First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

20 minutes ago, Josiah said:

hit the ground

Maybe have a basic first aid kit for future rides.

A plastic zip lock bag containing band-aids, alcohol wipes in sealed packets, small travel sized bottle of hand sanitizer, paper napkins, pain killer tablets etc.

A waist bag with separate compartments, is lightweight, has an easy clip on/off.

Great for carrying a torch, batteries, phone, wallet etc.

Bum_Bag_Grey_HK6490_01_standard.jpg

• Like 1

With some knee and shin guards, they might be designed and shaped so that there is a right and left guard.

The guards might be shaped to cover the outside of the calf more.

However, the clips might also be positioned on the outer side, which seems to be exposing them to damage.

Not sure how Leatts are designed and shaped.

17 hours ago, Paul A said:

Maybe have a basic first aid kit for future rides.

69912FFA-9CD4-45D1-86FD-23DC9B95CFC3.jpeg
splint, trauma sheers, Israeli bandage, tourniquet, gauze and self adhesive compression tape.  That’s the most critical things in there and basically what a soldier carries minus the pneumolthorax kit (needle for draining fluid out of the chest cavity)

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

No but that’s a good idea!  But it is just a precaution for life.

We can apply for a what they call a concealed carry permit. I’m terrible with paperwork should have this but I don’t so I’ll leave it at home.  Anyway, that’s not the type of protection that would  be helpful in an euc crash.

Edited by Josiah

It's a good idea to have a little first aid kit. I have a few plasters and whatnot in my backpack, along with a few things I could feasibly use as splints, along with a small roll of gaffa tape and another of electrical tape in case either my plasters run out, or the machine needs patching up, and a pump, but so far I have managed to resist the weaponry :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Cerbera said:

It's a good idea to have a little first aid kit. I have a few plasters and whatnot in my kit backpack, along with a few things I could feasibly use as splints, along with a small roll of gaffa tape and another of electrical tape in case either my plasters run out, or the machine needs patching up, and a pump, but so far I have managed to resist the weaponry :)

Cerb  that is such a good point. In the event of a crash you need an israel bandage. Do you know what that is?

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Josiah said:

And the advantage of a crash you need and is really bandage. Do you know what that is?

Er... I understand the individual words in that sentence, but not necessarily what they mean in that order ! ;) 

• Haha 2

I've just seen about your day 1 crash ! Well at least you got that out of the way ! :)  I would echo the 'too fast, too soon' sentiments above, but add the word 'waaay' into the mix ! :) You don't have the right muscles built up to the right level yet to be able to control a wheel at high speed, and that will be a shitload worse on the V13, so be warned - it really does take time to build up to speed on these crazy machines...

Some damage to the TSG I see. I trust that is superficial, and you didn't actually land on it, otherwise you'll be needing another helmet !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

Hey guys, round two night ride day one: I was doing pretty good. Ran around town found a cool parking garage to do several figure eights, different speeds between slow and fast.  Then got back on the road to go home went to just under 28 miles an hour because I didn’t hear the beep when I got into crazy speed wobbles. I’ve been experiencing speed wobbles quite a bit. But this time I forgot the option of slowing down.  

I’m not sure what the rules are on the farm but I ate SHI**T  as soon as I hit the ground, a slowly getting composure and crawled off the street when two vehicles pulled over to ask me if I was OK and needed a ride home. I said hey thank you so much. I’m a block away from home . I’m sorry for the disturbance.   Thank you again for stopping the helmet and all the safety gear helped out a lot. I feel fine. I had a few repeated questions from the same person just to make sure I was OK.  Did a few more figure eights in a different parking lot closer to home to calm down after the crash wheels OK I am OK. Holy cow!

What's your PSI in tire.. I often had wobbles at beginning, when i "personally 125kg" went over anything 30psi. While you are learning lowering psi may help. Because at 28psi i din't have any wobbles anymore. (Maybe 3-5 over a year.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

BTW, if you want to amp up your skills in a hurry, divert onto the dirt walking paths and grass and stuff. There's something about off pavement that really kicks the muscle memory into high gear.

I can confirm this 100%. I learned on sandy/grassy forest pathway. 3rd day i went onto pavement for the first time. OHH BOY.. What can i say. I at start was like WTF!!! It felt like i was gliding.. No bumps no nothing. It was so effortless to ride. It felt like day/night difference. Like suddenly i activated "easy mode". The same 3rd day was when i was riding true city/people. 

Riding off-road 1 hour is like riding 12 hours on smooth pavement...

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Welcome to the insanity. I hope you're saving for a V14 or EBCP or MTen or MasPro—cuz you sound like one that has caught "the disease" and it won't be long until you're checking in with the financial advisor about additional expenditures.

Can't say much about this. As i didn't catch that disease. :D I need only 1 wheel - no more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Josiah said:

Sorry, if I offended you guys, I am a veteran in the US military and similar to the Swiss. We believe any person who has served in the military, should be able to possess a personal side arm.   Also I believe that “any person“ should be within their rights to carry or possess the same.  Double sorry now I feel like I’ve offended all my buddies here.  Let me say one last thing if it’s illegal to carry a SideArm, then the only person with one will be a criminal.  
Having said that, I should get my piece out of my pack so I can carry some first aid gear legally.  

Totally understandable for carrying a sidearm, but carry it in legal manner of getting a CCW permit.

Sorry to some of you who just read my post, I decided to delete my experience and probably put it in appropriate thread on another time.  But will say that "better safe than sorry" attitude habit can save you in many ways. Stay safe and enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Impoy47
Stated in response.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Josiah said:

Cerb  that is such a good point. In the advent of a crash you need an israel bandage. Do you know what that is?

I've not heard of this Israeli bandage (dressing) before so naturally I looked it up. I decided to take a look at a older video first. Interesting stuff, learned something new. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Josiah changed the title to First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13