Inmotion V5F+ newbie experience and question about tires

xebeche

Hi, I am 40 years old total newbie, who after month long lurking around the forum and gathering all the useful insights and reviews decided to buy Inmotion V5F+ as my first wheel. Reading all the positive experiences I bought the wheel through @Jason McNeil and can only say that his highly regarded status is more than deserved, man has been very forthcoming and answered all my questions before and after the purchase. Wheel came in perfect condition, with some very nice and useful accessories like the handle and protective cover added for free by Jason.

Through watching the videos and reading all the helpful advices on the forum, I managed to get a grip on the wheel in few days and now after 3 weeks I already have 550km on it. I am using it for daily commute to work when the weather allows (8km in one direction) and for strolling around the city. After years of only driving by car it feels like re-exploring the city all over again.
After one week my wife and older son also started learning. Son is already able to ride very well and wife is able to ride 10-15 meters 
:)

You can imagine that the wheel took some beating serving as a learning wheel for three people, but so far it is performing flawlessly. It has plenty of range (I am 82kg and it still had 29% battery left after 34km trip), more than enough speed for the first wheel and it climbs up the steep hills very easily.

Obviously I don’t have much experience but my only gripe might be with the tire that came with the wheel. Tire is “Hota” brand in dimension 14x2.125, it is kind of “slick” tire and I find that it lacks some grip on the fine gravel. When it gets hot after longer rides it gets somewhat “mushy” and it is not able to hold the pressure above 40 PSI - I pump it to 45 and after 10 minutes it is again on 40 (on the tire it states – inflate to 36 PSI). I would like to know has someone experimented with tires and found out which ones are the best all around tires?

5 hours ago, xebeche said:

“slick” tire

@xebeche Have you seen video how to regroove tires?  Just a thought, but you could probably use a round tip soldering iron or some kind of blade and cut some deeper, extra grooves in your tire to get a more aggressive pattern.  EUC Extreme has a video where he changes the tread on a tire to make it work better.  SuperSport and some others have tried the Maxxis Hookworm and the Schwalbe Big Apple with good results.  Don't know if they come in 14 inch size.  Search tires on the forum.  I wish you good luck with your tire.

Also, you said your tire is 2.125, I thought the V5F+ came with 1.95 tire.  Did you order it that way?

15 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Also, you said your tire is 2.125, I thought the V5F+ came with 1.95 tire.  Did you order it that way?

Yeah I was wondering that too ... maybe IM swapped to 2.125" on both V8 and V5 models? @Jason McNeil might chip in on this.

Yeah the v5f+ does indeed come with 2.125 tires. It's great. A nice compromise between the knife edge of the ninebot and the tractor wheel of my old IPS Lhotz.

@xebeche, losing 5psi in a matter of minutes doesn't sound right at all. Do you have an inner tube puncture or something?

Ignore the psi recommendations on the tire, I think a lot of euc tires are meant to be children's bike tires, where the weight of the person is distributed over two wheels. I ride between 55-59psi and it's fantastic. 

Many thanks to all for your answers and suggestions. I am not familiar with the process of regrooving the tires and would not even dare to do something like that :)
It's not that the tire is completely without grooves, it just looks slick compared to something like CST or Chao Yang tires I have seen on the other EUC-s here on the forum and on YouTube. I will definitely try different tire to see the difference. There is no tube puncture or anything, it holds the 39-40 psi all the time, just not anything above, like it deflates to that certain level. And yes, tire is definitely 14x2.125 

Here are some photos:

1.jpg

2.jpg4.jpg

19 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Just checked: first batch of V5F+s came fitted with the Chao Yang 1.95" tires, @xebeche's tire is a later build with a Hota 2.125. 

So the census is that the Chao Yang 2.125", if it exists in that size, is the one to have? I'll see if I can order a batch of these as spares. 

@Jason McNeil the first batch of V5F+'s shipped with a Chao Yang / Hang Zhou Rubber Factory 14" x 1.95" / 47-254 tire, and it's the best tire I've ever ridden on an EUC, they should've never tinkered with it. 

A 16" x 2.125" or even better 16" x 1.95" variant (less body rub as the current tire has quite a bit against the V8 innards) for the V8 would be much better as well, thanks!

@Jason McNeil there seem to be at least 3 types of Chao Yang tires in dimension 14x2.125 (and 16x2.125...). God knows which ones are the best without trying :)

On the official Chao Yang English website I couldn't find any tire of the similar size or type. It also seems that Chinese are using different names for the brands and specific tires (Sunrise, Diamond, Briskylife, Hercules, Rhino king...). Looks really difficult to understand without some local insight and knowledge of Chinese language.

In general, the most expensive tire across all websites (Taobao, Alibaba, Aliexpess) seem to be CST Rhino King - I ordered one but it will take a month before it arrives.

Here is the link to one type Chao Yang 14x2.125 I managed to find:

https://world.taobao.com/item/528525398084.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.YiWU29#detail 

@houseofjob tread does look different on these new Chao Yang-s, although I don't think it's more pronounced than your tire. Look at these photos of the new tire like yours:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

Only proper way to find out how they feel is to try I guess :)

Interesting, those treads look more pronounced, but the pattern is the same.

FWIW, even though I've been riding daily on my V5F+, the Chao Yang tire looked the same when I got it, more recessed treads. 

@xebeche please report back on how this Chao Yang-s tire performs, particularly when bumping into curbs, jumping down, etc. thanks!

@xebeche, shall we send you out one of the spare Chao Yang's, see how you like it? If it gets the thumbs up, I'll put in a request that we use these exclusively in our upcoming orders.

That's what I really love about Inmotion, they typically do their homework, but are also open to suggestions, if a well-reasoned case is put before them. 

22 minutes ago, xebeche said:

I would like to stay on 2.125" tire width if possible.

Wouldn't worry about that. Might sound counterintuitive, but the CY 14x1.95 feels way wider than you would think on the V5, and I was a big advocate of the wider tire, esp 2.5 in like the 18 inch wheels.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:02 PM, Jason McNeil said:

@xebeche, shall we send you out one of the spare Chao Yang's, see how you like it? If it gets the thumbs up, I'll put in a request that we use these exclusively in our upcoming orders.

That's what I really love about Inmotion, they typically do their homework, but are also open to suggestions, if a well-reasoned case is put before them. 

After about 300 Km I still can't get used to the new 2.125" Kenda tire on V8 ... It seems to have poor grip at gravel and tend to "misbehave" at narrow gaps parallel with direction of the ride like on wooden bridge or boarding with long beams / planks with narrow gaps in-between so I'd definitely like to hear about results from other makes / models or even better get my hands on some to test myself.

Yeah I have to do a massive u-turn here. I'm not sure why I was so sure of myself I had the 2" tire, I just double-checked and it is indeed the 1.95 after all!

Still a good compromise though between the 1.7 of the Ninebot and the 2.5 of my old Ips Lhotz.

No complaints so far....I've managed to make it a year and two eucs now without having to open my wheel or change the tire. Fingers crossed.......

Archived