LEGALITY CROWDSOURCING

vladmarks

Israel (neutral) There is no law or regulations regarding hoverboards and EUC's. Only electric bicycles and scooters which are allowed for ages 16 and up , riding is not permitted on pavements, only roads or designated bicycle lanes, 25kmh speed limit, need to have head/tail lights ect..

There is a ninebot distributor here so you can only buy this brand for now.

http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-under-16s-to-be-banned-from-riding-electric-bikes-1001109054

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In czech republic you can add that while on sidewalk one can only go at walking speed and we are also allowed to use bicycle lanes where the speed should not be more than normal biking speed. Cities can ban all self balancing vehicles as they want using traffic signs and Prague is currently developing plan to ban some areas - mainly the historic centre

image095.png official traffic sign for all selfbalancing vehicles

http://www.sbirka.cz/POSL4TYD/NOVE/16-048.htm - this is the law that concerns us in czech language

edit: also if there is no sidewalk or it is not possible to ride on it you are allowed to stay on the left side of the street - same as pedestrians

Edited by andress
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, roy said:

Israel (neutral) There is no law or regulations regarding hoverboards and EUC's. Only electric bicycles and scooters which are allowed for ages 16 and up , riding is not permitted on pavements, only roads or designated bicycle lanes, 25kmh speed limit, need to have head/tail lights ect..

There is a ninebot distributor here so you can only buy this brand for now.

http://www.globes.co.il/en/article-under-16s-to-be-banned-from-riding-electric-bikes-1001109054

Thank you Roy, all updated now. Please keep us up with any news and regulations over the summer.

11 hours ago, andress said:

In czech republic you can add that while on sidewalk one can only go at walking speed and we are also allowed to use bicycle lanes where the speed should not be more than normal biking speed. Cities can ban all self balancing vehicles as they want using traffic signs and Prague is currently developing plan to ban some areas - mainly the historic centre

image095.png official traffic sign for all selfbalancing vehicles

http://www.sbirka.cz/POSL4TYD/NOVE/16-048.htm - this is the law that concerns us in czech language

edit: also if there is no sidewalk or it is not possible to ride on it you are allowed to stay on the left side of the street - same as pedestrians

Thank you Andress! Sounds like they treat it with a great caution. Love the sign though! 

Have you guys got many Segway tours services in Prague nowadays? 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, vladmarks said:

Switzerland (positive) Electric unicycles are included in the latest statement, the riders are obliged to obtain a number plate and an insurance; it is legal to ride on the bicycle routes in case these documents can be provided by a rider. https://www.news.admin.ch/message/index.html?lang=de&msg-id=56870

while the law itself seems positive, the problem still existst that no EUC provides the necessary type approval to get a license plate. And riding without license plate on public bike roads ends with a fine for riding an uninsured vehicle without a license. That costs up to 400 CHF.

So in the real world its not positive for EUCs since this way they are basically banned from riding in public, only Segways so far have the type approval to receive a license and can get insurance.

• Upvote 1

The Netherlands (neutral)

In The Netherlands a one wheeled object is not a vehicle, which means that no insurance or plate or something like that is needed. Your status is as if you are a pedestrian.

You may go on sidewalks and bycicle paths. When that is not possible you may go at the extreme side of the road. This of course only when pedestrians are allowed.

Local police may issue ruling for EUCs, but to my knowledge, no such rulings exist yet. Many a policeman has seen me going, and never have they pulled me over. I know of one fine for a EUcyclist in The Netherlands, but I think it was unfounded.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jag_Rip said:

while the law itself seems positive, the problem still existst that no EUC provides the necessary type approval to get a license plate. And riding without license plate on public bike roads ends with a fine for riding an uninsured vehicle without a license. That costs up to 400 CHF.

So in the real world its not positive for EUCs since this way they are basically banned from riding in public, only Segways so far have the type approval to receive a license and can get insurance.

That's a fair point to make. Have you had any issues with local authorities because of that? 

2 hours ago, johrhoj said:

The Netherlands (neutral)

In The Netherlands a one wheeled object is not a vehicle, which means that no insurance or plate or something like that is needed. Your status is as if you are a pedestrian.

You may go on sidewalks and bycicle paths. When that is not possible you may go at the extreme side of the road. This of course only when pedestrians are allowed.

Local police may issue ruling for EUCs, but to my knowledge, no such rulings exist yet. Many a policeman has seen me going, and never have they pulled me over. I know of one fine for a EUcyclist in The Netherlands, but I think it was unfounded.

Thanks for the addition. Do you have any docs or statements that we can put in? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, vladmarks said:

That's a fair point to make. Have you had any issues with local authorities because of that? 

Police in Switzerland usually has not many heavy criminals to chase, so somehow they manage to have time to check anything out of the ordinary. Yes I have been stopped twice but could talk myself out of the situation both times. The third time the police Smart car followed me for quite a while, probably to find out if my 9B1 E+ really doesnt go faster than 20kph. But now several publications in newspapers have stated that police is stopping and fining people on unicycles so I am not commuting with my EUC anymore. It collects dust now. <_<

Its in german, but some sauce from an automotive club publication:
www.ocn.ch/ocn/files/pdf82/160129_TCS_Segway__Co.pdf

Edited by Jag_Rip
  • Upvote 1

The documents would be in Dutch. The problem is that there are NO rules around EUC's. When no specific rules apply, then general rules are used. In the Dutch classification of Vehicles, all vehicles have 2 or more wheels. So it is not a vehicle. Next in line is the "propulsion-apparatus". These are either muscle powered, or, again, have two or more wheels.

This leaves the EUC with no status at all, but it is NOT forbidden. 

As long as the EUC-user is behaving responsibly and not endangering anyone (including oneself), the police should not have any reason to stop and/or fine you.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jag_Rip said:

Police in Switzerland usually has not many heavy criminals to chase, so somehow they manage to have time to check anything out of the ordinary. Yes I have been stopped twice but could talk myself out of the situation both times. The third time the police Smart car followed me for quite a while, probably to find out if my 9B1 E+ really doesnt go faster than 20kph. But now several publications in newspapers have stated that police is stopping and fining people on unicycles so I am not commuting with my EUC anymore. It collects dust now. <_<

It's good to know, I do hope the situation gets better. I think it's easier for the govt to take steps now than it was before.

Keep us updated, please!

5 minutes ago, johrhoj said:

The documents would be in Dutch.

As long as the EUC-user is behaving responsibly and not endangering anyone (including oneself), the police should not have any reason to stop and/or fine you.

You can send it here anyway, the best scenario is a person would be able to read the related documents about his/her country in their language. 

Edited by vladmarks
  • Upvote 3

On 5/19/2016 at 0:05 PM, vladmarks said:

US (NYC - negative, California - positive) Hoverboards are banned from the usage on the sidewalks and roads of New York City, however in the state of California they are allowed on the cycling lanes, a rider needs to wear a helmet and not exceed 35mph. (If anyone feels like elaborating on the legal situation in other states of the US, we will be able to create a separate map for this)

Yes, California is more environmentally conscious so they passed a new law to allow people to ride single person electric vehicles without requiring registration. The max speed is limited to 20 mph though, not 35.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

SECTION 1.

Section 313.5 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

An “electrically motorized board” is any wheeled device that has a floorboard designed to be stood upon when riding that is not greater than 60 inches deep and 18 inches wide, is designed to transport only one person, and has an electric propulsion system averaging less than 1,000 watts, the maximum speed of which, when powered solely by a propulsion system on a paved level surface, is no more than 20 miles per hour. The device may be designed to also be powered by human propulsion.

Source: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160AB604 

Edited by logos122
  • Upvote 3

Just to update your (already correct) information about Norway:

EUCs are allowed to be used on pavements (at variable speed, walking speed if there are other people around) and pedestrianized streets (moving at a walking pace only). Also allowed on usual roads (speed limit of up to 60 km/h) even though EUCs cannot go faster than 20km/h there...

Front and back lights (+bike bell) requirement. Helmet use is not mandatory though. No insurance or registration needed. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2016 at 4:57 PM, lizardmech said:

Australia is incorrect, it varies between states. I think QLD allows them. Victoria apparently doesn't have any laws for an object with one wheel so they are some sort of unidentified rolling object.

Hey, thank you for the update! My previous note was based on the tons of news articles about banning hoverboards and their import. Which state do you live in? Any trouble with EUCS there?

On 5/21/2016 at 11:50 PM, Vik's said:

Just to update your (already correct) information about Norway:

EUCs are allowed to be used on pavements (at variable speed, walking speed if there are other people around) and pedestrianized streets (moving at a walking pace only). Also allowed on usual roads (speed limit of up to 60 km/h) even though EUCs cannot go faster than 20km/h there...

Front and back lights (+bike bell) requirement. Helmet use is not mandatory though. No insurance or registration needed. 

Thank you, perfect. Any docs we could refer to? 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Vik's said:

On 5/20/2016 at 5:14 PM, logos122 said:

Yes, California is more environmentally conscious so they passed a new law to allow people to ride single person electric vehicles without requiring registration. The max speed is limited to 20 mph though, not 35.

On 5/20/2016 at 4:04 PM, johrhoj said:

On 5/20/2016 at 2:37 PM, Jag_Rip said:

Its in german, but some sauce from an automotive club publication:
www.ocn.ch/ocn/files/pdf82/160129_TCS_Segway__Co.pdf

On 5/19/2016 at 10:19 PM, Jeffrey Scott Will said:

For the US, you're missing Washington State (solowheel's home state) which has a law specifically mentioning EUCs. They're allowed on sidewalks and residential streets. No insurance or registration reunited. 

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/1884.SL.pdf

Updated to the most recent version, thanks guys! If you have any friends in the countries listed, could you ask them to share the legal status, too?

• Upvote 2

The next section is some Dutch legislation. I copied sections from this online source: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0004825/2014-03-20

Reglement verkeersregels en verkeerstekens 1990 (RVV 1990)

Geldend van 20-03-2014 t/m heden

definities:

• bestuurder van een motorvoertuig:

• 1.hij die het motorvoertuig bestuurt of

• 2.voor zover het betreft een motorvoertuig voor het besturen waarvan een rijbewijs AM, B, C, D of E, is vereist en dat is voorzien van een dubbele bediening, hij die rijonderricht geeft of toezicht houdt in het kader van een vanwege de overheid ingesteld onderzoek naar de rijvaardigheid, niet zijnde een onderzoek als bedoeld in artikel 131, eerste lid, van de wet;

• bestuurders: alle weggebruikers behalve voetgangers;
    voertuigen: fietsen, bromfietsen, gehandicaptenvoertuigen, motorvoertuigen, trams en wagens;

• weggebruikers: voetgangers, fietsers, bromfietsers, bestuurders van een gehandicaptenvoertuig, van een motorvoertuig of van een tram, ruiters, geleiders van rij- of trekdieren of vee en bestuurders van een bespannen of onbespannen wagen;

• From the definitions above, it follows that the EUCyclist is not a driver, and therefore a pedestrian. Combine this with the next section from the same lawtext, and we know where the EUCyclist is allowed to go. Especially article 4-4 seems applicable to the EUC.

• Artikel 4 (plaats op de weg)

• 1Voetgangers gebruiken het trottoir of het voetpad.

• 2Zij gebruiken het fietspad of het fiets/bromfietspad indien trottoir en voetpad ontbreken.

• 3Zij gebruiken de berm of de uiterste zijde van de rijbaan, indien ook een fietspad of een fiets/bromfietspad ontbreekt.

• 4In afwijking van het eerste en het tweede lid gebruiken personen die zich verplaatsen met behulp van voorwerpen, niet zijnde voertuigen, het fietspad, het fiets/bromfietspad, het trottoir of het voetpad. Zij gebruiken de rijbaan indien een fietspad, een fiets/bromfietspad, een trottoir of een voetpad ontbreekt.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

"The popular toys are powered by an electric motor fed by lithium batteries, allowing riders to control the gadgets at speeds of more than 15km/h. On a two-hour charge, hoverboards can run for up to four hours on average. "

That's just malarkey. I haven't seen a single hoverboard that exceeds 15kph speed or runs for more than 1h straight.

The reason I haven't yet included UAE is cause all the news I could find were in English and didn't give a comprehensive link. Another thing that confused me was there are still definitive rules to what should be worn while riding a hoverboard, yet they're banned?

• Upvote 1

Just now, vladmarks said:

"The popular toys are powered by an electric motor fed by lithium batteries, allowing riders to control the gadgets at speeds of more than 15km/h. On a two-hour charge, hoverboards can run for up to four hours on average. "

That's just malarkey. I haven't seen a single hoverboard that exceeds 15kph speed or runs for more than 1h straight.

The reason I haven't yet included UAE is cause all the news I could find were in English and didn't give a comprehensive link. Another thing that confused me was there are still definitive rules to what should be worn while riding a hoverboard, yet they're banned?

You mean this?

“The rules state that hoverboards should only be used in designated areas, which means that they are allowed on cycling tracks in parks and anywhere else that allow skateboards or bicycles,”  and "... to protect the public’s safety, hoverboard users are now required to wear protective gear, such as helmets, gloves, elbows and knee pads. Children are also required to be under adult supervision." 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johrhoj said:

The next section is some Dutch legislation. I copied sections from this online source: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0004825/2014-03-20

• From the definitions above, it follows that the EUCyclist is not a driver, and therefore a pedestrian. Combine this with the next section from the same lawtext, and we know where the EUCyclist is allowed to go. Especially article 4-4 seems applicable to the EUC.

That's comprehensive enough, thank you for the full explanation. Updated the description. 

California in general positive.

California San Ysidro border crossing USA side, negative banned by federal agents, had been force to dismount and had carry the unicycle, in the case of a Q3 it is possible to avoid hand carrying it since it has 2 wheels it is possible to roll it without rider and pick it up 10 meters ahead and roll it again, I find that to be more dangerous than riding it. However rolling it without rider seems to be ok by federal agents and legal, you just can not ride it. Rolling it uphill it is a lot better than hand carrying it uphill.

Mexico San ysidro border positive, the ban is only on the USA border side of California, no ban in the Mexican side of the border.

Mexico positive, not sure about the law but it seems to be ok acording to a few cops I spoke, no problems, however be prepare for a 16 or 18 wheel, sidewalks and streets are in very bad shape, you must use sidewalks, no such thing as bike lanes, and in the streets it is the law of the jungle, better to use sidewalks.

I live in the Washington DC metro area, collectively known as the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia). I have information on Virginia (positive) and DC (positive), but not Maryland

--

Virginia

§ 46.2-908.1. Electric personal assistive mobility devices, electrically powered toy vehicles, and electric power-assisted bicycles.

All electric personal assistive mobility devices, electrically powered toy vehicles, and electric power-assisted bicycles shall be equipped with spill-proof, sealed, or gelled electrolyte batteries. No person shall at any time or at any location drive an electric personal assistive mobility device, or an electric power-assisted bicycle faster than twenty-five miles per hour. No person less than fourteen years old shall drive any electric personal assistive mobility device, motorized skateboard or foot-scooter, or electric power-assisted bicycle unless under the immediate supervision of a person who is at least eighteen years old.

An electric personal assistive mobility device or motorized skateboard or foot-scooter may be operated on any highway with a maximum speed limit of twenty-five miles per hour or less. An electric personal assistive mobility device shall only operate on any highway authorized by this section if a sidewalk is not provided along such highway or if operation of the electric personal assistive mobility device on such sidewalk is prohibited pursuant to § 46.2-904. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the operation of an electric personal assistive mobility device or motorized skateboard or foot-scooter in the crosswalk of any highway where the use of such crosswalk is authorized for pedestrians, bicycles, or electric power-assisted bicycles.

Operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices, electrically powered toy vehicles, bicycles and electric power-assisted bicycles is prohibited on any Interstate Highway System component except as provided by the section.

The Commonwealth Transportation Board may authorize the use of bicycles on an Interstate Highway System Component provided the operation is limited to bicycle or pedestrian facilities that are barrier separated from the roadway and automobile traffic and such component meets all applicable safety requirements established by federal and state law.

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter8/section46.2-908.1/

--

DC

Personal Mobility Devices (PMD) - Personal Mobility Device (“PMD”) means a motorized propulsion device designed to transport one person, or a self-balancing, two non-tandem wheeled device, designed to transport only one person with an electric propulsion system. [17]

Inspection Required; License Required; Insurance Required; Registration By DMV Required - No. By definition, PMDs are not considered motor vehicles. [1] Cannot be driven by anyone under the age of 16. [18]

Helmet Required - No

Permitted on Sidewalk - Yes, except PMDs are generally not permitted on sidewalk space in the Central Business District. [19]

Permitted on Bike Lanes - Yes

http://ddot.dc.gov/sites/default/files/dc/sites/dmv/publication/attachments/May%2017%202013%20Non-traditional%20Motor%20Vehicle%20chart.pdf

@vladmarks

you can add Thailand on You List:

the Land of The free :-)

completly allowed As i understood The FB group "Kingsong Thailand"

.....and i also Drive with them 30 km through Bangkok and at least saw/Meet more than 20 Cops which just said nothing ....We were going by them on The streets no probs