Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

17 hours ago, litewave said:

The TSG Pass is ASTM-rated for downhill skateboarding. Ever watched a longboard video on YouTube or attended a race in person? Longboards regularly hit speeds of 60-80mph. The world record is over 90mph. Many longboarders wear the TSG Pass/Pro such as Josh Neuman. Longboarders often ride among cars, some ride even on highways

As for making generalizations, my advice is based on seven years of riding experience and being an active member on this site. Additionally, I have owned a TSG Pass Pro since 2018 and use it often, and have crashed and hit my head twice on pavement while riding with it. Based on the number of videos posted to this site, I think the TSG Pass/Pro appears to be the most popular helmet in our community. I think we would have heard something by now in this forum if someone had been injured badly while wearing the Pass/Pro.

Very valid points. I think the difference in our thinking comes from how we see the risk. I don't doubt that the TSG Pass would be more than ample in sliding type crashes as long as you don't hit anything abruptly. I personally am more concerned with blunt force trauma and concussion created by an impact with a vehicle or hitting a solid object. So to me the TSG Pass doesn't have the necessary impact protection I want to use. But thats just my opinion based on my experience. You have a different opinion and thats totally ok. I have used, crashed  and injured myself severely on motorcycles since 1992 so my experience is different to yours. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Guys, this is going the way of pointless duplication again. There are already multiple fire / fire safety threads... can we not keep this one about riding protection ?

Good Point Cerbera,  it’s seems somewhat related to the thread because you could pack fire related safety gear but I agree we’re off topic.  It is enjoyable to go on with the community with live conversation.  But the down side is someone reading the thread for specific information in the future would have to sift through to get what there looking for.

• Thanks 1

CE level 2 knee pads might be better for hip protection.

Stitch heavy duty Velcro onto the inside of pants at hip. 

Self adhesive/glue Velcro onto the knee pad.

Better to have the hooks on the pad....loops on the pants.

If on occasions the pad is not used, there are no hooks digging into skin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6CSyelHNumII84sq3Nm0

• Like 2

On 1/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, litewave said:

I have owned a TSG Pass Pro since 2018 and use it often, and have crashed and hit my head twice on pavement while riding with it

Point of order, and yes, it is a nit-pick, but...

Your helmet hit the pavement and you can use the helmet again?

Twice?

That's not how or why helmets are judged, friend.

image.png.f48d650c64eed4a61f31ba9cd7f9f4da.png

@sbb

You’re right.  But maybe he got a new one each time?  Seems overkill to replace it if it’s not damaged.  Impossible to know for sure if it’s compromised.  Just on principal alone I understand the practice but it seems a waist.  I guess better safe than sorry.

Military issued parachutes, body armor and helmets don’t get the same treatment.  Use, fall, use again, fall again, use again.  There built for that and there’s a budget to work with that doesn’t include replacing gear that often.

Edited by Josiah

1 hour ago, sbb said:

Point of order, and yes, it is a nit-pick, but...

Your helmet hit the pavement and you can use the helmet again?

Twice?

That's not how or why helmets are judged, friend.

image.png.f48d650c64eed4a61f31ba9cd7f9f4da.png

My TSG Pass Pro's integrity wasn't compromised, and the scratch on the helmet was only superficial and cosmetic. Basically, the helmet bounced off the chin in the first crash, and on the rear in the second fall. The shell is carbon fiber.

Your guidelines are probably derived from policies of sponsored race teams and events. In the non-competitive real world, no one replaces a helmet unless it's structurally damaged, unless they are pro riders with a business income, or the helmet has a replacement warranty as Bell offers.

As for the old Vietnam-era 2-piece brain buckets, and later the heavy kevlar helmets that replaced them, most supply sergeants would only give you a new one if the shell was no longer serviceable.

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

There built for that and

Josh,

You do understand that the steel WW2 helmet I pictured offers basically zero protection in a fall, right? The durability of the helmet is irrelevant.

What he offered is nothing more than the Snell marketing pitch. And that's fine, but that the helmet wasn't damaged isn't really metric we care about.

Edited by sbb
clarify
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Josiah said:

These a good idea to throw on under the motorcycle pants?  :whistling:

CD1768D8-6409-4BF4-B8F8-82D51881C853.thumb.jpeg.4f1175698a71c3fc9f1dc4d27593f73c.jpeg

Overkill unless you are at a greater risk of hip fracture (over 65, have osteoporosis, etc.) or are riding on some very rough off-road terrain. Definitely not practical for everyday (sub-)urban riding. Putting on all that extra, arguably unnecessary in some cases, gear quickly becomes a hassle.

8 minutes ago, sbb said:

You do understand that the steel WW2 helmet I pictured offers basically zero protection in a fall, right? The durability of the helmet is irrelevant.

What he offered is nothing more than the Snell marketing pitch. And that's fine, but it isn't really "a thing."

The US Army's 2-piece (helmet liner + "steel pot") was worn until it was replaced in the early-mid 1980s. The design was essentially unchanged from WWII for decades. It was, in fact, commonly believed that the helmets did offer impact protection from falls (bad PLF, for example) and frags. You didn't have any choice but to wear it, believe in it, and hope for the best.

Edited by litewave

14 hours ago, The Brahan Seer said:

Very valid points. I think the difference in our thinking comes from how we see the risk. I don't doubt that the TSG Pass would be more than ample in sliding type crashes as long as you don't hit anything abruptly. I personally am more concerned with blunt force trauma and concussion created by an impact with a vehicle or hitting a solid object. So to me the TSG Pass doesn't have the necessary impact protection I want to use. But thats just my opinion based on my experience. You have a different opinion and thats totally ok. I have used, crashed  and injured myself severely on motorcycles since 1992 so my experience is different to yours. 

I purchased a TLD SE4 Motocross helmet (DOT FMVSS 218 and ECE 22.05 certifications) last summer for the same reason: to wear while riding my imaginary S22 in traffic at 35-40+mph. I canceled the wheel order in the Fall when delivery was delayed over two months, but am back on the list for an upgraded S22 arriving (hopefully) soon. So far, riding at 20-25mph on my MCM in the SE4 is overkill. It's bulbous and 4-500g heavier than the D4 TLD MTB helmets I own. But most of the TLD helmets look cool. :efee6b18f3:

I have had motorcycles but never crashed. I understand your point of view, and wish you peace of mind and safe riding in whatever gear you prefer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Josiah said:

These a good idea to throw on under the motorcycle pants?

I use the Dainese Hard armour shorts under normal board shorts in the summer. I also have motorcycle jeans that have them built in ( most do these days) so you won't need to use these as well. Main benefit of hip protection is it stops any pain if you do fall. Bear in mind I do more trick kind of riding than anything else so I fall quite often. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2023 at 6:30 AM, litewave said:

Putting on all that extra, arguably unnecessary in some cases, gear quickly becomes a hassle.

This is a very valid point. If gear feels uncomfortable, or is a hassle to put on then we more often than not won't bother. Gear we like to use is probably the most important aspect to consider. Ultimately no level of protection  guarantees anything. The faster we go the less effective it all becomes. Speed really does kill.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:46 AM, Impoy47 said:

LED break light for the back of your helmet

Brake Free Light

Regular price $169.99

Steel Mate Light

Regular price $59.99

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-MATE-Motorcycle-Rechargeable-Indicators/dp/B08RJ25PGV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=steel+mate+wireless&qid=1674312389&sr=8-2

STEEL MATE H3 Wireless Helmet Brake Light and Running Light for Motorcycle Safety Rechargeable LED Signal Light for Helmet (Included ECU)

$59.99
Spoiler

51XPz5Y6iMS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71KU4QOzKmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71HoGu5i2bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61cdXKI9YhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71hyCgiWmdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Paul A
reducing display space
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

Brake Free Light

Regular price $169.99

Steel Mate Light

Regular price $59.99

https://www.amazon.com/STEEL-MATE-Motorcycle-Rechargeable-Indicators/dp/B08RJ25PGV/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=steel+mate+wireless&qid=1674312389&sr=8-2

STEEL MATE H3 Wireless Helmet Brake Light and Running Light for Motorcycle Safety Rechargeable LED Signal Light for Helmet (Included ECU)

$59.99

51XPz5Y6iMS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71KU4QOzKmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71HoGu5i2bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61cdXKI9YhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71hyCgiWmdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Much better price.  I'd buy that.. thanks!! 

3 minutes ago, Impoy47 said:

I'd buy that

Might need to click on the link, and view the installation video before purchasing.

The H2 model, without the indicators, might be more applicable.

Didn't watch the install video completely.

• Like 1