Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

I don't get where people see swappable battery.. Gogoro have electric scooters with swappable batteries. V14 have a slightly faster battery release.. I can go to electronics shop, buy the same connectors and put them on my T4 battery cable. The only benefit this brings is a possibility to disconnect battery for safe storage if you plan to leave for a longer time. But even than, how much time are you saving? Swapping between wheels, having a second set to mount when first go empty, or taking half battery off for 'weight' are all pretty much stupid. 

You might take out two battery packs in diagonal (right-front & left back, for example) and still have a perfectly balanced wheel and make it much lighter if you don’t need high range and really want a lighter wheel. For some people the weight is important.

I think the fact that we are moving towards outside waterproof connectors is a very important move to make the wheels easier to service and more waterproof in general (no need to unseal/open the board compartment). I do not know if they’ve made a similar connector for the motor cable, but that would be absolutely necessary to get the wheel that we are asking for so long. I hope @Inmotion Global will do that so we can easily change the tire when we have a puncture. It is very important to be able to disconnect the motor cable because you can damage it if you try to change the tire (especially a good motorcycle tire) with it still attached to the board. So your opinion might be that it’s stupid, but for me personally it is extremely important. It takes me several hours to open up my V12 and change the tire and put it back, reseal all the cables, etc. , and I find it not funny at all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Paul g said:

You might take out two battery packs in diagonal (right-front & left back, for example) and still have a perfectly balanced wheel and make it much lighter if you don’t need high range and really want a lighter wheel. For some people the weight is important.

But than you riding it without pads or adding some solid fairings that add extra weight.

From what I seen V12 was a lot of trouble to disassemble and for sure current modular design is a good step forward. Most of the new wheels are quick to take apart. Ideally noone should need to take them apart except maybe once to change the tire mid life.. 

17 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

But than you riding it without pads or adding some solid fairings that add extra weight.

You need to use empty battery packs, obviously, they don’t weigh much. 

21 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

Ideally noone should need to take them apart except maybe once to change the tire mid life.. 

I wish I had this luck! My first punctured tire was in the first days of use, then after a month the second. Then a third. London is a dirty place. Smashed glass bottles by drunkards are a daily staple on bicycle lanes (no pun intended here).

49 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

From what I seen V12 was a lot of trouble to disassemble and for sure current modular design is a good step forward. Most of the new wheels are quick to take apart. Ideally noone should need to take them apart except maybe once to change the tire mid life.. 

Actually, removing the wheel from a V12 is quite straightforward. It isn't much different than the typical wheel with a plastic shell. Except there is one big difference. The V12 is designed to be serviced. In comparison, changing a tire on a T3 is messier than on the V12. And on the T3, plastic parts start to break after a number of times. Not so with the V12.

However, it is simpler on the Abrams, except for the motor cable junction box. Leaper Kim should have used a gasket for sealing, instead of silicone sealer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

You need to use empty battery packs, obviously, they don’t weigh much. 

But then you need to open the packs and take the battery out? Unless we have a dummy lightweight battery boxes and don't touch the originals. 

Earther way it Would be interesting to know exactly how much one pack weighs to know the exact weight saving of riding in this setup. 

4 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

it Would be interesting to know exactly how much one pack weighs to know the exact weight saving of riding in this setup.

32 pcs of 21700 cells weigh 1.92kg. So just removing the cells and leaving the cases for pads (or having something similar on for the pads) drops the weight to 35.2kg. For a 1200Wh wheel. I really don’t think that weight adverse riders would consider the Adventure as an option in any situation or in any setup.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Actually, removing the wheel from a V12 is quite straightforward. It isn't much different than the typical wheel with a plastic shell. Except there is one big difference. The V12 is designed to be serviced. In comparison, changing a tire on a T3 is messier than on the V12. And on the T3, plastic parts start to break after a number of times. Not so with the V12.

However, it is simpler on the Abrams, except for the motor cable junction box. Leaper Kim should have used a gasket for sealing, instead of silicone sealer.

The T3 is a very old wheel and is a Begode, the quality is as exceptional. 

I would disagree with you on the V12. The amount of screws of the same diameter, different lenghts, the same diameter and different heads, etc. is not nice at all. When I got my wheel back from the repair shop I found screws in the wrong place.

3 minutes ago, Drunkard said:

But then you need to open the packs and take the battery out? Unless we have a dummy lightweight battery boxes and don't touch the originals. 

Earther way it Would be interesting to know exactly how much one pack weighs to know the exact weight saving of riding in this setup. 

We will have dummy ones available, obviously, just like you can buy empty metal battery boxes for some Begode wheels.

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

32 pcs of 21700 cells weigh 1.92kg. So just removing the cells and leaving the cases for pads (or having something similar on for the pads) drops the weight to 35.2kg. For a 1200Wh wheel. I really don’t think that weight adverse riders would consider the Adventure as an option in any situation or in any setup.

I would personally not do that, but the outside connectors are very important for me from the other reason of serviceability. 

• Like 1

I noticed that they’ve done two drainage holes for water around the charging port block. Nice 👌. Thank you @Inmotion Global for doing a good job. The attachment looks also beefy.

IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.bd88c9d9d64361f8c19d0bade6858edc.jpeg

Remember only what we have on Patton 

giphy.gif

Edited by Paul g
  • Upvote 2

It’s not a joke, 3300 pesos americanos is only a “super early bird” price,  mi mexicanos!  :lol:

This wheel is gonna be avoided by a lot of people if the price goes higher. Even so it’s already $200 more expensive than similar wheel in its category. It might be good quality, but how much can you ask for 4 extra waterproof connectors? It’s $4 a piece- in retail. And it comes with pads, but those are no Grizzlas and other wheels come with pads as well. More expensive because of the Raptor controller? You already designed it for the last wheel, for the RS e-scooter, no more money spent on development- high production number, less cost. How much do you wanna ask for it?  $3600- $3700? :facepalm: People gonna buy a Begode Extreme with smart BMS for those money, or a Patton. Phew, an other V13 price fiasco :wacko: 

How many V13 have you seen in the wild???   :whistling:  Sherman all the way (mostly Begode in US)

When establishing a price for something you gotta be smart. No doubt, if you know you made something of good quality, put a higher price. But how high can you go? You’ll be left with the zeros that you added if you add to many.
Edited by Paul g

13 hours ago, Drunkard said:

I don't get where people see swappable battery.. Gogoro have electric scooters with swappable batteries. V14 have a slightly faster battery release.. I can go to electronics shop, buy the same connectors and put them on my T4 battery cable. The only benefit this brings is a possibility to disconnect battery for safe storage if you plan to leave for a longer time. But even than, how much time are you saving? Swapping between wheels, having a second set to mount when first go empty, or taking half battery off for 'weight' are all pretty much stupid. 

Maybe. But Inmotion has designed the battery to be swappable. It is much more than just a connector. Being able to do a swap safely and for the wheel to balance out battery packs that are uneven charges is a big step forward. Adding cell monitoring capability is another huge step forward for safety. 

Now many might not swap battery that often. But it does make other thing simpler of you can relative remove battery. Here I am thinking shipping the wheel to a different location or for service. Also the modular design gives the first hint for this wheel to be easyer to do maintainace on. 

It might not matter to people that like GW spinoff brands but for other this can be a big benafit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul g said:
      How many V13 have you seen in the wild???   :whistling:  Sherman all the way (mostly Begode in US)

On a recent group ride here in Aus i was surprised to see mostly orange bars on the front of wheels. Seems to be heaps of 13’s over this way. 

although the next ride WAS all sherms

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Not sure where you got the 1.92kg from. A Chinese poster said they are using Samsung 50G 21700. The old 50G weigh 69.5gm and the new 50G weigh 71gm which equates to 2.224kg or 2.272kg for 32 cells. Not that it makes much difference... 39kg is still to heavy and with a seat it will be over 40.

15 hours ago, Paul g said:

I would disagree with you on the V12. The amount of screws of the same diameter, different lenghts, the same diameter and different heads, etc. is not nice at all. When I got my wheel back from the repair shop I found screws in the wrong place.

Well, the steps are pretty standard:

(1) Remove the stock pads, one on each side.

(2) Unscrew four screws to remove the first pedal. Repeat for the other side.

(3) Remove two screws at the bottom and one screw midway up, front and back. Repeat for the other side. These are the short ones, and are the most commonly used.

(4) Remove two tiny taper head screws next to the pads. Both sides. Now you can remove the covers, one on each side.

(5) Remove the 4 screws, one at each corner of the front headlight module, and repeat for the tail light module. There are 4 locking tabs that need to be unlatched.

(6) Remove front headlight and tail light modules.

(7) Remove the screws that are holding down the top controller cover. Also, on each side, there are the 4 longer screws that go across the top. All other screws are the same short ones, except for a few obvious exceptions.

(8) There are 4 screws with white plastic washers that are fastened from the top down holding the top controller cover. These screws are unique.

(9) Unlatched the two locking tabs on one side first, then lift up the top cover and and automatically, the tabs on the other side will unlatched.

(10 The controller board has  a small circuit board in the center that is holding down the wires. These are small screws threaded for plastic.

(11) Disconnect battery connectors, drain, then unplugged the motor wires and hall sensor wires.

(12) Remove the 6 pedal hangar bolts. Both sides. These bolts are unique.

(13) That is it. Using the proper procedure, slide out the wheel from the plastic shell. Be mindful of the three motor cables and Hall sensor cables threading out the shell with the motor/wheel.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul g said:

This wheel is gonna be avoided by a lot of people if the price goes higher.

I’m sure that’s true. Inmotion has never tried to design wheels for the ones who only shop based on specs and don’t care about the usability, comfort, ergonomics, ride customizations, user experience, etc. The ones that aren’t written in the specs. This is not going to change. People will still buy the Extreme because it’s a bit cheaper, then use closer to a grand to replace the crappy shock, linkage, pads and pedals, while being happy that they didn’t buy the slightly more expensive wheel that doesn’t need any of those upgrades. A lot of people are completely blind to the bigger picture.

6 hours ago, Paul g said:

other wheels come with pads as well.

The Patton doesn’t, and I’m not sure if you can call the Extreme’s contraptions “pads”…

But if you think that a higher price just point blank can’t work no matter what, I don’t think Inmotion wheels are for you. Just like an iPhone or a Mac might not be for you.

2 hours ago, DavidB said:

Not sure where you got the 1.92kg from.

I just googled generic cell weights that said 60g for 21700. Datasheets are surely more precise, so 2.22-2.27kg is definitely what we should go with. :) That would make the 1200Wh Adventure roughly a 34.7kg wheel… Even the porky S16 does better! :roflmao:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

Price is not just for connectors. While you might focus more on price there will be other customers that value other things much more than price. 

That said inflation has change what things cost in many parts of the world over the last few years. 

Now to me the V14 seems to be though through and it seems to be quality in mind from the launch presentation. How that translates to riders and ride sensation remains to be seen. I hope we see some reviews soon from honest riders and not just sensation clickbait youtubers. 

I’m not focusing on price, but on value.

And I’m also thinking at InMotion as a company. If they don’t price their product right they will not have sells.

(PS: Inflation comes for all the companies, not only for InMotion )

Edited by Paul g

7 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

On a recent group ride here in Aus i was surprised to see mostly orange bars on the front of wheels. Seems to be heaps of 13’s over this way. 

although the next ride WAS all sherms

Here in UK  I’m aware of only one, that’s SpeedyFeet 🙂

Edited by Paul g
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m sure that’s true. Inmotion has never tried to design wheels for the ones who only shop based on specs and don’t care about the usability, comfort, ergonomics, ride customizations, user experience, etc. The ones that aren’t written in the specs. This is not going to change. People will still buy the Extreme because it’s a bit cheaper, then use closer to a grand to replace the crappy shock, linkage, pads and pedals, while being happy that they didn’t buy the slightly more expensive wheel that doesn’t need any of those upgrades. A lot of people are completely blind to the bigger picture.

I don't disagree with what you are saying.  But, the Extreme can be purchased for $2300 on EUC Deals.  Once the $1000 in upgrades that you mentioned have been put on, it puts the super early bird price of the Adventure and the price of the fully farkled extreme at ~ the same price.  So, the question becomes - how well does the Adventure stack up and how much higher will its price go after the super early bird pricing ends?

If IM goes over $3600, I think they may struggle with sales.  It looks to be a great wheel and it brings a lot of great features, but how much more are customers willing to pay for those features.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying.  But, the Extreme can be purchased for $2300 on EUC Deals.  Once the $1000 in upgrades that you mentioned have been put on, it puts the super early bird price of the Adventure and the price of the fully farkled extreme at ~ the same price.  So, the question becomes - how well does the Adventure stack up and how much higher will its price go after the super early bird pricing ends?

If IM goes over $3600, I think they may struggle with sales.  It looks to be a great wheel and it brings a lot of great features, but how much more are customers willing to pay for those features.

Many will argue for lower price but yet products still sell. Inmotion is no different. 

Once we see review my bet is some will pay what it costs other not matter how low will not buy an Inmotion product. The V14 will be no diffret in this regard. 

Now I didn't buy a V13 because I don't need that speed and handling when not riding is above what my bad back handles. 

Now the V14 is apparently heavier than my V11. But I have some plans brewing so the V14's weight matters less. Yet not ideal to my taste/what my lower back handles. 

I do hope we see some reviews soon. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i think there are euc customers who:

1 - purchase a wheel cause they simply want that wheel, despite the numerous recorded problems with that same wheel.  they have the xtra time and money so they can work on the wheel to make it perform better.  it doesnt matter if in the end, the final costs of the wheel and upgrades amount to more than a better new wheel from a different manufacturer.  its more an emotional purchase than a logical purchase.  call it brand loyalty or some characteristic they value of that model cause of reviews, etc,... they are willing to put xtra time into the wheel to make it theirs and make it work the way they want to enjoy it.

2 - purchase a wheel cause they simply want that wheel,  and dont have the time to dicker with the thing.  they just want to have a wheel that has the least problems and enjoy the time riding it rather than taking it apart and modifying it and reassembling it over and over again...  if need be,  they can address stuff that is problematic but they prefer to purchase a wheel that is reviewed with having the least number of major problems.  they have the money - they dont have the time.

i fit in the #2 category.  i have the ability to take the thing apart and dick with it but why ?  i have work to take care of,  a partner to take care of,  and finally,  when i have some time,  to enjoy riding my wheel whether its commuting to and from work,  or riding around the city.  im sure there are other riders who have even more responsibilities and less time and they dont want to spend their precious time f'ing with a new wheel.

im patiently waiting for the V14 teardowns, and V14 rider evaluations.  the stats say one thing;  the actual real world riding,  and disassembly and examination will expose what the wheel is really about.  im crossing my fingers and hoping that the upcoming reviews and teardowns show promise of a great product which will demand the least input from an owner (other than normal maintenance and care).  otherwise,  i might be one of the few old fuckers left that are riding an archaic non suspended wheel... and supposeably there is gossip that veteran will be releasing something soon again but i dont know if thats really true or if its really meant for 2024... interesting times we live in currently from an euc POV...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, bpong said:

im patiently waiting for the V14 teardowns, and V14 rider evaluations.  the stats say one thing;  the actual real world riding,  and disassembly and examination will expose what the wheel is really about.  im crossing my fingers and hoping that the upcoming reviews and teardowns show promise of a great product which will demand the least input from an owner (other than normal maintenance and care).  otherwise,  i might be one of the few old fuckers left that are riding an archaic non suspended wheel.

Since you put yourself in the second category, that basically would rule out Begode wheels, and more likely than not, Extreme Bull wheels too.

Since you are coming from a T2, I thought you would also consider the S16 and S19 wheels from Kingsong. Just curious as to why are you not considering them?

You have been riding a T2 for a long time, like 5 years. I would surmise that waiting for the right wheel to come along would not be a problem for you.

You did not buy a Patton, and have seem to be evaluating the V14 at the moment as a possible next wheel. 

What I noticed is that come every new season comes more wheels that entices us to think they may be the wheel we have been wanting.

And whether we buy a new wheel or not, many of us would be anxiously waiting for the next wheel to be announced.

If we have the dsicipline to curb our purchase impulses, and just wait for another season, we could save some money and have one less wheel to sell. 

Instead of buying an S22 or Master, like I should have, I bought an Abrams instead, even though I have been wanting a suspension wheel since 2021.

On hindsight, I am not really regretting that decision. 

The Abrams is a really nice wheel to ride. And it made me realize that spec's and hype don't make a wheel. One really has to ride the wheels to come to a more accurate conclusion. Furthermore, just because a wheel has suspension, it doesn't necessarily make that wheel a better wheel than what I already ride.

You are in a good position since you already are an experienced rider, and you can go down to your local shop to test ride new wheels before purchase, and

the current trend is that both Veteran and Inmotion are coming out with genuinely improved wheels with each new release.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, techyiam said:

.., Instead of buying an S22 or Master, like I should have, I bought an Abrams instead, even though I have been wanting a suspension wheel since 2021.

On hindsight, I am not really regretting that decision. ...,

techyiam,

IMO,  your commentary noted above is probably one of the most important remarks regarding why we purchase a wheel, whether its suspended or non-suspended.  there are alot of comments made saying that suspension is the only way to go, from non-suspended.  i agree somewhat that the euc shopper is not obligated to make his next purchase a suspended wheel;  the shopper should purchase what they want,  and what they are comfortable with, not what is in fashion.

i had to try out some suspended wheels early this summer just to see what the fuss was about.  as it turns out,  it is a compelling thing to have on an euc and my next purchase will be a suspended wheel.  however, i also got to try out a RS19 and it was pretty cool too even though it was not suspended.  i want to make my next purchase reflect the current state of the euc and IMO, i see that suspension is a major innovation that i want to experience in my next ride.

am i giving up non-suspended eucs ?  not a chance, ... i wont be selling my old T2 after the next purchase.  i may however,  sell my old glide3 cause 3 eucs is 1 too many... i have also entertained the idea of replacing my T2 with an RS19 (high speed)  but the T2 has nothing wrong with it so it will stay in my small collection for the time being.

• Like 1