Looking for ideas for euc speakers

Cloud

So, i am used to having music on my KS14, but will probably be buying a 16 or 18" non KS wheel with no speakers. Even if i buy KS16, the speaker volume is half that of the ks14, so not enough. Ive been trying to come up with the best, simplest way to incorporate bluetooth speakers into an EUC.

so i think i will have a usb port on the wheel, so i will be able to charge the speaker battery right on the wheel. The speaker however should be as small as possible, of course, light and not super expensive

ive bought this one (10W) but its not loud enough. Its probably 20% of the sound volume of Ks14. . For a room, very loud but once you take it outside, its quiet with all the ambient noise

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361566720440

I am now looking at this 20W speaker but suspect that it will not be loud enough either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282140019788

Maybe i should buy a bluetooth module and speakers separately and make my own? Not reallu looking to do that as it will need to be waterprrofed also.

or maybe i can somehow connect together 4 inexpensive speakers like these..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-Handsfree-Waterproof-Mic-Suction-Mini-Speaker-Shower-Car-/351680570891?var=&hash=item51e1cba60b:m:mX9mJa7sy7ppN_0BsQ8ag5w

Does anyone have ideas how to best approach this? Thanks

I posted a new link. Sorry. Wow.., mine is really loud!I use BT from my Iphone 6+. Neighbors can hear me easily riding around the parking lot. Not sure how to record an example.

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove i doubt it.  I have a similar shaped one and its very quiet.  Yes it is loud when its on your desk but outside attached to the wheel on the street becomes quiet like wisper....

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I posted a new link. Sorry. Wow.., mine is really loud!I use BT from my Iphone 6+. Neighbors can hear me easily riding around the parking lot. Not sure how to record an example.

Have you tried speakers in ks14? If yes, how does the volume compare?

Yeah old school is best. 

Cant find the wattage on the beats pill,,,which means that its not powerful enough...there has to be a cheaper way. I am sure KS speakers are only a few $$ worth...there has to be a simpker way...

I think the sound quality from those pop-up Home portable speakers likely isn't the best.  I have a small Monoprice one that works okay, but it's not loud loud.

Another choice:

https://www.amazon.com/VAVA-Bluetooth-Subwoofer-Radiators-Equalizer/dp/B016W4RK1Y

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FY8C3VG

http://www.bassheadspeakers.com/loudest-bluetooth-speakers/

Hard to get good quality, loud in a small, portable package...

Waterproof one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CHSDKCC

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove thanks!

that vava voom looks promising but its kinda huge! 10 " or so...not sure where to mount it on the wheel without being in the way.

the other one is only 7W :( 

One way to kinda gauge the power is to look at the battery size   Anying less than 4000-3000mah will not be oowerful, otherwise cannot sustain music for several hours

what if i go in this direction? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-MP3-Player-ATV-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Audio-System-Radio-Stereo-Speaker-/371670304433?hash=item568946c6b1:g:JsYAAOSwgY9XdNq~&vxp=mtr

i would need constant 12 volts then...maybe i can get output from the euc battery and step it down to 12v or something...

Without a decent weighted speaker box it's tricky to get a full bodied sound.  I doubt those little speakers will produce decent sound that you'd be happy with in the long run.  Buy cheap buy twice right?  Plus messing with feeding 12v from the EUC battery is a pain unless you install a port.  Wireless is best.

I wonder whether attaching the Vava or the waterproof speaker maybe to the top front of the wheel might work.  Maybe some Sugru and some strategically placed magnets locking onto a mounted metal plate would do the trick.  

Either those watt-numbers are pulled from thin air, or it comes down to the speaker-cone size/quality/efficiency? I have a basic Samick LA10 15W combo guitar practice amplifier (very cheap, basic amp) and I can't turn the master-volume even above halfway without it becoming way too loud for indoors...

$_35.JPG

How Do Watts Translate Into Decibels?

Watts
Decibels
Numbers are for reasonably sensitive speakers, about one meter away. Look for speakers that can handle between 85 dBs and 110 dBs. Anything more than this will destroy your hearing. For mid-price home speakers, 120 watts is about the most you  should

12566049_f1024.jpg

90-100 decibels is loud enough indoors or with headphones, but outdoors it's a different story (unless you're on a narrow street between stone walls and glass). Try opening a window while playing music loud and go out stand a couple of meters outside the window, won't be loud at all. Why not drop an email to kingsong and ask for the speaker wattage (rms) spec for the ks14, they should be able to answer easily it's a basic question!

52 minutes ago, nomad said:

... (unless you're on a narrow street between stone walls and glass)...

Maybe that's the key - with the loudspeakers going to the sides the music is for the "audience". If the rider wants to hear music they should be directed upwards!

@esaj it is possible that the wattage numbers are fudged in those portable speakers. I also have a 10w guitar speaker and it sounds loud as hell but indoors though. 110db or 105 "should" be ok for music outside in my opinion. decibel perception is not linear though, it is weird how the perceived noise level changes with the reduction in decibels sound pressure. The speaker size also comes into play, i wish the speakers were bigger in a smaller size box :) 

3 hours ago, nomad said:

90-100 decibels is loud enough indoors or with headphones, but outdoors it's a different story (unless you're on a narrow street between stone walls and glass). Try opening a window while playing music loud and go out stand a couple of meters outside the window, won't be loud at all. Why not drop an email to kingsong and ask for the speaker wattage (rms) spec for the ks14, they should be able to answer easily it's a basic question!

Yes, i am trying to find out the kingsong speaker wattage. I think It is about 5w, but they have 4 of them. I think that if i had true 4- 5w speakers, that eould be sufficient but not sure how to easily do that. I coukd buy the speakers but  either need to power it from the battery, or find a separate rechargeable battery, separate bluetooth module and wire everything. Its not the best scenario. 

2 hours ago, Chriull said:

Maybe that's the key - with the loudspeakers going to the sides the music is for the "audience". If the rider wants to hear music they should be directed upwards!

It matters but i dint think its the key. With kingsong i can hear the music just as loud even though thr soeakers are directed outward. Of course there is refflection off of the walls but even in the ooen field its loud enough

56 minutes ago, Cloud said:

110db or 105 "should" be ok for music outside in my opinion. decibel perception is not linear though, it is weird how the perceived noise level changes with the reduction in decibels sound pressure.

Decibels are not linear, but logarithmic units. 100dB is 2 times louder than 90dB (the "loudness" doubles every 10dB).

1336934963.jpg

Something like >140dB is enough to tear your eardrums apart... :P

hearing-damage-chart.png

Here is my V5F+ with the Harmon Karmon Mini Esquire attached to the shell with Velcro. I like the sound. A bit of background sound with all of the ambient noise from the wheel and nearby expressway. Sorry for the 3 video clips as my editing software sucks when combining video clips:wacko:

Thank you @Rehab1. Looks very nice and sounds nice too

it is very hard to gauge the volume in a recording.   Your camera microphone is close to the wheel too, so i possible to extrapolate how the sound will propagate out and what you are hearing as well as the pedestrians. I think that i will pull the trigger on a $50 20W bluetooth speaker and see how that works. If not, will have to keep looking for the best option...

@CloudYes, the camera was picking up some surrounding noise including the wheel. The best footage of the actual  sound was when the wheel was static. Good luck! Please post a video when you finish!  

Archived