Gotway MCM4 ordinary or high speed version

Where can I buy a MCM4 here in Europe? It is also for sale on Aliexpress, do you think it could be affordable? I'm 67Kg, which model should I go for, ordinary or high speed version? Any suggestion is wellcome. Thanks.

I agree. the HS versions will suit you. 

If you were much heavier, or you would do extreme off roading, I would say MS or even high torque. With your weight, you will not max out power easily.

No, the available torque of the HS winding is lower. When you go steeper and steeper, you need more and more torque. Thus the HS will do less steep inclines.

At the same time, when you go faster and faster (flat) you do not need the torque, but it is still available in the high torque model. The HS model will eventually be able to go faster. 

Your questions made me wonder if this makes one model more energy efiicient than the other. I cannot figure that out. Is there someone that knows the answer to that?

20 minutes ago, Frankman said:

@SlowMo, @johrhoj  but do you know what is the real difference between the two models? Two different motors? Perhaps one is geared? Different main board settings?

Absolutely not geared. There are some quite active members of the Gotway team on this forum so they may well be able to give you the definitive answer.

However, it is possible to wind the same physical motor in different ways, you can either have a relatively large number of turns of thinner wire or a smaller number of turns of thicker wire (in practice it is usual to still use a thinner wire but with multiple strands in parallel.) The three phases can also be connected together in a Delta configuration or "Y" (or star) configuration: http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2014/09/comparison-between-star-and-delta-connections.html. Delta will create a faster (higher maximum RPM) motor, less turns will create a higher maximum RPM motor (higher kV) and its thicker wire will allow higher current. However  more turns gives much more torque. 

Think of it a bit like gears, lower turns is like top gear, higher turns is like first gear. 

14 minutes ago, Frankman said:

@johrhoj, so at low speed, both models can climb same incline, even if it's hard?

No, depending upon rider weight and incline, the Gotway motors are very powerful so may be more than adequate but the high speed version will have less torque than ow speed version so less ability to handle very steep inclines and will run hotter when doing so.

If you decide for MCM4 from china pay Attention that you do NOT get Version 1!

The pedals are lower on the ground and some more not so nice things! So better go for MCM4 HS which is always Version 2 with higher pedals and more room for the wheel in the case.....

here in Europe it is even hard to get a "Not HS" Version...as the old VS1 are almost sold out....

here:

http://www.eroue.fr/categorie-produit/monocycles-electriques/gotway/

or here:

http://www.electro-sport.de/epages/78292882.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78292882/Products/"Gotway MCM4"

4 minutes ago, johrhoj said:

Your questions made me wonder if this makes one model more energy efiicient than the other. I cannot figure that out. Is there someone that knows the answer to that?

Brushless motors have greatest efficiency at around 80% of no load speed (I.e. If the kV is 100 and the applied voltage is 50V then theoretical no load speed is 100x50 = 5000RPM so best efficiency will be when the motor at full power is loaded down to 80% which equals 4000RPM. If a higher torque version is (say) 75kV then best efficiency will come at (75x50V)x80% = 3000RPM.

Also the higher kV motor has less back EMF and thicker wire so more current will flow at lower speeds than the lower kV motor.

Given that air resistance friction, etc increases with the square of the speed. The high torque, lower kV motor will be more efficient when operating at its slower optimum speed than he higher kV motor. But the high speed one will reach a higher speed safely and will be more efficient at higher speeds.

10 minutes ago, Jane Mo said:

we have dealer in Italy now.:Pwww.gotway.it

On this Website you can buy very nice solowheels  :-)

No mention on gotways at all......

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

On this Website you can buy very nice solowheels  :-)

No mention on gotways at all......

version 1 has already stopped produce,all mcm4 now are the latest version.

for the website, they are also our dealer, and they are from italy.

52 minutes ago, Keith said:

Given that air resistance friction, etc increases with the square of the speed. The high torque, lower kV motor will be more efficient when operating at its slower optimum speed than he higher kV motor. But the high speed one will reach a higher speed safely and will be more efficient at higher speeds.

I conclude from this, that when you do not intend to do high speeds, you better get the high torque version. This would be more energy-efficient. 

What about the safety margin? I would guess that the reserve-torque you have gives you the same safety margin as the speed-reserve on the HS version. 

13 minutes ago, Frankman said:

@Jane Mo, is there any way to distinguish one model from another (ordinary version from high speed version) apart of what the seller declares?

you can see from the motor serial number. for example, the photo is mid speed for msuper.IMG_3350.JPG

In my opinion, it is only for the MSuper that exist 3 models (HS, MS & HT); but for the MCM4, only one model exists, if we omit the (pre-)version with the bad pedals and case, even if some stocks of it remain here or there.

On 2016/6/15 at 3:21 AM, sbouju said:

In my opinion, it is only for the MSuper that exist 3 models (HS, MS & HT); but for the MCM4, only one model exists, if we omit the (pre-)version with the bad pedals and case, even if some stocks of it remain here or there.

MCM 4 has HS and HT,2 versions

@Jane Mo, I contacted www.gotway.it, they said that are testing your unicycles for now, but not even sell. They invited me to test your unicycles, so in the next few days I'll meet them for a test drive. I'll let you know my opinions and impressions.

25 minutes ago, Frankman said:

@Jane Mo, I contacted www.gotway.it, they said that are testing your unicycles for now, but not even sell. They invited me to test your unicycles, so in the next few days I'll meet them for a test drive. I'll let you know my opinions and impressions.

thank you and enjoy your riding.

• 2 months later...

Archived