Share your Thanksgiving Moments

Rehab1

23 minutes ago, steve454 said:

That got me thinking, why are rubber boots so popular in New Zealand?  Wikipedia says they are used mostly by farmers and people working in wet climates.  So is New Zealand really rainy or is there a lot of agriculture there.

Or maybe that is where most of the rubber trees are.

Wellies forever!:P

We have a lot of sheep, which makes gumboots practical... If you slide the sheep's back legs down into them, they can't run away!   :blink:

8 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

We have a lot of sheep, which makes gumboots practical... If you slide the sheep's back legs down into them, they can't run away!   :blink:

Oh ! My! God!  I don't believe you actually went there. ???.   ?+?= very b.a.a.a.a.d !!!!

More on gum boots.  Over here In the rain and mud capital of the world, they are called Wellies.  Which is short for Wellington boots. Why?

wiki says "The Wellington boot is a type of boot based upon leather Hessian boots. They were worn and popularised by Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. This novel "Wellington" boot became a staple of hunting and outdoor wear for the British aristocracy in the early 19th century. They are common in contemporary society, and no longer associated with a particular social class."

i actually disagree with the last statement.  It's common in country pubs (gastro pubs to be accurate) on a weekend to see the oh so posh "green wellie set" troupe in with their "hunting dogs" enjoying a nice lunch, with the oh so posh kids. Green wellies are an accepted fact of class superiority over the more common black wellies that the hoi polloi wear.  Of course a commoner can spend the extra to purchase  green wellies but that won't gain them entry into the green wellie set; that comes with breeding, private school education, a large country house, and ideally a hyphenated last name. Money alone is not enough.

Definition of "gastro pub" ? A pub which has added hot food to its offerings to augment the income from just selling drinks, and also to compete with restaurants.  Some gastro pubs serve basic wholesome food, and one or two might even be Michilin starred, but I'm not sure about that.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Oh ! My! God!  I don't believe you actually went there. ???.   ?+?= very b.a.a.a.a.d !!!!

Why... It's a good thing to make it easier to shear a sheep. What did you think I meant?   :innocent1:

On 11/25/2016 at 9:57 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Trout...

I just noticed the sign in the picture of the giant brown trout says welcome to Gore, the brown trout fishing capital of the world.  First you are the gumboot capital of the world, now this.

Brag much in New Zealand?:lol: I suppose next you'll be the some other capital of the world thing, like wool production.:innocent1:

Oh, crap, I forgot about kiwifruit!

10 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Brag much in New Zealand?:lol: I suppose next you'll be the some other capital of the world thing, like wool production.:innocent1:

I think this sums NZ up really well - they have a soft drink called L&P (which is actually the best soft drink I've ever had) & the tagline is "World famous in New Zealand"!

45 minutes ago, steve454 said:

It's Just like when the USA has a world championship event, but only invites national teams / people...

4 hours ago, Kroy said:

I think this sums NZ up really well - they have a soft drink called L&P (which is actually the best soft drink I've ever had) & the tagline is "World famous in New Zealand"!

Thanks @Kroy.

I run a small L&P export business on the side, if anyone is interested...

Archived