What's the finest wheel that could be made with today's technology?

LanghamP

Man, I love wheels; they are like motorcycles that I used to love but with much less the cost and the danger. :)

"Finest" can mean different things for different people. I should think we'd had "finest fastest wheel", "finest safest wheel (that goes at a reasonable speed)", and "finest cruising wheel".

I'm not an engineer and titanium, aluminum, and magnesium are just cool-sounding metals that make me want to buy something over plain steel.

I'm completely guessing  with no basis of evidence that right now we could if money was no object make a wheel that could go 100km/h with a rider that weighs 100kg, and weighs under 50 pounds.

Hey, just a guess. Thoughts?

Xiaomi's new two wheel scooter. It is a robot hidden inside a Segway. Or the swan like EUC you can find in the Aliexpress. Last year I saw some Chinese guy made a ring like EUC, hollow in the center, but it remains a prototype.

I personally wish all new EUC come with built-in seats and handles. They are essential to the function of EUCs. Strangely most of new EUC either comes with a seat, or a handle. The ones have both sucks. Why is that?

On 5/23/2017 at 6:36 PM, LanghamP said:

Man, I love wheels; they are like motorcycles that I used to love but with much less the cost and the danger. :)

"Finest" can mean different things for different people. I should think we'd had "finest fastest wheel", "finest safest wheel (that goes at a reasonable speed)", and "finest cruising wheel".

I'm not an engineer and titanium, aluminum, and magnesium are just cool-sounding metals that make me want to buy something over plain steel.

I'm completely guessing  with no basis of evidence that right now we could if money was no object make a wheel that could go 100km/h with a rider that weighs 100kg, and weighs under 50 pounds.

Hey, just a guess. Thoughts?

I've taken some abuse on this forum in the past about how 'harsh' ive been towards The Uniwheel, and perhaps some of it is justified. But i guess part of my anger was frustration, because design wise it looked so sweet....and so much embodied your 'money no object' ideal (performance aside). I think the ultimate iteration of these wheels is something that is lightweight, modular, and with high capacity extremely-easily replaceable batteries.

Plus it MUST be portable. As in awe as I genuinely am with eucs like the Gotway Monster....what is the point of them over a motorcycle/moped if you can't carry them around without being Schwarzenneger.

Mmm. All I really want is an Inmotion-designed MSV3. I want a sleek Inmotion wheel with all the nice features like motor-cutout button under the handle, trolley handle, mudflap, battery indicator..etc. But also an 18" wheel, 1500w motor, 1600wh battery (upgradeable). 30lbs or less due to advanced materials, or new micro-batteries (once invented) would be ideal. I'd pay a premium for that wheel!:dribble:

5 hours ago, Philip W said:

Xiaomi's new two wheel scooter. It is a robot hidden inside a Segway. Or the swan like EUC you can find in the Aliexpress. Last year I saw some Chinese guy made a ring like EUC, hollow in the center, but it remains a prototype.

I personally wish all new EUC come with built-in seats and handles. They are essential to the function of EUCs. Strangely most of new EUC either comes with a seat, or a handle. The ones have both sucks. Why is that?

An EUC with a seat and handle is just a plain old motorcycle. Don't want it. Otherwise it an electric motorcycle. 

The untimate EUC WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY. would be all titanium and magnesium. Superconducting stator will need less windings and less battery capacity to maintain same range or better. Internal flywheel-gyro so it stay upright on one wheel with no support. No cutoff because the design will have huge margins and will never allow rider to accelerated beyond capability. Used GPS and mapping to predict road profile and adjust before rider goes up hill or down hill. 

I don't think there is such a thing, but agree with kasenutty that hatchet's idea sounds close.

The reason I don't think there could be one perfect wheel is that different ones serve different purposes.  I would like:

1.  One wheel that was light and small enough to fit in a backpack and/or under a seat in any of the usual public transportation scenarios ...

.... but I would also like ...

2.  A great big wheel to make it easy to go over big bumps, tree roots, curbs, and other obstacles very comfortably and with a high safety margin.

You can't have two different size wheels at once unless you buy two different wheels, though.

What I would like that would carry over to all wheels is lots and lots of power.  Enough for even the small EUC's to move around the average American male (190 lbs.) with ease and safety and with good range, and even up and down hills.  It looks like we're a long way away from that, at this point.  

P.S.: I'm also a big fan of the idea of seats on an EUC.  So there! :P  At least if they can be made reasonably comfortable.  This is one reason that tall wheels actually appeal to me.  It should be much easier to sit on them than on small wheels.

I saw this video on facebook with a headline along the line of "vehicles of the future" and one of the featured vehicles was an EUC with a wheel that was segmented into maybe 20 parts that could be shot out with a piston effectively making this future euc able to climb stairs. A shame i can't find the vid. 

21 hours ago, Carlos E Rodriguez said:

An EUC with a seat and handle is just a plain old motorcycle. Don't want it. Otherwise it an electric motorcycle. 

The untimate EUC WITH CURRENT TECHNOLOGY. would be all titanium and magnesium. Superconducting stator will need less windings and less battery capacity to maintain same range or better. Internal flywheel-gyro so it stay upright on one wheel with no support. No cutoff because the design will have huge margins and will never allow rider to accelerated beyond capability. Used GPS and mapping to predict road profile and adjust before rider goes up hill or down hill. 

Superconductors need a lot of cooling power to maintain, not today's tech yet. Titanium is too expensive for a wheel.

The current tech of battery will double the range of our EUCs, and twice the life. That will be a big improvement!

Or maybe a pot-hole sensor that will automatically slow down if there is a pot-hole ahead? That's a big safety issue.

11 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

For me the perfect wheel is quite simply A Solowheel Xtreme that will do 30kph, 30 miles range and not have a ridiculous price tag. 

It's so goddamn beautiful:

IMG-20150506-_WA0025.jpg

I agree, they look great, small handle, tire exposed to the maximum.  And the price is too high.  But the speed is just right for me, I don't like to ride faster than 10 mph with the fear of a cutout always in the back of my mind.  Might be my next wheel, if I can find one used.  It's the way I buy high end cars, i can't really afford a new one, but they are so great, buying used is my only option.  I would like either a white or black wheel, for about, say, 700 dollars^_^  Shane Chen looks a lot like Shenzhen:innocent1:  I think Solowheels  look well designed and well made:wub:

Archived