NB P ....Mechanical failure...

Paulandjacquelyn

Well looks like my original P has met its demise.   Was going rather slow on a smooth surface street.   All of a sudden it felt like I was applying brakes but I did not.  I stumbled off but was able to stay on feet.    The wheel will not roll smoothly and it won't turn back on.  I've reset by unplugging battery but it will just beep and then nothing.

RIP.  Bought from Ninebot US so sent warranty return request.    If I was going faster could have been seriously injured.   Thinking this us why P pulled from market.

Sounds like the typical motherboard failure. I believe they will send you a new motherboard you can install yourself. Unless you have a repair center local. 

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Sounds like the typical motherboard failure. I believe they will send you a new motherboard you can install yourself. Unless you have a repair center local. 

Good luck!

Not so sure I'm good with that.  A less than 6 month life expectancy for what I think we know is MB inadequate specs for the P is not appropriate.    I've been worried about riding since it was pulled from shelf almost expecting something like this to happen.   Luckily I was just cruising slower speed. I was only riding for about 3 minutes in nice weather when shut down occurred.

I think NB is avoiding a necessary recall of the P but I'll hold opinion until resolve options.  

I'll keep all updated.  Maybe if the mb would be an upgraded version...

5 hours ago, OneWheel said:

I would get a refund instead of replacement. Go for Gotway or Kingsong for your next wheel.

I really liked my p but it us clear they had issues.    If a new beefed up MB is released great, but I won't accept same since an additional 6 months if use would put me past warranty.....

4 hours ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

I really liked my p but it us clear they had issues.    If a new beefed up MB is released great, but I won't accept same since an additional 6 months if use would put me past warranty.....

It seems they are ready to release the improved versions of the P model so maybe you may also get the improved motherboard.

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it might be worth a try - I had a similar problem when I first got my 9Bot one e+ and this 'Reset' worked.

Check out this youtube short - it's titled 'How to Reset the Bluetooth Pairing Code' but it also solves a lot of other problems.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Nuo Meng said:

I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but it might be worth a try - I had a similar problem when I first got my 9Bot one e+ and this 'Reset' worked.

Check out this youtube short - it's titled 'How to Reset the Bluetooth Pairing Code' but it also solves a lot of other problems.

Good luck!

Unfortunately will not help.  I get zero movement at wheel.  It clicks when I push power button but then nothing.  The wheel does not roll as it should with power off or on.   It was definitely a mechanical failure as I was just on it for a few minutes when it occurred.   Felt like brakes hit but I did not brake.  

10 minutes ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Unfortunately will not help.  I get zero movement at wheel.  It clicks when I push power button but then nothing.  The wheel does not roll as it should with power off or on.   It was definitely a mechanical failure as I was just on it for a few minutes when it occurred.   Felt like brakes hit but I did not brake.  

The wheel resists turning? Does it do that if you detach the motor cables? If it doesn't, it's not mechanical, your mosfets on the mainboard are burned (ie. the motor is constantly braking, powered or not).

On 5/15/2016 at 11:26 AM, SuperSport said:

Good luck!

Since Segway dealers now sell and service Ninebot, I'm pretty sure there is one near that could fix that under warranty.  The Segway dealer I bought my Ninebot One E+ works on Segways and hoverboards, it seems it would not be a problem as long as you have proof of purchase it's worth a try.

On 5/15/2016 at 10:53 AM, Paulandjacquelyn said:

Well looks like my original P has met its demise.   Was going rather slow on a smooth surface street.   All of a sudden it felt like I was applying brakes but I did not.  I stumbled off but was able to stay on feet.    The wheel will not roll smoothly and it won't turn back on.  I've reset by unplugging battery but it will just beep and then nothing.

RIP.  Bought from Ninebot US so sent warranty return request.    If I was going faster could have been seriously injured.   Thinking this us why P pulled from market.

Try a Segway dealer they are in a lot of large metropolitan areas.  They will honor Ninebot warranty I am pretty sure.  I think they have to now since Ninebot owns them.  It might be less expensive shipping if you are near one.  Google, call and find out.

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

Since Segway dealers now sell and service Ninebot, I'm pretty sure there is one near that could fix that under warranty.  The Segway dealer I bought my Ninebot One E+ works on Segways and hoverboards, it seems it would not be a problem as long as you have proof of purchase it's worth a try.

I will not settle for repair of same parts.  The p was pulled for a reason and its most likely because of this issue.     An upgraded mb would be great or credit back

I read that the P is being released again so they must have solved issues.  That would likely mean that any warranty work they would use new MB but you could always ask the dealer.  Hopefully you would automatically be upgraded.

So let me get this straight.

You have had this thing 6 months, fully aware there were potential issues.  Now that it HAS broken you demand your money back or an improved product.

While I agree, if there is an updated MB you should get that one, but if the new one is not ready you will have to deal with that.  If you wanted your money back you should have gotten it immediately.  Not 6 months later.  It doesn't work like that.  

"I enjoyed this for 6 months, but now it's broken so give me my money back"

HA!

11 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

The only thing the are obligated to do is to keep it functioning while under warranty - which a replacement MB does. 

It's totally unreasonable to expect a refund 6 months later. Especially when you knew from the beginning. 

I agree, and even if they send the old style board, it might last a lot longer.  You might get a good one.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

I agree, and even if they send the old style board, it might last a lot longer.  You might get a good one.

I don't think it's a question of "getting a good one". If the board was not properly designed to handle the higher power P motor, it's a design flaw. It's not like other products where it's an annoyance when they don't work, here you are trusting your safety to this thing. Lasting longer before it blows up isn't good enough, you can be Seriously hurt when it cuts out. That's why if it is indeed a design flaw, Ninebot really should do a recall if they want to be taken seriously.

Again. Nobody but Ninebot knows what the issue was for sure. You can speculate all you want, but you don't know. 

I'm sure the last thing they want is to continue to replace faulty boards and risk injuries. 

At this point in the game you are entitled to only what they decide to give you  

When you are in charge of ninebot, only then will you be able to dictate what the company MUST do.

You chose to keep it, they will choose how to continue supporting it. 

Until then, and with ALL things, font operate it beyond what you feel is safe. If you are not comfortable falling off at 18mph, then YOU SHOULD NOT RIDE 18MPH. Especially without protective gear. 

Lol......tough talk from a company lawyer?     This is not China and as a consumer we are protected against potentially dangerous products.   It "does work like that".    Lol

Ninebot pulled the P most definitely due to faulty design.     I will excersise my right to safety, not your forum lawyer litigation lol.

Peace, love  and all that. ;)

Wtf are you talking about. 

Your right to safety is not a right to get your money back. Especially not 6 months later. 

You said it yourself 

" I've been worried about riding since it was pulled from shelf almost expecting something like this to happen."

You know the risks. But go on living in your fantasy land where everything works exactly how you want. 

Also, if you trust your safety to this thing you are a total imbecile. Never trust your safety to a machine. Only you are in charge of your safety. 

Always wear safety protections and ride safely. 

What about a self balancing electric unicycle seems safe to you?

13 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

You said it yourself 

" I've been worried about riding since it was pulled from shelf almost expecting something like this to happen."

You know the risks.

I am not sure how this quote from a customer would change in any way or shape the legal responsibilities of the manufacturer or the seller. 

A full refund is not a legal responsibility and legal responsibility has nothing to do with what we are currently discussing. We're talking about personal responsibility. 

But to touch on legal responsibility, the ninebot documentation clearly states that they are not liable for personal injury caused by the device. Their only responsibility is to keep it running during the warranty period. If replacing the MB with a new or used replacement of the same kind restores the unit to functionality, they have fulfilled their obligations. 

This and my entire argument is about demanding a refund for a product that was known "and the above quote shows he knew" is probably an unreasonable demand. 

My only goal here was to make the OP realize a full refund was an unreasonable demand. 

When it comes to a "v2" replacement, you will see I mentioned that is NOT an unreasonable demand, but is at the discretion of NB. Not the OP

33 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

A full refund is not a legal responsibility

If the law says so, it is. I agree that this is not likely when a product has been used for several months, but that doesn't meant it is impossible or that it is not a legal question. If a product does not comply with its promise (and cannot in principle) in some legislations the law might require a full refund even after months of use.

27 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

But to touch on legal responsibility, the ninebot documentation clearly states that they are not liable for personal injury caused by the device.

Nice one :) though I didn't know that a product documentation is tantamount to the book of law :)

Archived