Rolling back and forth drain battery quickly

hyiu00

In order to keep standing on an EUC within a small room, it is necessary to roll it back and forth to keep the dynamics.  Has anyone experienced any overheating when doing so?  Mine is a cheapo brandless EUC and I do not expect much from it, but it does heat up when rolling back and forth within a 2 meter range, and the battery is going down quickly.

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Yes this will be likly to cause overheaing 

Thanks and so there is no way I can practice balancing while watching TV.  :(

At least this is how I learnt my hoverboard balancing and it is a shame not be able to do it on unicycle.

Hello,

I idle, spin, tight turn "dance" daily in my tiny living room while reading CNN and listening to good music, barefoot for more control.

I now have confidence in my KS14C over heat sensor that  beeps, extreme tilt back at 70C and ride it until there about 8 minutes depending on ambient temp.

Many times I am angry that it is unwilling to be ridden when I want more but am slowly figuring out how to help over heat issues as summer is close, opening the top of the case and, or fans?

I would say that if you do not have confidence in your EUCs over heat sensor system please be careful idling as if it cuts out you could face or ass plant.

If you have blue tooth connection and can see your amp consumption in real time, see what happens when you idle, even as easy and gental possible.

I have a feeling that the mother boards and firmware on most EUCs are not designed for "freestyle type" riding?

Maybe someone with much more electronics experience, easy to do in my case, can comment on this please?

Could it be also that a more powerful motor will over heat quicker?

ukj

7 hours ago, hyiu00 said:

In order to keep standing on an EUC within a small room, it is necessary to roll it back and forth to keep the dynamics.  Has anyone experienced any overheating when doing so?  Mine is a cheapo brandless EUC and I do not expect much from it, but it does heat up when rolling back and forth within a 2 meter range, and the battery is going down quickly.

I also do idling and watching TV/listening music in my small living room with a generic wheel.

Yes, the battery drains faster as a shorter distance you idle.

Yes, the wheel gets warm, in my case usually after 20-30 minutes idling and when I feel it by touching the side where the motherboard is located, I stop riding.

Not a motors expert, but I guess the reason is that the motor stalls (ie. comes to a stop) for a short while when you change direction. The current needed to get the motor turning again is much larger than after it's turning, so those spikes eat up your battery faster and heat up the mosfets (conduction losses).

As an example, this isn't idling back and forth, but I'm getting going with Vee's MCM2s before climbing a short steep hill:

Mh2LXU5.png

See the current & power spike between around 2 and 3.5 seconds. That's what happens when the wheel starts turning from a stationary position. While it lasts only for a short while, the current & power is very high. Apparently, at least older Gotways report the current as 1.5-2 larger than it really is, so those power values aren't that exact, but you get the idea: getting going takes about as much power as the peak power needed for the wheel to take me up about 20-25 degree hill. And I'm lightweight.

The faster you accelerate, the more power is needed, and if starting from a stationary position, the peak power needed might be in the kilowatts range for a fast change in speed.

I think there was also an early EUC model (?Firewheel/IPS?) that just burned the motherboard when one was standing still on the EUC (holding on a pole or something similar) on a slight de/incline... (standing still is imho for the EUC also a (very minimal) form of idling forth and back)

The low speed/startup/rolling back and forth behaviour is quite different for each EUC - some seem to have invested more "brain-power" to handle this "critial" state, some did'nt... But i'd assume it's quite a burden for each EUC...

... Could also be, that in my Ninebot manual was written, that one must not make this idle movement - or it was in some other EUC manual posted here sometimes - i do not really rememeber...

On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 1:29 AM, hyiu00 said:

Thanks and so there is no way I can practice balancing while watching TV.  :(

At least this is how I learnt my hoverboard balancing and it is a shame not be able to do it on unicycle.

Ah, so you don't own VR goggles...?     Bump, bump, what was that??? Smash....

Archived