Share your Thanksgiving Moments

Rehab1

Happy Thanksgiving! Everyone has a story revolving around Thanksgiving and those heartfelt, funny (and sometimes not) family get together moments! Share them! This is a tough day for my wife and I so please share your much needed enjoyable stories!

I will begin:

My military son, wife and 2 grand daughters are in town today from Little Rock, Arkansas. One of my son's best friends is the head chef for the Dallas Cowboys. Using my son's Iphone his 4 yr old daughter text messaged the chef images of a beating heart that is designed to show affection. At the time the chef was in the middle of a team interview with a local TV station as the Cowboys play the Redskins today. The chef had no idea what was happening thinking my son was sending him the affectionate messages!  The whole team had a huge laugh at the end when they eventually found out what had happened!:clap3:

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanksgiving isn't something that is celebrated here in New Zealand...

No Black Friday either? 

6 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Though I suppose we should be thankful that we don't have a president...

I like the Mixed Member Proportional system your country has adopted and the separation of powers making sure no one part of your  government has to much power!

I bet your Queen wished she lived in a house like this:laughbounce2:

IMG_3856.JPG

On 11/24/2016 at 7:00 AM, Rehab1 said:

the Cowboys play the Redskins today.

And the Cowboys won! 10 in a row now, going to the Superbowl:thumbup: I drove by the death star yesterday (AT&T stadium) and just happened to be driving by when Terrance Williams made a touchdown.  Heard it on the radio and the tailgaters speakers at the same time.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

And the Cowboys won! 10 in a row now, going to the Superbowl:thumbup: I drove by the death star yesterday (AT&T stadium) and just happened to be driving by when Terrance Williams made a touchdown.  Heard it on the radio and the tailgaters speakers at the same time.

Nice!!:clap3:It was a great game! Prescott is playing like a 10 year veteran! Barring any injuries Romo is out!

This is my son's friend Randy Lann who is the official Dallas Cowboys Tailgate chef that lives next door to him in Little Rock, AR.

Thanksgiving was last month for us in Canada so it was a bit of a blur.  :sleep1: I think I had some prepackaged Turkey which was alright.  A whole turkey is just too large and time consuming to prepare.

I was thankful that I could still get some chances to ride my Ninebot, but currently it's just too darn cold and dark to ride anywhere unless you want to get hit by a car.  :rolleyes:  I'm still alive and haven't been arrested yet so that's another bonus.  :w00t2:

Swiss Chalet (do you guys have those in the US/NZ/Switzerland/RestoftheWorld?) used to have turkey dinner specials which were nice.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Swiss Chalet (do you guys have those in the US/NZ/Switzerland/RestoftheWorld?) used to have turkey dinner specials which were nice.

Never heard of it - had to Google them. 

Now I'm starting to think about all the things that are considered "everyday" here, but just get blank looks from everyone around the world...

Like Lemon & Paeroa for example. 

It's interesting to see the differences in national holidays that you may take for granted where you live and get used to having whereas other countries have different dates and traditions.  We got a newer holiday called "Family Day" where we're supposed to hang out with family.  Seemed kind of random to me, but hey an extra day off not working I'm not gonna complain about!  :lol:

There's a place in Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida that has a bunch of different soft drinks from around the world that you can sample.  Beverly was interesting.  :whistling:

Hey the guy from Lost (Hurley) ;)  was there!

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Thanksgiving was last month for us in Canada so it was a bit of a blur.  :sleep1: I think I had some prepackaged Turkey which was alright.  A whole turkey is just too large and time consuming to prepare.

I hear yah. For many years it has been a blur for me as well. 

What no family to celebrate? My dogs loved it! They licked the dishes so clean that my wife and I just place them back in the cupboards.

11 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was thankful that I could still get some chances to ride my Ninebot, but currently it's just too darn cold and dark to ride anywhere unless you want to get hit by a car.  :rolleyes:  I'm still alive and haven't been arrested yet so that's another bonus.  :w00t2:

It is getting cold and miserable here as well. I was able to ride a bit today and then went indoors to shoot.

7 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's a place in Disneyworld in Orlando, Florida that has a bunch of different soft drinks from around the world that you can sample.  Beverly was interesting.  :whistling:

@steve454, @The Fat Unicyclist and myself are sending you a case of Beverly but only if you agree to take a video of you gulping down 16 ounces!:cheers:

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Now I'm starting to think about all the things that are considered "everyday" here, but just get blank looks from everyone around the world...

Like Lemon & Paeroa for example. 

Wow your country must really like L&P! Do people in NZ kneel before this God?:laughbounce2: I did a little research and the drink does sound awesome! Bummer it is not offered in my country!:crying:

IMG_0453.JPG

10 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

O:blink:ps..forgot about your question on Swiss Chalet. They had great food but it appears they left town around the same time A&W did. 

54 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Wow your country must really like L&P! Do people in NZ kneel before this God?:laughbounce2: I did a little research and the drink does sound awesome! Bummer it is not offered in my country!:crying:

IMG_0453.JPG

It is a really good drink - I'll bring some when I come to visit. 

They have also diversified lately with a sour version and a chilli & lime. But that still hasn't been enough to get people kneeling in front of it - we Kiwi just like really big things! 

Carrots...

OhakuneCarrot1.jpg

Kiwifruit...

kiwi-3601.jpg

Stone fruit...

Big_fruit_outside_Cromwell_Central_Otago

Salmon...

giant-trout-rakaia.jpg

Trout...

Brown+trout+Gore_New_Zealand1.jpg

Crayfish...

P72100011.jpg

A sandfly...

nz_15.jpg

Though this one was actually real - shot by a hunter and then stuffed and mounted! 

A gumboot...

giant-gumboot-700-1.jpg

A "Simpsons" donut (in Springfield)...

imagejan11_4311-e1412427445526.jpg

And, the coup de gras - a sausage...

3A1A9369_620x310-420x210.jpg

20 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I wish, that food looks good, were the prices in Canadian dollars?

10 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

It is getting cold and miserable here as well. I was able to ride a bit today and then went indoors to shoot.

Shoot what?:o

@The Fat Unicyclist there seems to be a lot of giant food sculptures in New Zealand, and what's up with the big boot?

22 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I was thankful that I could still get some chances to ride my Ninebot, but currently it's just too darn cold and dark to ride anywhere unless you want to get hit by a car.  :rolleyes:  .

I'm sorry to hear about the cold and dark.  I took my wheel Into Barcelona for the first time yesterday. Sunny, 15*c I was surprised to find a) a nude beach, and b.. nudists still using it. It wasn't stonking hot but I was comf. In a tee shirt and shorts.  People were playing beach volleyball ( one girl in a th,th,th,th,thong ?). Beach side restaurants were hopping. La Rambla was packed. Blond made up like Marilyn Monroe was having her skirt blown up ??? on the balcony of the Erotic museum.  It was a good trip.  I've got some video somewhere. Chatted with a Dutch man on a rented ebike.  We rode along together down the waterfront.  He was surprised I recognised his Dutch accent.  " I didn't know I had an accent " he said.  I didn't have the heart to tell him that all Dutch people speaking English sound like Austin Powers Goldmember.  " a bong and a blintz? " " a smoke and a pancake". 

No disrespect. Remember I'm the " impressed you all write English so well" guy.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist there seems to be a lot of giant food sculptures in New Zealand, and what's up with the big boot?

That is in Taihape... The Gumboot Capital of the World! 

7 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Neat link, I watched the video and learned something new.  Gumboot throwing!  And the world championship is in Italy!

And here you all thought riding an EUC was obscure.

10 hours ago, steve454 said:

I wish, that food looks good, were the prices in Canadian dollars?

Swiss Chalet is pretty good for rotisserie chicken, but Toronto has some better spots.  It's like KFC, just not deep fried.   All prices up here are in Canadian dollars.  I know some countries will charge in USD but not in Canada.  It sounds like you've never visited?  Vancouver is nice.  Toronto has a lot happening if you like big cities.  I haven't travelled too much else in Canada, but Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are hopefully on the future list.   Quebec city is different, but they have the original poutine I think.

I've never heard of the term gumboot.  Over here they are called rain boots, galoshes, and rubber boots.  Barcelona has nude beaches?  :dribble: Niiiiice!  I've been to Orient Beach on St. Maarten once.  I had to sit down mainly... darn grade five memories all over again!!!!  :cry2:  Must be nice to be retired and visiting Spain!  I love Spanish paellas.

We also like the big things here.  Case in point:

Giant Perogie

roadside-attraction-glendon-alberta-gian

Jumbo Pisanka Egg

2728764469_53741d8291_b.jpg

Nice beaver!

b124ac08c3a0ebee29a7bcec221b02f4.jpg

Humongous Ukrainian sausage?

7cf52de170ea686b6006e2c487045612.jpg

47 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

you've never visited?

No, but I always liked Canada.  Looks like a good place to live.

By the way, I didn't know hares could stand up like that.  And what are those rectangular black things by their feet, solar panels, do they light up at night?  First you have weird colored playground equipment, now a rabbit about to ride a Ninebot.  That picture was great.:thumbup:

Those are just little plaques dedicated to someone I think.  I didn't read them as it was too cold so photo, dash, and run (or roll actually!).  Canada is too cold.  It's okay here - not too much drama usually, but on the other hand it's a bit boring in some places.   Not as many crazy, random shootings here like in the US, but we have our share of problems.  Summer time is better to visit unless you like to skii.

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The Gumboot Capital of the World! 

That got me thinking, why are rubber boots so popular in New Zealand?  Wikipedia says they are used mostly by farmers and people working in wet climates.  So is New Zealand really rainy or is there a lot of agriculture there.

Or maybe that is where most of the rubber trees are.

Wellies forever!:P

Archived