Air travel

rdalcanto

The other problem with the supercap idea is that nobody in the airport would believe you when you told them you'd replaced the lithium battery with an exotic supercapacitor.  They're not equipped to evaluate the truth of that statement, so they'd just say no.  It would still be a "lithium powered device" to them.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ombre said:

The other problem with the supercap idea is that nobody in the airport would believe you when you told them you'd replaced the lithium battery with an exotic supercapacitor.  They're not equipped to evaluate the truth of that statement, so they'd just say no.  It would still be a "lithium powered device" to them.

I think you can get an official aircraft classification from the manufacturer, they already had them certified for air transport. If there's an official classification on them it's no longer up to airline staff to decide what it is.

• 4 years later...
On 12/22/2016 at 8:04 AM, lizardmech said:

I think you can get an official aircraft classification from the manufacturer, they already had them certified for air transport. If there's an official classification on them it's no longer up to airline staff to decide what it is.

I confirm that that's the case. Get in touch with the manufacturer and they'll let you know.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I don't think there is a legal way to do this, but I still wanted to check: has anybody managed to check-in his EUC for a flight? 

I remember when I was travelling with my diving gear. To transport the flashlight it was only necessary to unmount the bulb. Maybe a disconnected battery pack will do the same trick?

Big battery packs aren't allowed in checked luggage or carry-on on commercial flights and will almost certainly be caught at screening. If you're planning way in advance you could ship the packs separately and carry on the frame (although TSA might give you a hard time), or just ship the whole wheel.

If you're money no object type probably charter/private flights will be more flexible about this.

Edited by chanman

55 minutes ago, litewave said:

Just curious, why not take a high-speed train (z.B., ICE)? Are EUCs allowed on them? You Europeans are so lucky to have them ... :)

Fair point. Pretty sure they are allowed there. But the locations I have in mind are either still too far away (=costing 2 days of vacation time) or islands. 

IATA rules forbid all self-balancing vehicles, no matter the battery size (maybe even without battery). 

So you're looking at shipping the wheel and taking the flight yourself. 

Some travel service companies could offer you that service of receiving it and later shipping it out again. As Etna Adventure event organisers did with my EX20S from Portugal to Italy and back. And everyone else's wheels from all over Europe. 

Edited by Jean eRide.ie Community

• 3 months later...

Ok.

It seems like I cant expect much from InMotion’s nee adventure series, so I am creating this topic hoping some EUC company make this wheel.

I want a EUC that I can take on an airplane, get off, and ride it to my destination on the country with some number of batteries I can take on airplane.

To make this possible. One way is pack the EUC at one check-in bag of   total Width+Height+Length sum of less than 62 inches while packing TWO 160wh battery packs + any number of 100wh battery packs in the carryon bag. The weight of the EUC without battery should be less than 50lbs. 

So if u take two 160wh + four 100wh batteries then u can have an EUC with 720wh battery. T4 has 1440wh and have range of 60~90miles, so ,theretically u probably can have an EUC that can go 30~45miles with t4’s top speed. (37mph?)

Begod T4 dimension is 26x 11x 18  total 55 so about that size EUC can be taken on airplane.

Another way is, with the battey packs installed, the dimension of the EUC can be 21.5 x 14 x 9 which is the maximum carry on bag dimensions.  The Weight of the EUC with batteries should be less than 40lbs.

begode mten3 is 17.7 x 11 x 5.6 and 22lbs.

so if T4 or mten3 is converted to swappable battery packs that can take two 160wh battery plus some 100wh batteries.

I am saying this because its really possible to take capable EUC on airplane with a good design. 

BTW The advantage of carry on bag size EUC is that u will have a lot less trouble taking the EUC in a bus in places like Asian where the bus could be crowded.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dongsoola said:

I want a EUC that I can take on an airplane, get off, and ride it to my destination on the country with some number of batteries I can take on airplane.

7 minutes ago, dongsoola said:

160wh battery packs

This regulation exists since some time, unfortionately in the past were some reports of  known airline companies refusing to transport

7 minutes ago, dongsoola said:

EUC without battery

and generally about every pev even without battery.

Did this situation change by now? 

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

This regulation exists since some time, unfortionately in the past were some reports of  known airline companies refusing to transport

and generally about every pev even without battery.

Did this situation change by now? 

Person with any electrical knowlege should have no problem with devices without battery. We dont have to worry about the ignorance of some airlines managers.

Actually I expected InMotion come with swappable battery packs that can be taken on airline, but they are planning to have these big size batteries that u have to go through hassles like renting and returning, etc.

They should have two main 160wh battery packs with extra any pair number of 100wh battery pack configuration.

That way, u can really take the needed battery packs on airplane.

3 hours ago, dongsoola said:

I cant edit my posts for some reason. Sorry for poor writing.

You can from now on:)

3 hours ago, dongsoola said:

Person with any electrical knowlege should have no problem with devices without battery. We dont have to worry about the ignorance of some airlines managers.

It costs them time and money to argue with passengers what is allowed and what not. Also, mistakes or cheating/lying (how does the airline know you really removed your batteries?) can happen there, and a fire onboard would be the worst case consequence of such a mistake/cheating.

It makes sense that airlines will just blanket ban any electric vehicles, with or without battery. Unless you have the opposite in writing from a specific flight/airline, that is what you should expect to be the default from any airline.

You can't bring a EUC on a passenger plane unless proven otherwise. I'm afraid that's how it is currently.

• Upvote 2

This seems like a lost battle to me. Check this link to the IATA’s recommendations. Even if on paper battery packs <= 160Wh are allowed, many (many) airlines prohibit « self balancing devices » altogether (see list on page 3. 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/small-lithium-battery-powered-vehicles.pdf

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Guillaume_k said:

This seems like a lost battle to me. Check this link to the IATA’s recommendations. Even if on paper battery packs <= 160Wh are allowed, many (many) airlines prohibit « self balancing devices » altogether (see list on page 3. 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/small-lithium-battery-powered-vehicles.pdf

No. What those airlines on page 3 r prohibiting are having vehicles with battery installed in CARRY ON baggage, not CHECKED IN baggage. 

This is understandable because even though, by rule, u have to have battery packs installed on the electric device in a carry on bag, EUC is unlike other electric device like camera where it can make significant threatening physical force in case it’s accidentally activated.

In other words, there is no way transfer EUC as a carry on for now.

But I am not sure if they will continue to disallow an EUC and uninstalled battey packs in a carryon bag in future.

All they  want is they want battery packs to be properly installed on the device to be secure.

This rule probably can be improved by fsa? authority in future by requiring the battery packs in a proper case or something.

In any case, its perfectly ok to have an EUC in a checked bag without battery even now.

u can carry the batteries separately in ur carry in bag. U can have two 160wh battery packs with pre approval from the airline and any number of 100wh battery packs.

Edited by dongsoola

Ok. The funniest comment I ever heard while riding this, after seeing me riding EUC, this guy was saying. “Now I have seen everything.”

haha.

it will take some time for FAA allow a small EUC with separate battery packs in a carry on bag.

But we need to have a proper product first to show them. Ok here is my EUC without batteries installed and here are the batteries all wrapped up securely in a protective case. What can go wrong?   

Eventually, this needs the public to get familiar with these devices too. Currently there r different looking devices and even if u tell them it has no battey, they dont know if anything is hiding in there.. etc..

Edited by dongsoola

• 3 weeks later...

Wish all you like, it’s not gonna happen. 
Batteries are not allowed to be checked in. Laptops and phones must be carried on.  Large batteries must be shipped land and sea freight. 
They are too big and heavy to carry on, airlines are all about weight. 
They catch fire. Do you know why you cannot smoke on planes anymore? 🔥