King Song 16 APP speed = 100% accurate [proof here]

edwin_rm

The following is proof that King Song App speed is equal to GPS speed. I have a screenshot taken at the time I was riding at 30 kph GPS, meaning I was in motion. I was also able to reach up to 35 kph GPS speed (by pushing on after the 30 kph tiltback). I did this at great risk, don't push on the tiltback! I took the 35kph screenshot when I stopped riding, as taking it during the ride would be too risky.

I weight ~65 kg, and my tire pressure was 55 psi. Battery at time of this test was ~60%. Firmware 1.18

KS-16 GPS speed.jpg

You can replicate the results yourself by following these steps:
1) Download the Ulysse Speedometer android app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.binarytoys.speedometer&hl=en
2) Change the settings! You have to enable "Process Slow Speed" to ensure accuracy of GPS. (See screenshot)
3) Change other settings you please, such as speed to kilometers or miles, etc.
4) Wear a helmet!

Ulysses Settings.jpg

Cool! I will check it out soon. I tried to measure the actual speed with a bike speedometer but when i attached it to the wheel it wouldnt work right. Ordered another one. But i will definitely check it thru the app speed also. Thanks

19 hours ago, Cloud said:

Cool! I will check it out soon. I tried to measure the actual speed with a bike speedometer but when i attached it to the wheel it wouldnt work right. Ordered another one. But i will definitely check it thru the app speed also. Thanks

For gps, it is critical to enable the "process slow speed" in the Ulysse app (which increases accuracy significantly). The best app available for this on android. The others are more suited for automobiles.

• 1 month later...

@edwin_rm, I can't confirm this result. Neither speed nor some other values of the KS16 app are correctly shown, provided my GPS app works correctly. A member of the french forum (with another GPS app) has also confirmed a difference for about 20% concerning the CurrentMileage.

Annotation. The average speed in this case is so low because of two stops without switching off the wheel. 

Firmware 1.20

image.pngimage.png

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

@edwin_rm 35kmh with 60% batterie? 5 over tiltback?

wow! you have guts and trust ;-) But the right weight to try things like that :-)

It's Pretty common and easy to do repeatedly. Here's another screenshot that I took back then:

KS-16 App - Max Speed.jpg

@SeabirdHH You have to use the Android application I posted (Ulysse), and with the instructions for the settings that I specified, to enable high precision. The other GPS apps are inaccurate, including the one you used. ;)  King Song max speed has also been tested with speed guns.

2907d26.jpg

For my KS16 (still on v1.19 FW as shipped) I seems to have pretty exact speed reading - tested repeatedly at various speed measure (radar) signs around the city at speeds between  25 and 27 Km/h. However the odometer (total distance driven) is adding 25% to each ride. 40 Km ride (measured by accurate tracking app) adds 50 KM to odo, 50 Km trip adds 63 Km to odo and so on. Looks like a calculation bug / using wrong diameter of the wheel ... Anyone can confirm the same issue with v1.20 FW?

50 minutes ago, SeabirdHH said:

Same issue in FW 1.20. About +20% in "CurrentMileage" compared to GPS apps. In 'TotalMileage" as well!

Ok - thank for confirming - Indeed it does "miscalculate" both current and total distance driven on mine as well. I don't care that much of current one but total is messed up now for good :(

10 minutes ago, SeabirdHH said:

It's actually about (+)24-25% difference - not "20%" as mentioned in that post and here above. It should be counted from correct distance up (not the other way around from incorrect down) ;) This needs to be addressed by King Song promptly and also give us option to reset / change the total mileage with new FW upgrade.

12 hours ago, SeabirdHH said:

OK! I can't use Android apps ... got only Apple devices. And what's about the "Current Mileage"? 

I have not tested the travel distance accuracy of my odometer. I'll have to check that.

33 minutes ago, xoltri said:

Yeah, I noticed it on my commute today too, the 24% difference is about right on the odometer vs Strava that I use for cycling.

Uh Oh, it sounds like those fitness apps are trying to make you feel 25% better.  Now I don't trust Strava or endemodo:(

11 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Uh Oh, it sounds like those fitness apps are trying to make you feel 25% better.  Now I don't trust Strava or endemodo:(

I think he meant that the King Song is showing 24% more than the Strava..?

10 hours ago, esaj said:

I think he meant that the King Song is showing 24% more than the Strava..?

Correct - and it's GPS based so no way to blame app - it's definitely bug in the KS FW :(

Comparing the two values, we should consider that there must/can be a difference (+) on the "Currentmileage" of the KS app. The odometer of the wheel adds the distance of every little curve or slalom. The GPS won't recognize those (small) deviations from the "straight line".

If that can make up to 25% ... I don' know.

Archived