Hit-air airbag vest

9Bot1

Because of the lower speed of an EUC, and the nature of the "cut out" a rider may be on (or very close to) the ground before getting enough separation to trigger the airbag... Then again at low speed it may not need to trigger, and at MSuper v3 speeds it might be quite fast enough (and more necessary).

I would also be keen to know if it is reusable / refillable? For someone who falls off regularly, it could get very expensive very fast. 

I think it's mostly extremities that get injured in EUC crashes.   Collar bones, arms, wrists, ankles, knees.  This looks more like an inflation vest that might save you from drowning if you go flying off into a lake or something.  Maybe if they had a whole jacket that inflated... hard to say... <_<

Dainese has the modular D-Air system that might be worth looking at ... http://www.dainese.com/us_en/d-air/#time_7 .   Perhaps this might be modified for the particular issues facing EUC riders.  I've been down on a motorcycle at ~80mph (fastest, Bira track, lowside) in my (traditional) Dainese suit, and you want the thick leather to protect you from road rash (mine wore completely through on that fall, and I lost some skin).   But EUC falls will be low speed, and you certainly don't need all of the discomfort and weight of full leathers.  I also think the airbags might be overkill for EUCs. I have a nice Japanese mesh jacket with plastic guards on shoulders, back, etc.  I wish I had been wearing it when I dislocated my shoulder :unsure:

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 4.03.37 PM.png

The west is triggered by a lanyard when the motorcycle and the rider is separated by a distance. The question is if you can make a lanyard for an EUC that will trigger mostly only when needed. I have my doubt and believe that if you make it safe enough to trigger when you need it to trigger, you will end up with lots of false triggers such as triggering when you step of the wheel and the wheel falls over. Just my 16.47 øre (=2 c with today's exchange rate)

;-)

• 2 years later...

Another reason why this may not work is that a unicycle is much lighter than a motorcycle. 

The vest is triggered when pulling with a force of 25kg, not sure if a EUC would pull hard enough or just fly into the ground "attached" to you by the rope. 

Anyways, I got a Brembo Airbag jacket for a good price and I'm planning to do a test. Of course I'll be careful...

Probably I'd run into a big "pothole" and that should work... Or just jump of it. Not sure yet.

The most probable accident would be a crash with anlther vehicle, I guess...

I really like this concept, but they left everything from under the arms to the hips unprotected.  This will be a real problem on a bicycle when your handlebar clips something at high speed.  You go down fast and your shoulders are turned in the direction of the object your handlebars clipped leaving your hip to underarms on the other side of your body exposed to hit the ground.  Broke 7 ribs from this kind of accident riding dual sport in the woods, and was wearing what I thought was full upper body armor.  Higher speeds of course, but I hit the dirt which didn’t feel very forgiving but probably better than the pavement, I always look at the bright side, LOL.

Sent them an email asking if the sensor can be mounted horizontally like on a tube top instead of vertically on the seat post and whether the vest will recognize a crash if the rider falls on their back or side. Still waiting for a replay. 

Archived