Hacking the MiniPro's speed limiter

8 hours ago, Vik's said:

That's right.

AFAIK, MiniPro's went faster in their early days, right before Ninebot has bought Segway. And once they got UL-sertification (and/or because of that) they have made the unit more safe, even excessively at that... Probably to avoid unnecessary and ridiculous lawsuits. (Alas, they have aquired Segway to put an end to copyright feud with them.)

This is interesting.  Do you happen to know how fast they went in the beginning?  Based on the top speed of their S1/S2 and E models I would guess 20-22kph.

5 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

This is interesting.  Do you happen to know how fast they went in the beginning?  Based on the top speed of their S1/S2 and E models I would guess 20-22kph.

Your guess is correct. ca. 20km/h in good Ninebot fashion.

None I understand. Someone in this thread just said most two wheel devices are risen by.........

someone compared their modification to tuning a car by modifying it to go faster. What your are sugestin is not the same. Tuning is done with thought and with reliability and safety in mind. 

Now if your idea of tuning is disabling. The rev limiter so you can go pass 8,000 rpm, throwing away all the seat belts to reduce weight. Removing front and rear crash bumpers, sealing all the windows shut and throwing away all the window hardware, changing the pulley sizes. 

Do all that and your car will go very fast for a short period of time. That is very dumb. Also if you crash you will die also. 

Then only way to make it faster properly is by engineering the changes. Bigger diameter wheels, higher battery voltages, stronger MOSFET. 

• Upvote 1

@Carlos E Rodriguez

Completely agree with you ;)

Unluckily,  there will be never an engineering equipe that will operate a serious and safety tuning on our miniPro:rolleyes: All the mods that can come out will be at our own mind and risk. ..

For example,  I just ordered the Rockwheel GT16 with a 63km/h idle motor:o:shock2::dribble::clap3:

Edited by zugu
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, zugu said:

@Carlos E Rodriguez

Completely agree with you ;)

Unluckily,  there will be never an engineering equipe that will operate a serious and safety tuning on our miniPro:rolleyes: All the mods that can come out will be at our own mind and risk. ..

For example,  I just ordered the Rockwheel GT16 with a 63km/h idle motor:o:shock2::dribble::clap3:

Yeah.  I like the GT16 a lot. 

16 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

None I understand. Someone in this thread just said most two wheel devices are risen by.........

someone compared their modification to tuning a car by modifying it to go faster. What your are sugestin is not the same. Tuning is done with thought and with reliability and safety in mind. 

Now if your idea of tuning is disabling. The rev limiter so you can go pass 8,000 rpm, throwing away all the seat belts to reduce weight. Removing front and rear crash bumpers, sealing all the windows shut and throwing away all the window hardware, changing the pulley sizes. 

Do all that and your car will go very fast for a short period of time. That is very dumb. Also if you crash you will die also. 

Then only way to make it faster properly is by engineering the changes. Bigger diameter wheels, higher battery voltages, stronger MOSFET. 

You're straying very far off track with the analogy.  We aren't talking about disabling the rev limiter and throwing away the seatbelt in a car.  As mentioned, the MiniPro goes 25kph in reverse as it comes from the factory and I have tested this up hills, with sudden braking, hard acceleration and at various battery levels and the system handles it fine.  I think you have completely missed that point (that it can already go 25kph from the factory with no modifications).  So I'm looking for a way to get it to do the same in forward motion, and ideally even slower at a more reasonable 22kph, that's all. 

47 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

You're straying very far off track with the analogy.  We aren't talking about disabling the rev limiter and throwing away the seatbelt in a car.  As mentioned, the MiniPro goes 25kph in reverse as it comes from the factory and I have tested this up hills, with sudden braking, hard acceleration and at various battery levels and the system handles it fine.  I think you have completely missed that point (that it can already go 25kph from the factory with no modifications).  So I'm looking for a way to get it to do the same in forward motion, and ideally even slower at a more reasonable 22kph, that's all. 

Agreed.

20-22 km/h sounds just about right and like it was intended to be from the beginning.

28 minutes ago, zugu said:

No...

25kph would be fine !!! B)

25 km/h and more would be a stretch, - not giving too much headroom for heavier riders and difficult conditions...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have seen in forum that the minipro can go up to 25 kph in reverse is that a fact.. i have remove the reverse  warning over speed warning from mine and made a test run.

it felt that it was going must faster then 16 kph until  i  whip out, any one did this test, if this is right there is a way to speed it up to 25 kph, 

i need your input to start mod, thanks

We all need a firmware re writerB):unsure: in order to erase the 18kph limit programmed in forward direction....too much drawbacks into hacking mini to going reverse in order to use the hole in not limited speed control in reverse direction. .:rolleyes:

On 6/23/2017 at 7:01 PM, Vik's said:

@theo It's all here:

Take it easy and read though the whole thread, including some warnings!

what Waring, i use handlebar way more stable and that the need for more speed  

15 minutes ago, theo said:

after my test in reverse at over 16km i think it is possible to invert the the polarity to the motor AND inverse the gyro so that it think it going backwards

that will give us a forward speed of 25km  but need to now where is the gyro, is it on the main board or those 2 small side boards.

we need to figure it out to unlock that stupid 16km  limit

some one must have the answer for the gyro

i contacted segway to increase the speed and they answer was like NO WAY

let,s getter and find the solution.

thanks

IMG_20170623_160344.jpg

13 hours ago, theo said:

what Waring, i use handlebar way more stable and that the need for more speed  

The warning that is now placed in the very first post there. About mini's titlback forward (meaning - in the same direction you ride while riding it backward) when max speed is reached,

And yes, "reverse-mod" makes the handlebars unusable...

It depends which handlebar you're using. ..;)

In some cases,  just need to invert the bar modules mounting it to point to external space ;) or adapt a straight bar

The 'riding in reverse' mod is dead.  It turned out to be very dangerous.  I am still looking for suggestions to increase the speed going forward.  At the moment it seems the only way is to hack the firmware. 

Yes..

Must be intercepted the piece of shit code for the forward direction that isn't present in backward direction ;)

We need a Good decoder/coder:thumbup:

Hello all

I understand that many of you want more speed, but having more speed means having less battery.
I too would like to have 20km / h for example.

In 2750 km traveled with my Mini I had 4 falls.
Having a fall at 17km / h is not the same as having a fall at 25km / h

And to see your mini continue to drive without you (see topic about run away issue ) in the middle of the road at 25km / h, it is very dangerous for others too, I hope you run fast to catch it...

For those who have never seen their Mini hitting a wall at 18km / h, you will cry...

For those who do not know how much Ninebot is putting in the way to defend its patents, I advise you to read this article.

https://dailyhover.com/the-endless-patent-battles-of-segway/

and U.S  United States International Trade Commission complaints https://www.usitc.gov/3168.htm

Ninebot does not hesitate to call on its lawyers in New York to sue the world's people who would use its technology.
If the firmware is hacked, this is a violation of Ninebot's patents rights.

During the downgrade, last year, there was a comparable risk.

Actualy for me, the best way for feel high speed in my hair is riding by night, it's seems really more faster than daily, all is quiet,,, everybody is sleeping, no cars, no bike, for see you are super low speed........... alone with the stars...

• Upvote 1

Not agree...

Anyone is responsible of personal proper actions !! 

If I modify a car called for example BMW,  only myself is responsible of this action , nor the brand can pretend something by myself !!! Nor someone could make imputation to that brand to produce no secure cars or negate to the company the achievement of further licences for someone,  private and company external,  who have altered a machine taking their logo brands but not produced and delivered by the original company in that modified way !!!

A Milkman cannot be responsible or procede against someone who decide to put drugs in the xxx Milk brand and drinks it !!! Anyhow,  will be the law to punish the man who altered his milk if his conduct will cause problems to someone else  or became dangerous for the community !!!

My 2 cents:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ozpeter said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R6FZXWO8C1JG4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B019Z6HS86

A user claiming to have made a mechanical modification to make it easier to get to top speed.

No, He said in his review he modified the kneebar so it feels stable accelerating to top speed (lean back feature) now he feels safer. Speed did not change nor is he going any faster.