Jump to content

Dog Issues / ACM?


FastLanz
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed dogs do not like electric unicycles or is it just me?  Any advise on how to handle encounters?  

Loving my ACM 1300 btw. I do find it a bit quirky in that the Gotway power profile does not seem to always apply consistently. Sometimes I lean forward and the power delivery is there immediately. Other times it feels like it's in soft mode. I have to lean much more for the torque and subsequent acceleration to start kicking in. 

I also tried the Darknessbot app? Is it normal voltage hovers around 62v even though it's an 84v model?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by FastLanz
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I go by a lot of dogs and I can't remember any that were upset by my KS-14C. That HAS surprised me because it has a high-pitched whine that I thought might bother a dog. Maybe they are the kind of dogs that chase cyclists and it has nothing to do with the noise? What kind of dogs seem to be bothering you? Maybe the owners are giving off some sort of nervous vibe causing the dogs to act protective.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FastLanz said:

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed dogs do not like electric unicycles or is it just me?  Any advise on how to handle encounters?  

I also tried the Darknessbot app? Is it normal voltage hovers around 62v even though it's an 84v model?

I think you will find it is expecting the wheel to be 16 cell I.e. Max 67 Volts not 20 cells. So if your multiply by 20 and divide by 16 will give you the correct voltage. I'm not sure if there is a version for 84V? There is some discussion of an 84V version of wheelog here: 

There is discussion about dogs amoungst other animals here:

 

Edited by Keith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dogs have more acute sense of hearing than humans, so the PWM whine is unpleasant for them moreso (plus I believe Gotway has the highest pitched PWM of the major EUC makers).

But, like we humans are all different, so are dogs and their conditions, so several factors are at play:

  • Is the dog spoiled? If so, then the owner doesn't do any precautionary things to calm them down before they go apesh*t. This is typical with female owners and/or smaller dogs (over-reaction to compensate for their size)
  • How old is the dog? Like humans, dogs will calm down with age, plus aging dogs, also like aging humans, start lose their hearing, top frequencies first, with age
  • Also, each breed has a certain personality. For example, bulldogs hardly ever bark or care enough to "attack", while other breeds are the exact opposite.
Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Dogs have more acute sense of hearing than humans, so the PWM whine is unpleasant for them moreso (plus I believe Gotway has the highest pitched PWM of the major EUC makers).

But, like we humans are all different, so are dogs and their conditions, so several factors are at play:

  • Is the dog spoiled? If so, then the owner doesn't do any precautionary things to calm them down before they go apesh*t. This is typical with female owners and/or smaller dogs (over-reaction to compensate for their size)
  • How old is the dog? Like humans, dogs will calm down with age, plus aging dogs, also like aging humans, start lose their hearing, top frequencies first, with age
  • Also, each breed has a certain personality. For example, bulldogs hardly ever bark or care enough to "attack", while other breeds are the exact opposite.

Chris the dog whisperer.....................................who knew?  :P

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

Caught red-handed.... I love that show!

Yeah well that big Rottweiler looks like he wants to take a bite out of my A$$ and then eat the EUC.  I think he's talking to his pal down the block who started chasing after me.  Glad I got the ACM but not convinced I can outrun him.  I decided to confront him by stopping.  His owner who didn't have him on a leash said he wasn't cross "upset" but I wouldn't bet on that.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FastLanz said:

Yeah well that big Rottweiler looks like he wants to take a bite out of my A$$ and then eat the EUC.  I think he's talking to his pal down the block who started chasing after me.  Glad I got the ACM but not convinced I can outrun him.  I decided to confront him by stopping.  His owner who didn't have him on a leash said he wasn't cross "upset" but I wouldn't bet on that.... 

Please give your story a happy ending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I carry one of these knives for a desperate last stand against pit bulls and Rottweilers. Some guy in Alaska killed a bear with one of these who was eating him.

Millions of people each year get injured all the time from dog attacks. It's the largest reason kids visit the emergency room. Don't mess with dogs especially big and powerful ones who've been breed to kill you. I've had two close calls with pit bulls so now I carry a knife with the understanding I'm going to get mauled but that brute going down with me.

Kershaw 1990X Brawler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UE6GRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_OJ3Pzb733B0MH

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2017 at 9:59 PM, LanghamP said:

I carry one of these knives for a desperate last stand against pit bulls and Rottweilers. Some guy in Alaska killed a bear with one of these who was eating him.

Millions of people each year get injured all the time from dog attacks. It's the largest reason kids visit the emergency room. Don't mess with dogs especially big and powerful ones who've been breed to kill you. I've had two close calls with pit bulls so now I carry a knife with the understanding I'm going to get mauled but that brute going down with me.

Kershaw 1990X Brawler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UE6GRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_OJ3Pzb733B0MH

 

Just in time.

Texas legalizes open carrying of knives & swords.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/story/news/2017/08/30/texas-open-carry-sword-law-takes-effect-sept-1/608759001/

Edited by Rocky Romero
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/08/2017 at 9:11 PM, FastLanz said:

Has anyone else noticed dogs do not like electric unicycles or is it just me?  Any advise on how to handle encounters?

Yes, there is a small percentage of dogs who believe they have to catch and stop me when I am driving by with the EUC. Stopping and not moving until the owner catches them has worked each and every time so far. The one time I thought the dog was too small to bother I was bitten (superficially, but still). I have the impression though it gets less frequent, dogs get used to be around moving EUCs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mono said:

Yes, there is a small percentage of dogs who believe they have to catch and stop me when I am driving by with the EUC. Stopping and not moving until the owner catches them has worked each and every time so far. The one time I thought the dog was too small to bother I was bitten (superficially, but still). I have the impression though it gets less frequent, dogs get used to be around moving EUCs.

That has not happened to me yet.

I prefer not to be bitten and would act in some way to prevent it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I think back, I realize maybe 5-10% of dogs are pretty hostile to strangers, it's just with an EUC you cover more ground and hence encounter more dogs. I've had plenty of dogs attack me while jogging, and get pulled up short by their leash. However, about five years ago I did have some large unleashed dog hit my rear tire while bicycling. For many weeks (months?) this dog tried to intercept me on a downhill and I didn't think much of him, figuring I could just ignore him and he'd stop. Scared the hell out of me so next time I blasted him with an air horn which worked superbly.

I'm kinda of the attitude that if your big dog takes a chunk out of me then I'm going to try to kill it as quick as I can, then drag my sorry ass to the hospital with some happiness, 'cause I can absolutely guarantee the dog owner isn't going to pay for my hospital bill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, LanghamP said:

When I think back, I realize maybe 5-10% of dogs are pretty hostile to strangers, it's just with an EUC you cover more ground and hence encounter more dogs. I've had plenty of dogs attack me while jogging, and get pulled up short by their leash. However, about five years ago I did have some large unleashed dog hit my rear tire while bicycling. For many weeks (months?) this dog tried to intercept me on a downhill and I didn't think much of him, figuring I could just ignore him and he'd stop. Scared the hell out of me so next time I blasted him with an air horn which worked superbly.

I'm kinda of the attitude that if your big dog takes a chunk out of me then I'm going to try to kill it as quick as I can, then drag my sorry ass to the hospital with some happiness, 'cause I can absolutely guarantee the dog owner isn't going to pay for my hospital bill.

An air horn sounds ideal.

Killing an attacking dog may be better than just an injury to the dog.

The financial repercussions to heal the dog may be steep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/30/2017 at 9:59 PM, LanghamP said:

I carry one of these knives for a desperate last stand against pit bulls and Rottweilers. Some guy in Alaska killed a bear with one of these who was eating him.

 

I just realized what the remote control on the MiniPro is used for.

Obviously, it's to chase dogs away.

A feature that the MiniPlus also has.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 8:57 PM, LanghamP said:

When I think back, I realize maybe 5-10% of dogs are pretty hostile to strangers, it's just with an EUC you cover more ground and hence encounter more dogs. I've had plenty of dogs attack me while jogging, and get pulled up short by their leash. However, about five years ago I did have some large unleashed dog hit my rear tire while bicycling. For many weeks (months?) this dog tried to intercept me on a downhill and I didn't think much of him, figuring I could just ignore him and he'd stop. Scared the hell out of me so next time I blasted him with an air horn which worked superbly.

I'm kinda of the attitude that if your big dog takes a chunk out of me then I'm going to try to kill it as quick as I can, then drag my sorry ass to the hospital with some happiness, 'cause I can absolutely guarantee the dog owner isn't going to pay for my hospital bill.

Here's a video for self defense from aggressive dogs that sums up alternatives.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/2/2017 at 12:00 AM, Mono said:

Yes, there is a small percentage of dogs who believe they have to catch and stop me when I am driving by with the EUC. Stopping and not moving until the owner catches them has worked each and every time so far.

Yes, the above worked for me also until now.

Most dogs hunting instincts are triggered, if a EUC rider passes by, and because you cannot escape them, even not on the fastest wheel, it is definitely the best to stop immediately, and try to talk to the dog (talk with a calming voice, and do NOT look into his eyes while talking, just to his legs or tail, and try to grin (no joke)). 

But if you fear dogs, and feel anxious, don't talk at all, just wait without moving until the owner comes.

Most dogs are puzzled, if you stop and talk to them, and either go back to their owner or want to be caressed.

Watch their tail, if it moves heavily after some time, then you are already on the safe side and it is likely you can go away and he will not be after you anymore, but if the tail does not move, be cautious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...