Do you ride your bicycle anymore?

woke rider

I keep telling myself that I am going to fix the flat on my bike and start riding it again, but I never do. Now that you have an electric unicycle, do you ride your bike anymore?

Edited by earthtwin
typo
  • Thanks 1

Yeah man, still riding the electric bike/scooter, but it's a pretty unique build. It's the trail bike that doesn't get any seat time anymore. A bit more fun on the wheel.

• Like 1

Well, let's just say that the euc isn't going to be nearly as good for your cardiovascular.

On an euc I don't care about being aerodynamic or efficient, on a bike I do. It's a nice contrast. Besides,  I'm faster on a bike, in certain places. Like descents or getting through standing traffic.

• Like 2

I noticed one benefit of being an euc riding cyclist. When my cycling buddies come back out on the roads after the winter, they need to get back into the rhythm of traffic. It takes a few rides. For me there's almost no transition.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Well, let's just say that the euc isn't going to be nearly as good for your cardiovascular.

I'm not sure that is true, it might be. Or else your body just got used to riding an EUC. I remember, learning riding an EUC was probably the the most physically exhausting activities I had ever done, but I'm used to it now. The only thing that came close to the EUC physical stress was doing a ropes course where I was dangling and I didn't know if I was going to fall on the emergency ropes and net or pull myself up. My glutes muscles are usually sore the next day after riding, I think it's because I push myself a little harder each ride. Especially off road riding- I have a field right next to where I live and I have gotten myself into a few exhausting predicaments out there.

Edited by earthtwin
more info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• woke rider changed the title to Do you ride your bicycle anymore?
4 hours ago, earthtwin said:

The only thing that came close to the EUC physical stress was doing a ropes course where I was dangling and I didn't know if I was going to fall on the emergency ropes and net or pull myself up.

For me, it probably wasn't to that extent because I would stopped riding before I would reach that point, or just take it easier. But I can certainly feel the leg and other muscles were being stressed. Cardiovascular-wise though, I didn't notice that I was exerting too much. However, when I go back to do a little cycling, I felt more toned or even more fit than if I wasn't riding an electric wheel during that time of no-cycling.

Additionally, when I switched from my V12 to my Abrams, again there was that noticeable additional exertion. But as I rode more, and my leg muscles developed, and my balance gots better, the feeling of doing work went away. With a big heavy wheel, especially if it is top heavy, the rider would feel the weight more if the wheel is more off-balance. 

I can certainly noticed a massive difference between riding a bicycle daily for a few months and riding an electric wheel even for a whole year. If I cycle, I feel way stronger cardiovascular-wise.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

I am not in the best cardio-vascular shape, and live in an area built around a succession of big hills, so cycling isn't a practical option for me unless I want to arrive at every destination absolutely exhausted, dripping sweat, and unable to talk for 10 minutes while I get my breath back ! So EUC makes perfect sense here, and still presents ENOUGH of a workout that my cardio, muscle tone and general fitness IS improving while I ride, just not to an extent that half kills me in the process ! If I want a serious cardio work out at any point, I just go off-road and uphill, which I find just as exhausting as cycling or walking it if the terrain is challenging enough !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I am not in the best cardio-vascular shape, and live in an area built around a succession of big hills, so cycling isn't a practical option for me unless I want to arrive at every destination absolutely exhausted, dripping sweat, and unable to talk for 10 minutes while I get my breath back !

There is a steep hill close to my home, but it isn't big. When not in shape, I would have to exert quite a bit to get up that hill. However, what I do is to start gradually. I start on an e-bike initially, and then move over to a pedal bike and build from there. After some months of daily riding, I would then be able to ride that hill easily. 

16 hours ago, Cerbera said:

If I want a serious cardio work out at any point, I just go off-road and uphill, which I find just as exhausting as cycling or walking it if the terrain is challenging enough !

I guess it depends on how hard you train on your bike? I don't do offroad on an electric wheel. For the same amount of enthusiasm, and level of determination, for me I would say doing the "Grouse Grind" (a natural, giant Stair Master, a hike) is by far the best cardiovascular workout, then biking. I would rate e-wheeling below walking. I am somewhat surprised that you can get as much a cardiovascular workout on an electric wheel as doing a big climb on a bicycle. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

First, this is a great thread idea!

I’ve been an avid MTB and BMX rider again for the last few years after a decade or so hiatus. Over those first two years I averaged about five hours per week of fairly intense cycling and really upped my fitness level. When I bought my first wheel last year though, (at age 45) I was hooked.

After a few weeks of wheelin’ and dramatically cutting back my cycling, I made a pact with myself that I would alternate days between wheels and bikes. So far, I have mostly made good on the pact. My cycling is down to about 3.5hrs/week, but I ride one or the other about 6 days a week (barring heavy rain) and spend more total time rolling outdoors than before the wheel. 

Still, I must admit, it is sometimes hard to find the willpower to pick up a bike over a wheel on bike days. 

On a related note, I have two motorcycles that have pretty much just collected dust since my first wheel. After 300k+ lifetime street miles on MCs, I much prefer the wheels now, with equivalent adrenaline at a fraction of the speed and physical risk, and no worry of losing my driver’s license. 

Edited by stizl
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hellkitten said:

I’ve been an avid cyclist my entire life. I haven’t been on my bike in a year and a half………. 😞

Yep, the wheel is hard to resist. I walk around about 7lbs heavier than before the wheel, but the variety might help keep both sports a bit more interesting in the long run…I hope. :wacko:

• Like 2

It probably hits people differently. If you ride your bike to simply go sightseeing and relax, then yes the wheel will take that over. If you ride because you've got excess energy and you want to use that to  push your body + health benefits, and let's be honest, eat more without putting on weight, then use your bike.

There comes a point when the wheel becomes effortless, and that's when the contrast to the bike becomes more apparent. So you might have your bike in storage now, but it could come out later. 

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have an unlocked Bafang mid drive ebike and it’s awesome.  It powers up hills like it’s flat ground and is so much fun. 

It’s great to have handlebars to place my iPhone so I can view the off road paths in the hills or view the radar display to see how many cars are behind me and how fast they are approaching.  

Plus it has a basket on the front for throwing all my items in along with a rear rack that also holds two giant pannier bags so I can go shopping or camping without worrying about weight.

If I need to transport even more items I can tow them as the motor is strong enough and you don’t notice it there.  

The downside is the weight and trying to carry it over countryside gates and stiles. 

I would advise anyone with a EUC to try an ebike as it’s so much better than old fashioned manual bikes as if you are tired you can switch pedal assist to maximum or just throttle it whenever you want.  You end up riding so much further than you ever did on an old bike  

• Like 3

Still using my hybrid- and mountain e-bikes far more that EUC here, the wind is the limiting factor for EUC riding here, though mornings and evenings aren’t generally so bad. Weekends are picnic days, and seldom is it sufficiently calm for the combination of me on my EUC and my partner on her e-bike, so generally the bikes win. But on the relatively few days I do get out for a tour on the EUC it’s great, though I can see I may have a few too many these days!         Thing is, the V2 Sherman is still a lovely and great backup wheel, and the MSP is just handy for short runs here and there, and I can’t see myself selling the ‘S’….

• Like 1

when my trip involves carrying alot in my backpack plus a little bit xtra,  i always use my converted bicycle for the trip.  the bicycle has rear saddle bags and is converted to front wheel drive.  i can go much farther and carry much more with my converted bicycle than with my euc.

• Like 2

I take my daughter to/from daycare on a RadRunner Plus e-bike because it's faster cutting through the park system vs. driving.
At least, until she gets old enough to ride an mten then she can ride that and I can carry it back home ;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spiwrs said:

I have an unlocked Bafang mid drive ebike and it’s awesome.  It powers up hills like it’s flat ground and is so much fun. 

Those Bafangs are awesome and the DIY aspect is superior in just about every way (price, reliability, power, flexibility) beating out the vast majority of retail bikes except for bike frame compatiblity and weight. Like you said, other than when you have to lift the bike up, the added weight of the bike doesn't matter anymore - and running a removable "bottle" type battery pack can aid in this aspect too. Big fan of the Bafang conversions.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just went out for my first bike ride in over a year. My reasons to not bike are likely different than others but finally got a chance and felt ready to, mostly I wanted a cardio workout. My shins have been in pain and I’m actually wondering if the non-suspension wheel is causing this, but the bike ride was great. Later that day I trail rode with the fam on the euc, no issues with shins etc and glad I got a solid bike ride in earlier. I’m terms of transportation I’d rather euc 9/10

On 6/10/2023 at 3:12 PM, earthtwin said:

I keep telling myself that I am going to fix the flat on my bike and start riding it again, but I never do. Now that you have an electric unicycle, do you ride your bike anymore?

I ride a bike all the time. I actually sold my EUC. I missed the exercise from riding my bike.