Is it possible to hack a Ninebot One E+

YaocH

Have recently been bitten by the EUC bug and puchased a Ninebot One E+ couple of months ago. As I'm getting more confident, I am getting bored of the 20kph speed limit I'm getting from the Ninebot One E+ and was thinking if it is possible to swap the control board with this one: https://reseller.alibaba.com/product-detail/16-electric-unicycle-Controller-with-bluetooth_60288223259.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.VsHfbJ

Have seen other threads where other users have been swapping their control boards with the one from Microworks purchased from Alibaba.

Also wondering if the motor for the ninebot one has to be changed to this: https://wholesaler.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-New-Products-brushless-motor-16_60237639861.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.XfG3kt

What do you guys think? Any other peripherals that have to be changed as well like hall sensor connectors or the like? Or if this hack is even possible? Appreciate your comments.

Cheers 

Maybe it's just me, but considering what can go wrong (bodily injuries) when an EUC fails, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable zooming around on a hacked one. I'm sure it's my age speaking :(

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Maybe it's just me, but considering what can go wrong (bodily injuries) when an EUC fails, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable zooming around on a hacked one. I'm sure it's my age speaking :(

Haha probably I have just not had a ninebot cut out under me to know that fear. Have been thrown off my ninebot once due to a sudden bump in the road that I did not notice though. What do you typically ride and what's your average speed for a mid distance (~20km / 12mile) ride?

5 hours ago, YaocH said:

Have recently been bitten by the EUC bug and puchased a Ninebot One E+ couple of months ago. As I'm getting more confident, I am getting bored of the 20kph speed limit I'm getting from the Ninebot One E+ and was thinking if it is possible to swap the control board with this one..

I don't think a swap of motor/controller to an unknown combination is worth the (possible) gain in speed. If you would like to try a ~30kmh speed a better way to do it would be using a jtag programmer and flashing a P-model FW... Not that is safe by any means and it voids any warranties.

I think I asked the people at MicroWorks whether that 16" motor would work with their controller, but they seemed to indicate that the controllers they sold only worked on their 14" motor. The interesting thing is that the Ninebot One motor plug looks very similar to that one in the link you provided.  That's why I thought maybe it was a similar motor.  Their 18" motor looks similar to the one used in the KS18. 

The odds of the MicroWorks controller working with a Ninebot One motor are probably pretty slim without some firmware adjustments.  @electric_vehicle_lover even had issues trying to get the MW board working with a generic motor so he had to order the MW one instead.

Appreciate the desire to speed things up a little but that board doesn't look as capable as the one already in there, let alone be suitable to 'drive' faster?  I'd be fascinated to find out if it did work tho ;)

You've got to wonder why the 'P's started to 'burn up' using the same boards as the E+ versions when the software allowed the faster capabilities.  Not all - and a lot are still running today quite happily so tolerances will come into play.  Just make sure you've got plenty of protection on when trying the 'extremes' and feed back to us if it's good news :D

I would think the ninebot control board is superior it can do 25 km/h (tiltback speed) at the limit, it will most likely not faceplant you and it can handle 500w nominal power not just peak power 500w. The e+ at 500w is more powerfull than an airwheel X8 at 800w,  the reason is that the 500w is noninal power and the 800w is peak power. The  e+ control board has 12 mosfets and microworks only 6, and the 30kh/h could be an inflated speed like most things that come from China, so most likely the max speed e+ vs microworks is about the same but with the e+ control board you will be driving with more torque. The only good thing about microworks it seems to be one of the very few control boards available for sale for a reasonable price but it does not seem like a very good controler for a few reasons , under powered rated for 500w motors, not on an aluminum enclosure like IPS the aluminum enclosure not only protects the board it helps in dissipating heat, not universal depends on the motor, good ebike controllers are universal they can be programmed for different motors the only difference with a unicycle controller is the throtle vs the gyro and that for ebikes there is a huge selection of controler at all power levels. Eventually there will be universal, powerfull unycle control boards with an aluminum enclosure for sale but not currently.

I have plans to build my own unicycle in future the only reason I do not do it now is the lack of adecuate control boards available for sale.

The best control board that I have seen is the IPS and it is rated at 1000w and not easily available for sale, and it seems to have a huge retail price, 4 times the price of microworks.

39 minutes ago, checho said:

The  e+ control board has 12 mosfets and microworks only 6, and the 30kh/h could be an inflated speed like most things that come from China, so most likely the max speed e+ vs microworks is about the same but with the e+ control board you will be driving with more torque.

IMO, the 30B4 Microworks board is also great because is cheap and simple, and very easy to repair (accessible board and standard components).

The motor really runs at more than 30km/h, I validated measuring hall sensor signals with oscilloscope - see here: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki/Motor-MicroWorks-500W-30km-h 

I think MicroWorks also has a 12 MOSFET controller board, but @Lz Lee said they changed their marketing plan to only sell them in a complete wheel package if I recall correctly.  I think it was the 40A board?  I don't know if they can be programmed with tiltback though so safety could be a concern nearing the upper limits?

I'm tempted to order one of their Geekwheels with the wider tire to try out.

Yes but the problem with the 40A 12 mosfets from Microworks is that it is not available for sale as a control board it is only available as part of a complete Unicycle. For all practicall purposes that makes the board useless for most of us. They only sell the low capacity 6 Mosfet type rated at 500w. It would be a great board if they only sold it.

17 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

The problem is that no company sells high end parts for DIY. The companies just sell high end parts for repair to clients. MicroWorks is the only that sells the all low and also medium end parts for EUCs, for DIYers :-) -- /me <3 Microworks.

Fully I agree, it is a problem, that hopefully as the market increases someone steps in to sell high end hardware.

It happened with ebikes, it is a matter of time for it to happen for electric unicycles.

In the case of ebikes it is possible to buy really high end stuff currently, years ago it was not the case, but on ebikes it happened once the market grew and was no longer a tiny market, if the electric unicycle market grows it will also happen with electric unicycles.

Archived