I'm in preliminary talks with a couple manufacturers about the possibility of setting specific parameters around terms such as 'speed', 'range', 'power', etc. How do these sound? Are there any more I'm missing, do these definitions seem reasonable & fair?

• Cruising Speed: the maximum manufacturer design speed on a level smooth course with a 70kg rider without audible warnings. This should be the average speed from 100%-33% battery capacity.
  • Max Sustained Speed: unlike the cruising speed, this is where the Wheel may be 'safely' ridden with minimal risk of power cut-outs, but beyond the [initial] audible alarm
  • Max Speed: the maximum speed where there is still some margin (i.e. 3kph) before the power cuts-out (same criteria as above). Unlike the cruising speed, it can be 'peak' figure with fully-charged battery pack. For Wheels with pedal-tilt-back beyond 15°, Max Speed does not apply.
  • Braking Distance: distance for a 70kg rider to come to a complete stop from 16kph (a speed at which most Wheels should be able to reach)
  • Range: continuous riding on a level & smooth course with a 70kg rider, until the EU generates the 'get off now alarm'. The manufacturer may choose at which speed to conduct this test, but must declare it on the results.
  • Sustained Power: the continuous mechanical motor output rating that does not risk damage to the battery-pack, control-board or motor.
  • Peak power: mechanical motor output for a period not exceeding 10 seconds. The battery-pack, control-board & motor may experience some transient 'stress' but should not sustain any irreversible damage or degradation.
  • Wh Rating: the usable Wh by the EU, defined as the energy available from a fully-charged cell down to the cut-off threshold set by the BMS/control-board.
  • Max incline: in ° degrees, to support a 70kg rider up an incline of 10m height (at a minimum).
  • Charging time: the time required to fully charge the battery from a completely depleted state.

Reasonable and fair yes but likely hood of getting manufacturers agreement is next to zero I would think.

The only way you'll get figures you can trust is to do the testing yourself and compile the list.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Peak Power. I would believe you need to associate a minimal delivery time to peak power (not a maximal time): the peak power is the maximal mechanical motor power that is, if needed, supplied by the wheel for at least, say, 0.5 seconds. Maybe it is even useful to define peak power for two different time spans, say 0.5 and 5 seconds. The short time seems relevant to me, as it is instrumental to get out of potholes / over small barriers etc.

Great list of parameters, may not be complete but a great start.  And yes i agree with gimlet - this will be next to impossible to get manufacturers to agree.  And even if you get them to agree, it wont be all of them, and even if its all of them, they will still inflate these numbers...

Info from other type of engines.

Not so directly relevant to EUCs, but there's a point here.... there's a difference between high torque and high speed engines/motors (the common word "moottori" for "engine" and "motor" is the same in Finnish, combustion engines in cars also usually have some sort of transmission, unlike direct-drive hub brushless DC motors used in EUCs, outside of things like geared Rockwheels), although there IS a peak power a brushless DC motor can  provide, which occurs long before peak RPM "no load power", which can't actually be reached with anything fixed to the axle, but it's more theoretical concept anyway)... I'll try to get around the produce a poll/topic about EUC common terms sooner or later. Don't know if now is the best time for such, as I've been "partying" a bit tonight  ;)  And am having trouble to keep my writing coherent and typos in check  :D

It's funny, that in efficiency curves I've seen for hub motors, the peak power is right before the point at which the max RPM is attained, then everything drops away pretty precipitously. Check out the eBike simulator on ebikes.ca.  

ebikesimage.jpg

Archived