Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

Sure @litewave

Helmet Quick Release Buckle Kit Ratcheted Stainless Steel Helmet Chin Strap Adapter https://a.co/d/1BCTSsG

Didn’t have to cut the straps.  Only remove the clamped on male button from the one side.  I was planning on saving that in case I want to go back to the d rings but it shot across the room and we can’t find the piece.

I think I’m happy with the ratchet strap and I wouldn’t go back.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

Just a point of interest, if anyone cares. Double D-ring enclosures are by a long margin the safest and most reliable way of tying a helmet to you. Every other method is inferior in some way or another to that original system, which is why it is still found on TSGs and the highest end MC helmets there are. I am told 'proper' bikers, (whoever they are) don't take helmets seriously unless they have D ring closure.

That said, I have a spare winter helmet with a quick-lock one that seems sturdy enough and resists a good deal of yanking and hitting from below, even though I have seen the charts that show it fails way before the D-ring in a pressure / pull test. The question is, I guess, are we going fast enough on our EUCs for that closure method to have to be the best one ? I suspect not. 

I'm damn good at Double D ring fastening now, which I have done so often I can do it blindfold in my sleep, but I needed to ingest some tea at the top of a huge hill today, and was wearing thick leather Winter gloves which I am the first to confess made it damn awkward, and need multiple attempts ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

How are you supposed to get it in and off with frozen fingers.

Well, you're wearing gloves, so fingers shouldn't be frozen ! So just take off the gloves surely ? Well yes, but with the amount of stuff clinging precariously to my arms actually getting down to the gloves takes longer than a few seconds fumbling with a helmet despite them ! In warmer seasons I have much thinner cycling gloves which are no impediment at all to D-ring fastening.

• Upvote 1

I have three helmets, one D ring, one magnetic quick clip, one ratchet. I much prefer the magnetic one over any of the others. I’ve considered getting the adapter kits for my other straps, but I haven’t bothered. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Josiah said:

It seams way easier to manage than the D rings 

Also easier to break off at crash.. When you head hits the ground. You "MAY" break off and helmet goes off your head. :D 

I took that chance.. As i hated to play each time with those "D" straps..

Edited by Funky

I will stick to my strapless wonder. I do have another helmet that is a ratchet and its fine enough.  Used to have d rings and they are fine too. But I don't think I will ever go back to straps. Its a little like going from non- suspension to suspension.  Everything is just so much better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Josiah said:

How are you supposed to get it in and off with frozen fingers.

Some helmets will have a longer chin strap (we called these a "postman" strap in the firehouse) with the idea being that you do not ever undo the D rings. You simply run the strap really slack when you want to remove the helmet, and just pull the thing tight when you put it on. But you never undo it.

Helmet straps intended for this will usually be a little longer, and have something to stop you from pulling the strap all the way through the DRings - either the end of the strap will be doubled over and stitched, or there will be a button pushed through it etc to act as a stop as seen below.

image.png.89e6346b236018b961c10a23eaff36b7.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

I will stick to my strapless wonder. I do have another helmet that is a ratchet and its fine enough.  Used to have d rings and they are fine too. But I don't think I will ever go back to straps. Its a little like going from non- suspension to suspension.  Everything is just so much better.

"Strapless wonder?" Are you wearing a bra on your head? (sorry, couldn't resist). :laughbounce2:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

On the material?

Yes don't land on that ;) Also note Leatt Dual Axis doesn't protect calves from dog bites from behind !

You need a layer over the top of the Leatt Body suit ideally. Doesn't absolutely have to be a kevlar riding jacket - any jacket at all will mitigate most of the damage to the Leatt, but of course it won't survive itself, whereas the kevlar ones will live to ride another day...

What I did was buy one of those dual-layer split-able jackets, with a warm fleecy underlayer, and a wind / waterproof thinner outer. That way I can have inner one under the armour if it's cold, the outer one over the top of the armour as well if it's wet, or any combo thereof as dictated by weather. Recently though, I have been wearing the outer coat regardless of weather, simply to protect the bodysuit, and in those situations where the stormtrooper look need playing down a bit ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Paul A said:

What if impact is not on a guarded area of the Leatt?

If you look closely at that video he didn’t have the elbow pads in the right position that was his elbow that hit.   unless it was in the right position but the impact slid it over to the side in which case maybe it’s still protected from a fracture but he ended up with road rash.

7 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Nice, which model is that?? If just bought a Leatt 6.5 Body protector without the jacket, I hope it holds up.

5.5 body armor

Leatt 5.5 Body Protector https://a.co/d/hnVnZkk

I’m guessing yours is a newer model with some upgrades.

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Josiah said:

he didn’t have the elbow pads in the right position that was his elbow that hit

I wonder if his arm zips weren't done all the way up. They can easily slip sometimes I find, and even when fully attached, they only go half way around the arm, so even when fully closed there is still a chance of that elbow pad slipping if you land on it wrong. But less so if there is a jacket over the top to better hold things in place.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Leatt 5.5 Body Protector https://a.co/d/hnVnZkk

I’m guessing yours is a newer model with some upgrades.

Yeah yours appears to have the same coverage as mine but looks different. I hope we never have to test it out! :mellow:

https://fortnine.ca/en/leatt-6-5-pro-chest-protector

• Like 1