Clearing/ removing attachments, how?

7 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Hi, I have realized that I'm at the limit, how can I clear up my old ones? I'm trying to post some new.

Clearing up old ones destroys your old posts...

have to look if and how it works to remove  something.

7 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Or do I have to link from other service for pic.? 

thanks,

I use imgur.com to link pics in here - works very nice. Of course you can choose any other online storage which supports direct links.

3 minutes ago, yourtoys7 said:

Hi, I have realized that I'm at the limit, how can I clear up my old ones? I'm trying to post some new. Or do I have to link from other service for pic.? 

Linking from another service is the recommended way as server space is limited on the forum.

However the only way to clear old ones that I have found is:

1. Tap your profile, top right of forum heading and select "My attachments"
  2. against the pictures you have posted is a link to the post they were used in.
  3. Go to that post for a picture you wish to delete, edit it and delete the picture.
  4. At the very least edit the post so the lack of picture doesn't make the post unreadable. 

If there is a better way than that I'd like to know as well?

Also pictures do not usually need to be super high resolution so if it won't matter too much then drop them down to (say) 800x600 or so resolution or high jpeg compression so they eat less space. For example this is what I did in the below post and I think those pictures are big enough whilst less than 300kB in size.

1 minute ago, Keith said:

Linking from another service is the recommended way as server space is limited on the forum.

However the only way to clear old ones that I have found is:

1. Tap your profile, top right of forum heading and select "My attachments"
  2. against the pictures you have posted is a link to the post they were used in.
  3. Go to that post for a picture you wish to delete, edit it and delete the picture.
  4. At the very least edit the post so the lack of picture doesn't make the post unreadable. 

If there is a better way than that I'd like to know as well?

Also pictures do not usually need to be super high resolution so if it won't matter too much then drop them down to (say) 800x600 or so resolution or high jpeg compression so they eat less space. For example this is what I did in the below post and I think those pictures are big enough whilst less than 300kB in size.

Post cant be edited anymore, I'll look into storing somewhere else , thanks...

1 minute ago, yourtoys7 said:

Post cant be edited anymore, I'll look into storing somewhere else , thanks...

Ah sorry, yes that ties in with what @John Eucist changed the other day (see below thread) and I'd forgotten about.

@John Eucist, that is another issue that time limiting editing can cause. I guess there isn't any other route to removing images as you would not want to do it without editing the original post to remove reference to the picture?

What about linked videos, then?  I would just as soon not post a still pic when I link a youtube video, but instead the default is a high-rez image with any youtube link. Can you go in and delete the associated pics the same way you would any other pics ... still keeping the link?

8 minutes ago, Dingfelder said:

I would just as soon not post a still pic when I link a youtube video,

I'm pretty sure that is of absolutely no concern as it isn't an image being posted to the forums server. The image, unless I'm much mistaken, is coming from the YouTube link and the links do look and feel better linked that way rather than just a blue underlined link text.

It is the situation whereby you specifically upload an image to the forum to use in a post I.e. You use the link at the bottom of a post that says Click to choose files, that saves the picture to the forum's server. I must confess I do prefer to do that but have never run out of space as I keep them small.

4 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Spoiler alert: The storage limit thing will soon be a thing of the past but not just yet. Hope I can get it done within a week or two.

You Rock John!:thumbup:

Archived