Hacking the MiniPro's speed limiter

On 10/24/2018 at 10:36 AM, Alex_from_NZ said:

$50USD sounds more within my budget than $200 for a motherboard replacement.  I would still prefer software modification but cant have everything i guess.

Can you post a link where i can order please?

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-17354061890.6.213c1c1eD7v7UV&id=577340280309

I'd asked the seller, however he isn't that good in English, so you may have to have someone understands Chinese to help you communicate with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyYellow said:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-17354061890.6.213c1c1eD7v7UV&id=577340280309

I'd asked the seller, however he isn't that good in English, so you may have to have someone understands Chinese to help you communicate with him.

Thank you Andy. Maybe Google translate will be of help, hopefully. 

I wonder if they can ship to Canada, would love to give it a try! If it's not too out of your way, can you ask him how I can get one shipped here? Many thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2018 at 3:39 AM, Alex Hamrick said:

Any new updates on altering the speed limit of the minipro?

We are under censure :facepalm:

the other thread was deleted.... :pooping: .... no more words...:sleep1:

On Friday, December 07, 2018 at 10:29 PM, FreeRide said:

NO, it was moved to Commercial.  It LIVES!! :eff006f726:  :popcorn:

Great ! Thanks :D B)

A wise decision :popcorn:

On Friday, December 07, 2018 at 10:29 PM, FreeRide said:

NO, it was moved to Commercial.  It LIVES!! :eff006f726:  :popcorn:

Great ! Thanks :D B)

A wise decision :popcorn:

On 10/24/2018 at 9:21 PM, MRN76 said:

Sorry, sealed. This battery is 13Ah. I'm not doing it. my friend did.

Is there any update about this 13AH battery?

After the speed limiter was removed, the energy consumption is higher than before, which made the battery really appealing. I really want to purchase one if it’s on market or even a prototype one is okay to me!

On 5/26/2017 at 5:52 PM, RooMiniPro said:

I thought I'd start a new thread for this topic for tidiness and leave the steering reversal thread separate as it's a very different approach at getting more speed.

Some of us would really like to increase the top speed of our MiniPros and I'm calling all technically inclined MiniPro riders to brainstorm ideas and hopefully work out a method.  Step one is going to be understanding how exactly the MiniPro detects the speed it's travelling at.  If we can trick it into thinking it's going more slowly than it is, we may be able to achieve a higher top speed.  We know it's not GPS related as it works independently of the software app.  We know it's not a physical limitation of the motors or motor controllers because in reverse it can happily do 25+kph.  So how exactly does it know how fast it's going?  Is it RPM related?  Is it related to the current/voltage supplied to the motors?    

the reason it is restricted is it needs reserve power to upright the rider, otherwise the unit would go faster and could not be recovered, the end result would be the rider would fall forward at high speed and in theory the unit would continue forward running over the rider. the only way to modify would be customized self righting, meaning a smaller rider requires less power to self right than a larger rider. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Segway Sam said:

the reason it is restricted is it needs reserve power to upright the rider

No, I disagree, from a design engineer's point of view you are simplifying the situation too much.

The Ninebot design team wrote an excellent blog detailing the safety margins upon which the MiniPRO was built. You can find it with Google Translate in the Chrome Browser at http://bbs.ninebot.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=4100&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D43 1/23

Truth is that the current firmware still has flaws which can, and do, result in the rider being thrown forward and run over. It happened to me.

After reading the designer's blog I formed the opinion (as a design engineer) that many of the current speed and weight limitations were based on requirements by the various country's safety authorities, rather than on limitations of the platform. Additionally, when Ninebot was forced to used high-quality LG batteries by the hoverboard-fires scandal, the amount of power the motors had available was actually increased significantly (see my post on battery peak-power testing). This was never exploited to improve the carrying ability of the platform, and hence its safety margin. All firmware versions have the same balance capabilities, that is how they were designed.

Finally, in answer to your question, the current being drawn, and rotational speeds of the motors are what the firmware uses to regulate the power it delivers.The current sensing resistors can be clearly seen at the top of the control board (R004 or R008 SMD power-resistors)

If you want to explore this further, MRN76 has produced an app which allows any of the major Ninebot firmware revisions to be programmed into any MiniPRO, and the original firmware replaced after testing. Search here for "JTAG" to find my posts on implementing those changes. You can learn a heck of a lot about the device by looking at the progression of the designers' thought-processes as the device went to market, and was changed through to its current state (v1.4.1)

Hope that helps...

Edited by trevmar
  • Upvote 3

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2018 at 9:16 AM, Anj Villarruz said:

Thank you Andy. Maybe Google translate will be of help, hopefully. 

I wonder if they can ship to Canada, would love to give it a try! If it's not too out of your way, can you ask him how I can get one shipped here? Many thanks.

Hey, im also in Toronto ... was wondering if you had any luck doing this / getting it done??

• 1 month later...

Just a wild idea..... Ride the thing backwards. Just have a handle that's modified so that your input is reversed. Set the handle so that there is a pivot point, which can be installed on a brace that holds the center portion. On that brace have a disk that has 2 pins. When one pin is moved from handle input, the bottom pin will move opposite. Thus as you turn one direction, the input will get reversed and you can steer regular while driving reverse. 

Shouldn't be to hard of a mechanical design? Then you wouldn't have to worry about screwing with the software

2 hours ago, b0n3head said:

Ride the thing backwards.

This has been done. Due to an unbelieveable oversight in the firmware, when riding backwards, the top speed tilt-back turns into a tilt-forward. The person who tried it crashed and urged nobody else to try it.

If you don’t believe me, test this: Run your battery (nearly) empty. Then hop on the MiniPro the wrong way, and start accelerating uphill. The tilt-back will employ right away, so you can test it at a slow speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, b0n3head said:

Just a wild idea..... Ride the thing backwards. Just have a handle that's modified so that your input is reversed. Set the handle so that there is a pivot point, which can be installed on a brace that holds the center portion. On that brace have a disk that has 2 pins. When one pin is moved from handle input, the bottom pin will move opposite. Thus as you turn one direction, the input will get reversed and you can steer regular while driving reverse. 

Shouldn't be to hard of a mechanical design? Then you wouldn't have to worry about screwing with the software

It does not work, as the sensitivity is very different on the steering when it is in reverse even if you reverse the input.  Not only that but it seems the algorithm that handles angle differences/rotational speed differences between the wheels is also different.  Un fortunately to get it to be safe going backwards seems to be a fair bit or work.  

• 4 weeks later...

That's a pity.  There was a lot of valuable discussion in the "Russian Hack" topic, even though Alex abandoned development to focus on other EUC/Scooters. Future Netizens would have found that discussion via Google if it had been left online. A great resource has disappeared, although I did capture some of it offline.

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have my Ninebot mini unlocked now and running with original firmware.  I can do it also for you here in Europe, no need to send board to China, no any risk. 

I backup firmware, send it for unlock and upload back.  Unlock of firmware is not made on my side.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 12:20 PM, Koci said:

Hi, I have my Ninebot mini unlocked now and running with original firmware.  I can do it also for you here in Europe, no need to send board to China, no any risk. 

I backup firmware, send it for unlock and upload back.  Unlock of firmware is not made on my side.

Hello from Berlin,

ich have a Ninebot mini (320).

Koci, can you tell me how you did this, the "unlock" ?

I am interested too, to do this ...hope some ccan help me ..

Thanks from Berlin, Ingo

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, the easiest method if you send me a board. I can send you a manual how to remove it.  Then I will read binnary out and send to China for unlock.  Then write it back.

You will be able to upgrade it with official firmware without locking back.

Well, the maximum speed should be 25km/h.  I drove maximum 24km/h then I felt unsafe - unstable.  It is huge difference between 18 and 24. I am almost 2m tall and 95kg and I am using just standard version - 700W. There may be problem with stability on heavier people.

My normal travelling speed is between 18-20 km/h.  So the biggest advantage of unlock for me is not tilt back and beeping at 18km/h. I can not say behaviour at speed of 25km/h because I never reached this speed.