Going from suspension to non-suspension

Josh P

Have any of you started on a suspension wheel and upgraded (downgraded?) to a non-suspension? My first wheel is a V11 and I would like to eventually get something with a bit more torque/speed. I've looked into the Sherman S, S22 pro, and Patton and they all seem great but each have something about them I'm not crazy about. The Sherman max really seems like the perfect wheel except for the one glaring exception - no suspension. I also haven't had the chance to ride any of the other suspension wheels.

I know I can get used to anything but am curious on your thoughts/opinions/recommendations. Is another suspension wheel the best way to go after learning on one?

Edited by Josh P

12 hours ago, Josh P said:

I know I can get used to anything

Well, getting used to a non-suspension wheel after a suspension seems to be the one thing people do not get used to… :lol: I’ve only heard one person ever doing it. Don’t know how it fared long term.

If you haven’t tried one without, you might underestimate the importance of suspension, especially at higher speeds. There is a good reason why all modern wheels have a suspension.

I had to ride for a full day on a MSP HT after I got a flat on my V11. Worst day of my life! (Almost.) I will do whatever it takes to make sure that I won’t ever have to ride a non-suspension wheel ever again. It really is that bad. Takes all the joy out of riding.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 3

To not have to depend on suspension is good, so for developing your skills it's not a bad idea to try it.

But as an upgrade, hmm. Bad idea probably, unless you need a challenge.

Suspension wheels are always going to average higher speeds without taking added risk.

I hear the Sherman-S is a wheel that is a really long lasting wheel. 

I'm going to get one eventually but I'm not in a rush. And in the meantime I'm going to enjoy the lightweight of my current wheels = 19-23kg. That's 23kg for a long range cruiser! Those days are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Of course you can but it doesn't feel great.

20 hours ago, Josh P said:

I've looked into the Sherman S, S22 pro, and Patton and they all seem great but each have something about them I'm not crazy about.

Like what? You just mentioned 3 of the best wheels. 😁

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Josh P said:

The Sherman max really seems like the perfect wheel except for the one glaring exception - no suspension. I also haven't had the chance to ride any of the other suspension wheels.

You really need to test ride some wheels then decide. I can't see how you can conclude that the Sherman Max is the perfect wheel for you to upgrade to from a V11 without riding one first.

It has been reported that the Sherman Max rides very similarly to the OG Sherman. I have briefly rode an OG Sherman, and it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Although, the OG Sherman was a popular wheel, there are riders that don't like to ride them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, techyiam said:

You really need to test ride some wheels then decide. I can't see how you can conclude that the Sherman Max is the perfect wheel for you to upgrade to from a V11 without riding one first.

It has been reported that the Sherman Max rides very similarly to the OG Sherman. I have briefly rode an OG Sherman, and it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Although, the OG Sherman was a popular wheel, there are riders that don't like to ride them.

I think mostly due to its size and, speed, battery- so, specs. But you’re 100% right, it’s impossible to know without riding first.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

Of course you can but it doesn't feel great.

Like what? You just mentioned 3 of the best wheels. 😁

I know!! But Sherman S with its size and cost, S22 with its annoyance factor (I’ve read quite a bit about having to switch out components which I’m just not interested in), and with the patton just how new it is. I’m not in any kind of rush tho so maybe I dont need to worry the newness of the Patton.

14 minutes ago, Josh P said:

I know!! But Sherman S with its size and cost, S22 with its annoyance factor (I’ve read quite a bit about having to switch out components which I’m just not interested in), and with the patton just how new it is. I’m not in any kind of rush tho so maybe I dont need to worry the newness of the Patton.

Cost sure but SS is not that much bigger than Shermax. S22 Pro you don't really have to switch anything. Patton is already at Batch 3, it's a very nice wheel but pricey.

I wouldn't buy a non-suspension wheel in this day and age.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Cost sure but SS is not that much bigger than Shermax. S22 Pro you don't really have to switch anything. Patton is already at Batch 3, it's a very nice wheel but pricey.

I wouldn't buy a non-suspension wheel in this day and age.

Good points and nah I don’t think I’m gonna

• Like 1

If I was in your shoes with no rush I might go for the commander mini or wait for the extreme.

Just because of them being lighter and cheaper than the Patton, then again if you are afraid of new things and potential hidden problems I guess its a dumb idea.

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

non-suspension wheel ever again. It really is that bad. Takes all the joy out of riding.

[OT]  Dont you ever say that to a Harley Hardtail owner :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

This thread is probably the most unanimous one I’ve seen in a while. :lol:

Just like almost every rider I know. 99.9% have or are switching to suspension wheels. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's a great time to get into EUC riding with all these affordable starter wheels to learn on. 

I bet lots of people are holding on to their non-suspension wheels as backup but after they haven't been used for a while they'll likely be up for sale.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I bet lots of people are holding on to their non-suspension wheels as backup but after they haven't been used for a while they'll likely be up for sale.

My 18XL is a good grocery getter/ errand runner now.   It used to be my long range wheel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

This thread is probably the most unanimous one I’ve seen in a while. :lol:

Seriously I thought there’d be at least one anti-suspension purist but I guess not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Josh P said:

Seriously I thought there’d be at least one anti-suspension purist but I guess not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It's almost as prepostrous as going back to cars without suspension - bouncing is always better than shaking ! ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...