First Five Days on Other Wheels: Now On to the V13

Josiah

Replaced the left side with new battery,  left it unplugged to charge up the original right side.  After that I might reverse that and charge the new side to full before powering it on and putting everything back together.  

D497251F-2BD9-4977-B7EC-CEB5CFAC9F52.thumb.jpeg.2a4bfa14d33beedf8a2236c16fa972b9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FedEx brought me the battery this morning but they can’t take it at their store so I have to bring it to a special distribution location tomorrow. They won’t accept battery shipments probably because of the fire hazard.  

I told her you shipped it to me this morning when she said she wouldn’t take it. And she said will take it but just not here you have to take it somewhere else.lol

It’s a good reminder that these are still considered to be a fire hazard but inmotions potted batteries have to be safer

Edited by Josiah

I suspect you have a F'dEx shipping label from Jason... I dispatched some batteries via UPS a couple weeks ago, stickered it with the UN3481 (installed in equipment, the battery cases), declared the package contained LiIon batteries on the shipping form and it went ground across the country no problem. Dropped it off at the UPS store.

• Like 2

Looking good.  Will stopped a while ago at 50% charged that makes sense because there’s only half the total pack installed.  I don’t know why I was expecting it to get to 100 with only one side charging.

added hot glue to these connections as per @Punxatawneyjoe’s instructions.  As soon as the gun gets hot, I unplug it before applying the glue because I don’t want it to be so hot that I could damage the wires.

4EDB6BE6-907F-4055-9C9F-8DE3C33E891A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

They won’t accept battery shipments probably because of the fire hazard.  

https://www.freightnews.co.za/article/record-us11m-fine-after-lithium-battery-explosion

January 5, 2018

Record US$1.1m fine after lithium battery explosion

The dangers of carrying lithium batteries by air was once again in the spotlight after aviation regulators in the United States imposed a record fine of US$1.1 million last month.

The US Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) proposed the hefty fine following an incident in June last year where a shipment of lithium batteries caught fire while being transported on a FedEx truck –  shortly after it had been transported on an aircraft – resulting in the total destruction of the vehicle.

FedEx truck catches fire on Ohio Turnpike

1.5K views

June 6, 2017

The truck was carrying lithium batteries.

8 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

rebuilding a carburetor, you weren't using an impact.

Impact gun is of course an overkill, and difficult in size for these things. I was talking about electric screwdrivers and such. I rarely tighten the screw with the motor, just use it for the rest of the screwing where it really makes no difference whether you use hand tools or electric. Other than electrics getting you there 10x faster.

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

Will stopped a while ago at 50% charged that makes sense because there’s only half the total pack installed.  I don’t know why I was expecting it to get to 100 with only one side charging.

Because that’s how EUCs usually work. They must have decided to show the battery meter as half on the V13 to make sure the rider is informed that only one battery is in use.

AFAIK all other EUCs calculate the battery percentage directly from the voltage, no matter how many packs are installed. And one pack’s voltage is the same as for two packs, so a single battery would also show as 100%.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I was talking about electric screwdrivers and such

Fair enough, i think we were talking about 2 different tools. An inline electric screwdriver is much different than i was thinking, my bad. I was envisioning this...

nk-kh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah I used those for hanging the tv for the IM videos and making my temporary wheel stand.  

that drill does have a speed control and torque setting that can be set super soft.  Not so much with the impact though.  I have one dewalt impact with a torque setting but not sure if it’s reliable.

next time I’ll use this little guy. 

1F65D330-7513-4DF6-87AA-7A13C7A1DA7E.thumb.jpeg.7f01346365f4107f2527f4868da5179e.jpeg

95DFEFBB-7B8E-4B00-B768-1513DB449380.thumb.jpeg.9f24cd0d0f55f05e787706b5a38c0294.jpeg

This bolt here is a mile long with a tight thread count.  It would be easier on the wrist to switch to an electric too for the rear bumper.  Those little electric screw drivers they use in the IM videos look nice.  They use them for all the bolts.

Edited by Josiah

Just got back from the FedEx shipping hub. Turns out this battery is big enough requiring me to go through a third-party shipping and freight and company or I have to get certified at shipsafeshipsmart.com and then go through a somewhat lengthy process (1-2 week) through a FedEx shipping agent. The package then needs to be properly labeled and coded.  

They’ve had lithium batterie fires.  The good news is my fireproof package storage area is almost complete.  

26D1F167-96EA-4132-A77E-77F425309FD6.thumb.jpeg.c9184963101615391d0749e875e57d15.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 3/13/2023 at 12:34 PM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Fair enough, i think we were talking about 2 different tools.

Seems like it, yes. :lol: I’m talking about these babies (11Nm) and this kind of usage:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2B8162C8-1E6C-40A8-B647-AC5372C47A6C.thumb.jpeg.530ca5c925061e0abb7e9189e19ae167.jpeg

Fun little 8 mile this morning. Reached a new top speed for sure. Did a lot of trail riding single track some steep up and downhill off road.  

Still have speed wobbles and I need to pay more attention.  Clipped a sign post with the right pedal and belly flopped hard to the ground.  Also just about ran through an intersection that had just changed to red in heavy traffic.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Clipped a sign post with the right pedal

Welcome to the dirt! If you haven't read anywhere, dirt riding puts your learning curve on steroids... partly because of pedal clips!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Clipped a sign post with the right pedal and belly flopped hard to the ground.

Somebody needs to give that man an award for 'most amount of unplanned dismounts' - it's making my '1 fall every 6 months' average look like I'm phoning it in !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

EDF26A21-ECA8-4592-B4B9-2E42D9B73F2C.thumb.jpeg.32ddeb58d71a60d957a43d5f7205dc21.jpeg

I got a bunch of really big drops and cleared one huge double. Tried turning birm mode off because every time I crash, the tire spins out making huge scene and shoots rocks everywhere. But I turned burm mode right back on cause It just drop me on my face in the little jumps.

Also after that it jumped out in front of me out of the blue and went down hard on my tail bone. 

278222EA-D655-4304-A64B-CBDEE72F61C2.thumb.jpeg.0969554351288431bf4f66aae05d7ecd.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 3