't keep it in the dorm because there is a long standing policy of no "Motorized Vehicles" in University housing.  I politely emailed back saying that a small unicycle that you ride between your lower legs is more like a skateboard than a Motorcycle, and should be treated as skates and skateboards.  He can carry it all the way to his room, and never run it on the carpet. The fact that it has a small motor is irrelevant.  What happens if they put tiny motors in the wheels of roller skates?  Will those be prohibited from being stored in a room like someone trying to keep a Motorcycle in a dorm room?  

These people are so dumb, I can't believe I'm paying over $70,000 a year (tuition, room, board) for him to get "educated" there!  :angry:

Here is the policy:

Unfortunately it's a loosing battle. If you ask, you will get rejected. Universities are now like padded cells in every way imaginable. It must be a shock to the system when the students have to enter the real world.

This is why I hope to God that we never have any regulation for or against EUCs in America. Even regulations that allow EUCs will have so many inane rules that all the joy will be removed from their use.

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

This is why I hope to God that we never have any regulation for or against EUCs in America. Even regulations that allow EUCs will have so many inane rules that all the joy will be removed from their use.

I personally know people who have paid between hundred to thousands of dollars for minor transgressions. When single parking ticket costs more than what the average person makes in a day, and when taking a photograph of an abandoned building from the land that the building is on costs more than a thousand dollars along with 60 hours of community service (the guy was a pro photographer), then we know the rules and punishments are highly restrictive. Fines and fees for breaking minor laws seems to be such a defining part of Amerikan life. The Soviets would be proud of us.

It's not the laws that bother me so much as the punishment. We live in a "gotcha" economy whereby a minor infraction results in huge fines, usually much more than what the average person makes per day, and not paying the immediate fine results in stacked fines. We have debtor's prisons in all but name.

Keep doing these draconian fines, and very quickly you'll raise a risk-adverse population alongside a huge prison population, which is indeed what we've seen. Did you know the true unemployment rate of the USA is more than 50%? Not surprising when you raise the cost of risk so much higher than income that one might as well not venture.

Essentially, we've become a society, enforced by courts, to beat the crap out of anyone who tries to something different and so by doing this we end up with just sheep and thugs. Maybe that's why video games are so popular (men over the age of 30 spend more time on video games than any other demographic, and spend almost as much time playing video games as a full-time job!); real-life is a nanny-state, except the nanny wants to forever put you in debt.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived