A More Accurate Battery Gauge Indicator?

swvision

2 hours ago, swvision said:

I have a cheap Airwheel clone for now and would like to upgrade the battery indicator with its 4 red led lights. My question is if its as easy as getting something like this Amazon Link

As long as the wires match it shouldn't be a problem right? 

From the product description it seems to be fine:

"Description:

Supply voltage: DC6-120V (maximum)
Test voltage: DC6 ~ 120V 

How to use:
3. When it shows “2-b”, you can change the type of battery.

3.7V: 1pc 3.7V Lithium polymer battery

Please refer to the following:

3.7V Lithium polymer battery: 2-28pcs
..."

So it should work with ~50-67.2 supply and test voltage and has the setting for 16 li ion cells.

In your case the supply voltage is exactly the test voltage. It could be that this does maybe not work out.

Also you should consider that it is not waterproof.

2 minutes ago, HEC said:

It is actually listed as waterproof ...

You are right, i did not see that the name is ' Waterproof Battery Capacity LED Tester Voltmeter'

But from the Customer Questions & Answers section:

"

Question:

Is the display face water resistant?

Answer:

yes , the display face is water resistant , but this product can't . thanks 
By GEREE on August 25, 2016  SELLER 

----

Question:

Is it waterproof

Answer:

Hello , no , it isn't waterproof 
By GEREE on June 14, 2016  SELLER 

"

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

But from the Customer Questions & Answers section:

Well one of the product pictures shows the whole box submerged in the glass of water ... I believe they're selling multiply versions (like this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-12v-Acid-lead-batteries-indicator-Battery-capacity-digital-LED-Tester-voltmeter/32603484431.html) which are indeed not waterproof. You can always mount it in the rectangle hole in the casing and "waterproof" the edges by silicon.

Just to be sure for safety - there's no way these battery voltage level mods can short out the battery right?  My concern might be if something in the meter shorts out for whatever reason (eg. Rainproofing not so rainproof, cheap Chinese manufacturing standards on lower priced items, etc) the wheel wouldn't be affected while riding?  I guess if it's in parallel worse comes to worse a short in the meter would blow only that part of the circuit and wouldn't trigger a BMS shutdown?

On 2016/10/13 at 1:11 PM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Just to be sure for safety - there's no way these battery voltage level mods can short out the battery right?  My concern might be if something in the meter shorts out for whatever reason (eg. Rainproofing not so rainproof, cheap Chinese manufacturing standards on lower priced items, etc) the wheel wouldn't be affected while riding?  I guess if it's in parallel worse comes to worse a short in the meter would blow only that part of the circuit and wouldn't trigger a BMS shutdown?

You are quite right. There would be a fuse for every thing I add.
fuse-bare.jpg
fuse.jpg

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 7:11 AM, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Good point! Technically the wires to the tester are so thin that they would "burn off" instantly before frying the BMS / battery but to be on the safe side you can always include a small "inline" fuse in series with the tester / display with very low rating (in range of 100 of mA) so if anything shorts it will burn first instead. There is really no need to use 30 - 40A fuse as the tester takes about 20 - 40 mA max.

On 2016/10/22 at 0:28 PM, swvision said:

Looks great zlymex! I wish he would do a step by step on how he installed it. I would think that its very important for EUC since they can be very dangerous at high speeds.

I got some internal photos and I know the rough steps. His V3s+ came without any battery. He specially ordered an 1025Wh battery pack and a sophisticated BMS, and he worked for two whole days to assemble them. At the end, he is too tired that he wouldn't recommend this to anyone as it is also dangerous if any connection goes wrong.

11 hours ago, zlymex said:

There is a very accurate type of battery gauge meter, Coulomb meter, and one of my friends has installed that to his Gotway V3s+.

@zlymex always impressed by your modifications & Engineering know-how. Do you have any insights into the variance between the reputed output through the GW App & the actual through your independent Amp metering instrumentation? 

On 2016/10/22 at 9:53 PM, Jason McNeil said:

@zlymex always impressed by your modifications & Engineering know-how. Do you have any insights into the variance between the reputed output through the GW App & the actual through your independent Amp metering instrumentation? 

Yes, I've just measured that today, here is the comparison chart of my measurement by GL220 with the output of Wheellog while I was idling very hard:
V3-Current.gif
There variance lies in
 - the peak current of Gotway exaggerate by about 110% 
 - it seems to be an very large error or offset or delay at small current.
 - no negative current.

Therefore, if Gotway say the EUC cut-out at 120A, it probably cut-out only at 50A.

Edit: I realized that the two currents are different.
The current Wheellog gives is the armature current of the motor, as the current sensors are in series connection with the armature.
The current by GL220 is the battery output current, which normally smaller than the former because of the downwards PWM.

6 hours ago, MoNo said:

I assume the bigger (green) bumps initiate the (6 to 7) backwards idles and the smaller bumps initiate the forward idles?

Yes, heels has more strength. I actually riding the V3 in reverse(headlight in my back) because by front pedal extension is longer than rear.

Archived