60mph no longer the unachievable goal for off the shelf eucs....

bpong

2 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Who really gives an f if it's 65 wheel speed or 60 gps, are we being scored on accuracy? It's beyond me why anyone would even care. 

Who the duck give f if it goes 60mph or 100mph anyways. Keep adding more batteries, bigger motors - in no time wheels will weight 150lbs to 200lbs and then we will start to fly.

Big woof.. Only the speed demons would care about it. Normal people could care less. :D But i get it.. Bigger number is always sweeter and more enjoyable. Ladies. :efee8319ab:

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Normal people could care less. :D

Try not to absorb bad habits from our American friends :) Just because they do it wrong, doesn't mean we all should.

They COULDN'T care less. The other version means precisely the opposite of what you're trying to say !

Thank you. As you were.

International Association for English Pedantry, est. 1544

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:
1 hour ago, noonewantstobepeterchris said:

Whatever.

It's OK, I'm not a snitch. I won't send the form to the King.

Yet you bought a Master for riding in the UK.

Following your laws, either you hang up your spurs, or you all should be buying V8's.

What is even more surprising is the Veteran wheels sell very well in Europe. What's up with that. Leaper Kim doesn't make one wheel that would comply with any laws in Europe.

In short, you fine folks across the pond aren't really that immune to the draw of more power and speed, except for those who have to lug the thing up 3+ flights of stairs for each outing. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Yet you bought a Master for riding in the UK.

Following your laws, either you hang up your spurs, or you all should be buying V8's.

You may be conflating a harmless joke about words with the wider subject at hand !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Who really gives an f if it's 65 wheel speed or 60 gps, are we being scored on accuracy? It's beyond me why anyone would even care. 

Ha, because it’s more than 18% off, I guess you like your fantasy speed?  Nice video of Roger posting app speed and gps speed on the Max

15 hours ago, techyiam said:

Leaper Kim doesn't make one wheel that would comply with any laws in Europe.

That's probably not true, for example in France, at least for how the law is interpreted in practice: wheels are sold with a speed limit activated in the app and, to my understanding, they are considered to be legal as long as this limit is never deactivated and if they are insured. Otherwise, almost all sold wheels would be illegal, including the innocent V8F which can technically go way faster than the official speed limit. I could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, Mrd777 said:

I guess you like your fantasy speed?

I hate to be the one to break it to you but GPS accuracy depends on many factors,

weather conditions

number of satellites connected to the device

type of satellites connected to the device

obstacles in the surrounding area, trees,hills,rock etc

number of receivers in the device itself

quality of the device itself

Ionospheric delay

as well as some "man made " interference. caused by proximity to other electronic devices like, you know an electric wheel....

humidity in the troposphere

atmospheric pressure

solar radiation pressure

multi path issues where radio signals bounce off surrounding terrain

ionospheric irregularities referred to as scintillation

So in conclusion, you can stick with the narrative that GPS is the most accurate form of speed monitoring. But you may want to educate yourself on it before going "all in" on the 18% off idea. The wheel speed may be off a bit but it maintains it's accuracy by measuring the wheel, not relying on all these other factors. That's why you see the GPS speed jumping around all over the place while the wheel is doing a constant steady reading. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I find it odd that some of you don't care at wild inaccuracies of the speed these wheels report.  Fantasy bragging rights?  Without GPS accuracy it is just "mental self-pleasuring".  I was quite surprised to compare GPS vs what was reported on my A2.  Being a new rider, the sensation of speed seemed consistent with what the wheel claimed.  GPS numbers are quite a bit less.

As far as ultimate achievable speeds, I still hold to the view that we are rapidly approaching the limits of what riders can do.  Aerodynamic drag, aero induced instability, and "wheel wobble tendency" all increase dramatically.  Short of a HUGE wheel (diameter and weight) I don't see 70+ mph at all realistic outside of a Bonneville Flats sort of setting.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I hate to be the one to break it to you but GPS accuracy depends on many factors,

weather conditions

Ionospheric delay

as well as some "man made " interference. caused by proximity to other electronic devices like, you know an electric wheel....

atmospheric pressure

solar radiation pressure

So in conclusion, you can stick with the narrative that GPS is the most accurate form of speed monitoring. But you may want to educate yourself on it before going "all in" on the 18% off idea. The wheel speed may be off a bit but it maintains it's accuracy by measuring the wheel, not relying on all these other factors. That's why you see the GPS speed jumping around all over the place while the wheel is doing a constant steady reading. 

Officer to speed demon "you where going 61 mph"  Speed demon to officer "But my gps was only reading 48" Cheers :cheers:

• Haha 1

I don't need anything more than what the master gives me. When I had the Sherman Max or the V12 I wanted a bit more for comfort for that one time in a trip you want to "see" what it feels like, but really 80/85 km/h safely is perfect for me.

I feel also too exposed to sudden wind changes at those speed, I wouldn't try to go much above that. I'd trade any speed over a safe 85 km/h for torque.

Edited by Timwheel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

weather conditions

Ionospheric delay

atmospheric pressure

solar radiation pressure

💯! Checking a ride video with gps speed:

Screenshot_2024-03-06-09-32-32-563_com.google.android.youtube-edit.jpg

Gps speed also introduces more technical points of failure. The speed could go incorrect without even being too obvious like on this example. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, techyiam said:

What is even more surprising is the Veteran wheels sell very well in Europe. What's up with that. Leaper Kim doesn't make one wheel that would comply with any laws in Europe.

We can forget on any EU compliance with EUCs. 
Best we can get is Huawei chargers with real CE certification (and not China Export).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

We can forget on any EU compliance with EUCs. 
Best we can get is Huawei chargers with real CE certification (and not China Export).

At the moment, it does seem pretty gloomy.

But, I suspect in the long term, it is hard to predict how it will be like for euc's.

I think it is unlikely that euc's will become mainstream in any case.

With the numbers low, euc's shouldn't show up on the accident statistics radar. And so hopefully, enforcement will be lax.

3 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

The wheel speed may be off a bit but it maintains it's accuracy by measuring the wheel, not relying on all these other factors. That's why you see the GPS speed jumping around all over the place while the wheel is doing a constant steady reading. 

Exactly how I feel.

The wheel speed maintains accuracy.

Easier to -5%, or whatever.

I have bad cell coverage, and GPS is all over the place. Certainly not accurate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSolo said:

I find it odd that some of you don't care at wild inaccuracies of the speed these wheels report.  Fantasy bragging rights?

Sure, and why not? Who cares anyway what is the actual real top speed? It doesn't have any relevance unless for the purpose of being proud, or does it?

• Like 1

Yep, I honestly don't care that much - as long as EUCW is showing me a vague idea of kph so I can sporadically check I am not inadvertently going too fast for 'legal defence / mitigation' purposes, and for general interest / reviewing rides later, but generally, once I've set my speed alarms how I like them I find I hardly ever glance at my phone as I ride, except to check safety margin if I am going up hill fast or similar. The speed numbers the phone is giving me don't really have to be even vaguely related to actual speeds, as long as they stay consistent - it could be a on a scale of 0-1000 for all I care as long as I know what 1000 represents when compared to GPS later ! And I like that the wheel over-estimates by 10% or so in my case ! It's (obliquely) like having a watch set 5 mins fast, so you end up on time for everything !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

it's essential to pay attention to the manufacturers speed information. If the max speed is announced to be 40 mph, and this is "wheel speed" and not GPS speed, then its dangerous to ride the beebs into the GPS speed 40 mph, thus in realty this is perhaps wheel speed 46 mph... the result can easily be cutout with no warning...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Yep, I honestly don't care that much - as long as EUCW is showing me a vague idea of kph so I can sporadically check I am not inadvertently going too fast for 'legal defence / mitigation' purposes, and for general interest / reviewing rides later, but generally, once I've set my speed alarms how I like them I find I hardly ever glance at my phone as I ride, except to check safety margin if I am going up hill fast or similar. The speed numbers the phone is giving me don't really have to be even vaguely related to actual speeds, as long as they stay consistent - it could be a on a scale of 0-1000 for all I care as long as I know what 1000 represents when compared to GPS later ! And I like that the wheel over-estimates by 10% or so in my case ! It's (obliquely) like having a watch set 5 mins fast, so you end up on time for everything !

If you got alarms set, why do you even need to check phone? :D I never even once pull out my phone while riding. And daily commutes i don't even connect to app, as i don't ride that fast in first place. 

Also if you got safety margin alarm set. You are fine till you hear the alarm.. Mine is set at 15% and i never hear it. And i'm 280lbs on 18xl, versus you and your weight on master. :D If my memory is right, you where pretty light.. You should never worry about them. I have even ridden 45km/h at 50% battery and it doesn't drop bellow 20% safety margin.

46 minutes ago, Funky said:

If you got alarms set, why do you even need to check phone?

See voltage levels / check sag, see how close to safety margin we might be on lesser known gradients, see what time it is... general phone stuff...

I don't think I have ever heard the safety margin beeps, and not sure how they would differ from wheel beeps, so nice to get visual indication. Also I like having stats and weather info read to me as I ride, so phone on wrist very useful for that too...