@Marty Backe posted a great video about this last week. I have most everything he discussed , I recommend making your helmet purchase in person rather than buying it online so you can try on a bunch and see what fits best. One thing I would add is to wear some padding on your shins and ankles , as these take a serious beating your first few weeks. I saw someone post that they wrap the padding people pad the wheel with around the ankle itself and I tried it and I think that’s a clever idea.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I know that the moderators (or @John Eucist) might be hesitant about creating new sections, but I think you have a great suggestion. It really is such an important subject that maybe it does deserve it's own special place here, and it would be easier for people to find.

Maybe: Riding Safety and Protective Gear

Not only gear but also discussions about riding safely.

We are allready in discussions to create such a subforum! And my feeling says .....it might come :-)

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

Awesome. Sorry to "jump the gun". ;)

No no...your idea was picked up!! So you are the initiation!

Just give us some time, as this is Group/admin decision!

Edited by KingSong69
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I understand that subforums just spread out stuff and make it less visible, but "Riding Safety and Protective Gear" really is the exception. Most of all because it is a very clearly defined topic. No harm done in making that.

Only thing to watch out for, make sure somehow people don't start reporting wheel failures like the Gotway oscillation issue there, just because it's a "safety topic". Make sure the forum description is clear.

100% agreed. The reason for my suggestion is that I think it is so important that it needs somewhere where it doesn't get diluted with other stuff.

• Upvote 1

Yep, it is a bitch to find all the gear discussions that happened here over time.

And the fact that it is such a narrowly defined (and important) topic warrants it.

--

Let's think about the forum text (which may be more important than the title). For example:

Tips, Reviews, Discussions about how to stay safe when riding an electric unicycle.

--

Bonus question:

Should the recent "If you fell off EUC and got injured in the last few years, how are you all doing now?" thread (and accident reports in general) be in General or the new section?

You could say General, as it is more of a conversational thread, and what if the accident report is included in a wheel failure description like @Marty Backe's threads (which should at least start in General before they are possibly moved somewhere else), then General seems better. Or you could say a "looking up what kind of injuries happened" thread might be very helpful in the new section (the longer I think about it, the more I'd put it in the new section).

Just some food for thought about the exact naming and description of the thing.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, John Eucist said:

done :) 

Wow. That's awesome. Thanks for considering the idea. I hope it will be a great help for those looking for gear options and maybe to raise awareness and discussion about staying safe on the wheel.

:thumbup:

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Since we seem to have increasing numbers of new riders lately, asking about how to protect their wheels, I had an idea:

How about moving topics regarding wheel padding and padding options to the Safety and Protective Gear forum too? It's a topic that predictably comes up every so often, but the info is hidden God knows where and could be easier to find. And it fits the theme of the new forum.

So basically add a little "Protect yourself - and your wheel" (or similar) description to the forum to make everything clear, and move the padding (and related) threads there.

Here are some:

My personal favorite, people can easily miss this great idea:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::

And more:

There are some more (older ones) but these are the newer ones I found.

Thoughts?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
more hearts
  • Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for protective gear and notice this thread is old and should be updated.  What's the latest/greatest protective gear nowadays?  I'm in Texas so any head, elbow, wrist, knee, and/or shin protection for hot/humid summer days would be greatly appreciated.

38 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

I'm looking for protective gear and notice this thread is old and should be updated.  What's the latest/greatest protective gear nowadays?  I'm in Texas so any head, elbow, wrist, knee, and/or shin protection for hot/humid summer days would be greatly appreciated.

We have an entire "Riding Safety and Protective Gear" subforum for you to read. This topic is merely about how the subforum came to be, not the gear itself.

Here it is: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/forum/58-riding-safety-and-protective-gear/