Marty's broken ankle - posted on Facebook

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Poor Marty. I'm wondering what was the cause of the cutout.

Good question.....

I see a substantial growth in e-scooters around my neighborhood, Boston streets, local bus and subway passengers.

EUC is a rare sight.

Some...but not as many e-bikes.

Edited by Bob Eisenman

"Hello Marty,we are very sorry to hear that you are hurted because A2 shut off.We have required our engineers to check where we should improve it. Except saying sorry, Is there  something I can do for you?  Hope you will recover soon."

Google drive link to comment screen capture

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D617SQSLNewLeh0LGS2fPX3o1KwJbkDj/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by Bob Eisenman

Dammit - poor Marty - I wish him a speedy recovery as I'm sure we all do ! At least the accident / reasons for it will be thoroughly investigated, explained and explored by him when he recovers.

Not a criticism or anything, but as comprehensively geared up as he usually is, I've always thought he could do with a bit more around the ankle area - I wonder if MC boots would have saved him that injury ?

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Poor Marty. I'm wondering what was the cause of the cutout.

So....overpower requests made to the euc leads to a unit shutdown (preserving the device electronics) but since a self balancing device requires power to maintain rider stability the operator loses.

A forum search with the key word 'cutout' gives some 1600+ returns.

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/search/?&q=Cutout&page=2&search_and_or=or

The 'cutout-proof' wheels discussion linked above seems a reasonable place to start thinking about why 'cutouts' happen.

Overpower based cutoffs leave the wheel powered on. Marty said that the A2 turned off mid ride. And knowing how he tends to ride, I’m pretty sure that this incident had nothing to do with an overlean.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2023 at 4:05 PM, Cerbera said:

Not a criticism or anything, but as comprehensively geared up as he usually is, I've always thought he could do with a bit more around the ankle area - I wonder if MC boots would have saved him that injury ?

I think they might have. The boots I have are very strong around the ankle. Even if it still would have broken, the severity of the break would have been most likely lessened. When I broke my shoulder, I came down on my left foot first. My big toenail was the only causality. But that shows the impact was very high. My ankle didn't break. 

Marty, your accident has had me really considering the very thing you bring up. 7 years of riding with no broken anything. And now here you are with a broken ankle. It makes me think the question with EUCs isn't if but when. Or rather that safety and quality should be priority number one with all wheels. 

In your case, do you feel your ankle would have been so entangled if you weren't using power pads? (sorry, I am assuming you were) The reason I ask, is because even though pads help us to better control the wheel, they also thwart our feet leaving the pedals in these kinds of sudden deacceleration scenarios. I wonder if your pads not been present if your foot would have more freely come away from the wheel and this break avoided. 

This is more of a general question regarding power pads. Do they represent an increase in injury in the event of a crash? 

• Like 2

Thanks for the updates Marty. Could I ask what the footwear situation was ? Were your ankles covered at all, and do you think something like MC boots would have helped / saved anything ?

Indeed, most worrying when they just power off, and can be extra hard to diagnose why. Best of luck again in your recovery and eventual investigations !

Edited by Cerbera

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

A wheel that turns off (vs cutoff) is the absolute worst case scenario for causing injury.

Agreed. It is why I was thrown like a rocket into the ground when my V12 HT mainboard just died. I broke my shoulder as a result. I am on the mend now and riding again, but I keep my speeds down and there is this sinking fear anytime I go faster than 30mph. I just don't do it anymore. EUCs are amazing, but being a live is far more amazing. 

For all of these reasons, I kind of feel like the bigger wheels are just safer. They are more robust, have more redundancies. I look at the V13, for example. It is built like a tank. As of right now we have only had 1 cutout reported, if I am not mistaken. And that cut out saw Inmotion make an immediate change to the firmware over. 

I got another V12 HT, and I like how it is smaller and easier to handle, but I just don't have as much confidence in its un-suspended and no power redundancy construction. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 2disbetter said:

Agreed. It is why I was thrown like a rocket into the ground when my V12 HT mainboard just died. I broke my shoulder as a result. I am on the mend now and riding again, but I keep my speeds down and there is this sinking fear anytime I go faster than 30mph. I just don't do it anymore. EUCs are amazing, but being a live is far more amazing. 

For all of these reasons, I kind of feel like the bigger wheels are just safer. They are more robust, have more redundancies. I look at the V13, for example. It is built like a tank. As of right now we have only had 1 cutout reported, if I am not mistaken. And that cut out saw Inmotion make an immediate change to the firmware over. 

I got another V12 HT, and I like how it is smaller and easier to handle, but I just don't have as much confidence in its un-suspended and no power redundancy construction. 

I agree. Now that Wrong Way has confirmed that the V13 with deleted suspension and other COG-lowering alterations is a totally different, more stable and responsive wheel, I'm gonna rent one locally to try out in that configuration. Stability and reliability and caution and practice and luck = best chance of avoiding big injuries.

Marty you have done a lot for the community and I want to thank you for that, I hope for a speedy recovery. For what its worth I use these boots these days, Im not sure it helps in the scenario Marty desribes. Regarding V13 I ride at 60-70 kmh often, under 45 kmh the V13 seems clumsy and sort of unresponsive.  I need suspension wheels else I get back problems - Id never take the suspension off my v13... I think its a bad idea.  Boots here    https://www.xlmoto.dk/product/mc-stovler-course-tall-sort_pid-PM-4945205 

Tail bone protection is in my plastic armor and some terribly warm  passion killers from G form  ....   Stay safe you good people ScreenShot2022-06-07at8.30.00PM_1200x120

f502768962054200a616bc2a5b692373_2_PIA-2

Edited by Finn Bjerke
more info
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

At least the balls did not get badly damaged…. but ouch - The poor knees! ‘Lucky’ that the speed involved was relatively low. Not the best choice of attire for the display.

• Upvote 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:16 PM, Marty Backe said:

Having the use of only one leg is a major hurtle to living life. If your livelihood depends on having use of all limbs and you don't have good medical leave benefits, think twice about riding EUC's, particularly if you have a family that depends on you.

Well said - with the widespread adoption of EUC, I would like to see manufacturers again focus on rider safety. 

Mten4 / master v1 / T4 v1 and A4 are not safe vehicles out of the factory - there is very limited if any QC. I feel there is no design verification before the first batch. For me, this is serious WTF.

• Upvote 1