Inmotion V14 Adventure: a new trail wheel from Inmotion

techyiam

@Hellkitten

I have been watch Ride One review videos, and it seemed like police enforcement is lax?

Seb and his crew ride on main roads and split lanes left and right casually, as if it is OK to do so.

Are many euc riders in T.O. ride on main roads like it was on a small displacement motorcycle?

If this is the case, I can why there is a market for big fast wheels in Canada and the US.

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is some insightful data on the efficiency curve of the V14's motor, with the highest %s at the fastest rotational speeds.  We really need to find a lab in Shenzhen to do systematic testing for all the current Wheels at both the motor & machine level... 

The curves also showed that climbing a 45 degrees slope is less efficient than climbing a 25 degrees slope.

Most of my riding is well below 25 degrees slope, so it is efficient enough.

It seems like it is most efficient when climbing a shallow incline, at about half motor maximum speed or higher.

20 minutes ago, techyiam said:

The curves also showed that climbing a 45 degrees slope is less efficient than climbing a 25 degrees slope.

Most of my riding is well below 25 degrees slope, so it is efficient enough.

25 degrees is already very steep. 45 degrees you can find under bridges and some rare off-road place where the idea is to just show off. 

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

25 degrees is already very steep. 45 degrees you can find under bridges and some rare off-road place where the idea is to just show off. 

Exactly.

I ride exclusively on streets, so these graphs aren't going to help me in significant ways.

13 hours ago, techyiam said:

@Hellkitten

I have been watch Ride One review videos, and it seemed like police enforcement is lax?

Seb and his crew ride on main roads and split lanes left and right casually, as if it is OK to do so.

Are many euc riders in T.O. ride on main roads like it was on a small displacement motorcycle?

If this is the case, I can why there is a market for big fast wheels in Canada and the US.

Riding like this will get you in unwanted attention from the police in my area. It also means I am not watching anymore material from the posting channel. I am not going to assist youtuber with this ride style.

With suggested EU law for pve/EUC these riders will get us in trouble here in EU.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, techyiam said:

@Hellkitten

Even without things like splitting lanes, etc, the road infrastructure in the US/Canada is just different and in many places necessitates larger/faster wheels for safety. Europeans (not all, but many) often don't realize just how big geographically the US is and how poor the public transit system is for most of us. The US is a lot of suburban sprawl with high speed connecting roads over long distances. In order for me to get anywhere worthwhile, I have to be riding main roads with 30-40mph (48-60kmh) speed limits. Bike lanes don't exist on a lot of these roads, so it's either sidewalk or road. If I'm needing to keep pace with traffic at those speeds, I need a wheel capable of 50mph in order to do it safely.

The way people ride big/fast wheels on those roads doesn't have to be reckless and/or violating all the traffic laws. But in the US/Canada, outside of an urban city core, 50mph wheels (even if not ridden at 50mph) are almost a necessity in order to be able to safely traverse the road system.

Europe and the cities in Europe have existed for a thousand years or more before the invention of cars. Even the major US cities were only around for ~100 years before cars dominated transport. Most of the suburban US was built after cars. Fundamentally, the living centers of the US/Canada were built around high speed automobiles, and that affects the kinds of PEV's we need.

Edited by eezo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, eezo said:

Fundamentally, the living centers of the US/Canada were built around high speed automobiles, and that affects the kinds of PEV's we need.

What is different also is that in conjunction, the police enforcement in the US seem to be more lienient than other parts of the world maybe. 

1 hour ago, eezo said:

Even without things like splitting lanes, etc, the road infrastructure in the US/Canada is just different and in many places necessitates larger/faster wheels for safety. Europeans (not all, but many) often don't realize just how big geographically the US is and how poor the public transit system is for most of us. The US is a lot of suburban sprawl with high speed connecting roads over long distances. In order for me to get anywhere worthwhile, I have to be riding main roads with 30-40mph (48-60kmh) speed limits. Bike lanes don't exist on a lot of these roads, so it's either sidewalk or road. If I'm needing to keep pace with traffic at those speeds, I need a wheel capable of 50mph in order to do it safely.

The way people ride big/fast wheels on those roads doesn't have to be reckless and/or violating all the traffic laws. But in the US/Canada, outside of an urban city core, 50mph wheels (even if not ridden at 50mph) are almost a necessity in order to be able to safely traverse the road system.

Europe and the cities in Europe have existed for a thousand years or more before the invention of cars. Even the major US cities were only around for ~100 years before cars dominated transport. Most of the suburban US was built after cars. Fundamentally, the living centers of the US/Canada were built around high speed automobiles, and that affects the kinds of PEV's we need.

That is one view. I doubt anyone in road safety will say weaving in and out in traffic should be praised and adopted by everyone. Also considering riding at 50mph on an EUC is safe in public traffic either. The big difference here is an EUC need to combat balance a moped or mc doesn't. This is however not unique to the V14. But my point from earlier is still I do not approve of youtubers try to look cool with reckless riding behaviour. That goes on the V14 as on any EUC and I choose to word this clearly. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Also considering riding at 50mph on an EUC is safe in public traffic either.

If the traffic averages 50/55mph on most back roads and 75-85mph on most highways then in order to traverse most US suburban roads your "safest" bet is to stay with traffic. If you are going slower than the traffics usual speed then cars start to pile up behind you and drivers get very inpatient. The risk goes up exponentially as they attempt to pass you at speeds higher than average as well as pulling risky maneuvers with oncoming traffic. This city riding in and out of cars and through red lights and cutting people off in crosswalks is just plain ignorant and stupid. But as @eezo was trying to explain is that people in the US get crazy if you are holding them up and most high speed back roads don't have sidewalks and not enough room for 2 trucks and an EUC side by side so getting passed is far more dangerous IMO than just staying with traffic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, bpong said:

where they rode the wheels on this massive rock/sculpture is where i work.  the building and grounds are now managed by George Brown College.  if i had caught them riding their eucs during the daytime,  in that manner along the back of the building beside the water,  i wouldn't hesitate to first ask them to leave.  if that didnt work,  i would contact building security who in turn would contact the police.  its the Corus Quay building,  and beside us is Sugar Beach (which we thoughfully call "needle beach".  use your imagination... there is alot of pedestrian traffic during the day,  and into the evening.  the restaurant in the rear of the building has their own outdoor patio which is fenced off and not used during these winter months.  if they do their 'shit' during the non peak hours, it will be fine i believe... they have ridden in this area before and up and down queens quay and yee haa...

i understand eezo,  what you are saying about the way people ride.  but rideone demo riders are riding recklessly,  and in city traffic.  in some parts of the V14 video, one rider temporarily rides off center in the oncoming traffic lane, endangering themselves.  in another part of the video,  the demo rider zooms by pedestrian foot traffic on the bike way that is near the cherry st. bridge.  all this reflects badly on our euc community.  im sure yes, blah blah blah we are all wanna be rebels, wanna be vigilantes,  paper tigers, paper lions,  etc,... riding our eucs zooming around this way and that... until some rider hurts a bystander or damages private property.  then the WAY euc riders ride their wheels becomes a liability to our pev community.

and to say that we need faster eucs because of the design of the roads ? really ? the roads were designed for vehicular traffic.  they were not designed for reckless euc riders.  perhaps what you are really hinting at is that traffic laws should accommodate other users of the roads aside from autos and tractor-trailers... as for mass transit,  the toronto subway systems traverses more of the city now than an euc rider could ever ride in a days worth or riding.  and its moving thousands of passengers.

thumbs up for their video review on the CU of the V14 euc and partial teardown,  that was a great part of the video.  but again,  the reckless riding,  only serves to portray euc riders as idiots on their electric toys.  for once, it would be great to see eucs in a better light,  other than the "street fuckery" that is so commonly displayed in various euc review videos.

None of what you say is incompatible with anything I said. Everything you said is correct. And also, it's incredibly shortsighted to think that your experience and whether or not you need a high speed wheel is what everyone across the world needs.

52 minutes ago, eezo said:

... And also, it's incredibly shortsighted to think that your experience and whether or not you need a high speed wheel is what everyone across the world needs.

eezo,  thnx for your reply.  i dont need a high speed wheel, you are correct about that.  but i dont think im being short sighted when im concerned about the future of how euc riders are perceived as... and what the world needs now,  has nothing to do with eucs to begin with...

1 hour ago, jacobjj said:

Friends just bought v14's and they won't go over 50km/h? They can't figure out what is limiting, any ideas?

Previous models had an direct correlation between the selected value of the "Pedal Hardness" and the actual speed limit. Starting from a certain level, when the "Pedal Hardness" decreases, the maximum speed is cut. For V12HS, in comfort mode, this level is 57%, at this value the maximum speed is still 70 km/h (full charged), in off-road mode, the "Pedal Hardness" limit without reducing the maximum speed is 76%.
And of course, the actual speed limit depends on the amount of battery charge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pedal hardness increases my speed limit on my Ninebot, so that certainly stands to reason, that there is a correlation. Inmotion might be the opposite. Oh, wait you said pedal softness decreases speed limit, doh!

Edited by iwantmymtv
one more thing

10 minutes ago, Cobaltsaber said:

To get this back on topic, I noticed rideone calling the v14 a great street wheel. I really dont think the v14 is geared towards street riding, but I guess in the middle of winter they cant really test the v14 offroad

I have not ridden the V14 yet. But thinking of KS16x when it came out, it turn out to be a great city wheel due to the 16x3" tire that was not form standard at the time. It too have high torque vs many other wheels but due to Kingsong bulked under pressure for high speed some riders got surprised how fast they reached cut out speed because there wasn't enough safety margin to react with the raised top speed. It too performed rather good for off road and trail riders too. Now the way I see the V14 it is a modern KS16x with suspension. It means that it is nimble and fast to react both accelerating and when breaking. I suspect that the battery packs can keep up with reverse discharge from braking especially if you get the 50S version.

Since I am not going to use it as full speed it hopefully should go great within the perimeter I expect to use it. It also would mean it should provide me with more range as I don't ride super fast. I ride mostly at moped speeds unless on rare occasion go city center/downtown. As long I ride the bike lanes on the suburban areas and into country side I ride at 30kmh adv at 40-45top cruising speed and mostly empty bike lanes. Inner city speed is 15-25kmh due to bad road and bike lanes and crowded traffic. If I am in what translate into pedestrian streets (no motorized traffic) I am at 3-10kmh. As long I keep it under 6kmh we class as pedestrians here in Sweden.

In general I prefer to ride without power pads. Helps me not to ride too aggressively and get overconfident.

At this point I guess I am 85% sure to put an order on the V14. It is cold winter here not so no point in buying it right now. Yesterday I went to city center with black ice patched and harden snow and ice on some areas. Not ideal for euc rides. And freaking cold at -10C. The V11 did fine though and it used only 150wh for the 7,5km ride and properly same on the return trip. The bigger question for me though what tire I can find that suits the way I ride. My experience is that if pattern is solid on centerline of the tire it acts as slicks and that is very bad combo with wet streets and high torque.

What I think could be a super nice feature would be if you could connect the EUC with esim (as like IoT) to track it in case of theft but also when charging. Since I now store my EUC in a garage 200m from my flat.

6 hours ago, Cobaltsaber said:

my EX30 provides and ride in a respectful manner. In some parts of the outer city, you simply need a faster wheel to keep up with traffic to be safer. I truly do believe in that. The power of these faster wheels allows you to ride more un-intrusively as you meld together with traffic flow.

If you don't mind my asking:

(1) What tire is on your EX30 when you ride it with the flow of traffic?

(2) Are police "looking the other way" when they see you riding with the speed of traffic in a car lane on your EX30?

(3) How do you convince yourself to trust your EX30 enough to ride with cars following behind you at speeds?

• Upvote 1