Personal Preferences for Protective Gear

Maybe consider a leather, two piece, motorcycle suit, custom made to measure.

Cost of motorcycle suit may be less than the total cost of componentry gear.

The jacket zips onto the pants.

The shoulder, elbows, back, knees have sleeves for inserting CE level 2 guards.

Full body coverage, that will remain in the correct position upon a crash/slide/tumble.

Gear that rely on: Velcro straps, elastic mesh/sleeves, buckles, thin plastic guards, etc, may fail in keeping the protective gear in its correct positioning.

Extremes of temperature can be mitigated with use of battery heated vest / ice vest, when required.

One example of a listing.

There will be other sellers, different designs, prices, etc.

*Ask sellers if 'full grain leather' is used, it is the toughest grade, highest quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284702489829?var=586374324448&hash=item4249973ce5:g:qRoAAOSw2QViBrYU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8C89oYR1Kt9jE2SjaxrObIkUQJfyGn63QRz0DHQ%2BXCTNdBdmEL3e7YkdSgkLKLbMLwCEZRPIDiFwq0Nmkd1hbhS%2Bv%2BPL35lqkFkETkh59sDMsylVIg9jZUtrw%2F%2BHcJoSSRIzj%2BnynU2WX3kTwoK1D9FleRp0yikK4pDMvqV7LO78MxhO9t9VCIBCoPCCtGE4bjqrH156N%2BggscHE1iofQqVLSLvxLNRpZwBVlqHBCLJQ1QOvbP9bWIKvMas4R1uBRBdtHzkJVqeOg%2BH%2Fk478fPj3GBt2%2BgiNU0nHO4NyCMW1YcnSDu%2B3spWql0p7keSmsg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR4LAn5e0YQ

Berik Motorbike Suit Motorcycle Suit Bike Leather Leder Biker One TWO Piece

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Paul A
  • Like 1

High speed crashes with none or little gear are survivable, though not advisable.

The four known worldwide EUC fatalities have involved being struck by a vehicle.  Cars (two), bus, garbage truck.

High speed crashes with gear, have less severe consequences.

Dislocated shoulder in the Gotway Tesla video crash.

• Thanks 1

A boot of synthetic material would not offer any abrasion resistance.

Pants of cotton material would not offer any abrasion resistance.....only in the areas protected by the hip and knee guards. 

The listing does not specify that the guards are CE level 2.  They may be the low quality CE grade.

Please note the damage to the boots in this video.

Please note the location of the shoulder abrasion.  On the back.  Illustrates that in a crash, with tumbling in all directions, it is unpredictable of where impact(s) will be.

All over coverage might be required.  Not selective locations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_W89gAx-bw

Edited by Paul A
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:52 PM, litewave said:

Too bad the TSG Pass is no longer manufactured in white: a set of white Leatt Dual-axis, white TSG Pass, and white chest protector would definitely complete the Stormtrooper look.

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 23.48.42.png

If you wanted a TSG style helmet in white, I found this on Ebay .  I have atleast 6 motorcycle helmets in my MC days and 2 full face mtn bike helmets but this would be nice add this to my collection but I have a white helmet already.

Btw, I wear this bright high vis yellow jacket that first responder use and I wear with the leatt 6.0 body armor inside and with a white full face helmet, and leatt dual axis knee pads. This makes vehicles slow down as if I'm some patrol officer with a hovering/floating unit from the future.  B)

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2023 at 12:08 AM, Impoy47 said:

If you wanted a TSG style helmet in white, I found this on Ebay .  I have atleast 6 motorcycle helmets in my MC days and 2 full face mtn bike helmets but this would be nice add this to my collection but I have a white helmet already.

Btw, I wear this bright high vis yellow jacket that first responder use and I wear with the leatt 6.0 body armor inside and with a white full face helmet, and leatt dual axis knee pads. This makes vehicles slow down as if I'm some patrol officer with a hovering/floating unit from the future.  B)

I own both the OG TSG Pass Pro Carbon as well as two Steelbird Air 2 (SBA2), all size large. The TSG is CE-rated for bicycles as well as ASTM F1952 certified for downhill use, while the SBA2 is rated as a scooter and motorcycle helmet according to IS:4151.

I bought the SBA2 helmets (including the same white one you linked to) nearly two years ago. I wear them only occasionally, but wear the TSG often in cooler weather. According to my kitchen digital scale, they weigh about the same.

I bought the SBA2 because the prices (about the same as the listing you linked to on eBay) as well as exterior designs were great. Once you remove the cheap lettering they look respectable.

My biggest issue with the SBA2 is fit: the helmets do not conform to my Pākehā-head. Without speculating about anthropology and body types, let me just say that these helmets probably won't fit western skulls as well as western brands do. Mine are uncomfortable around the ears (ear openings are not in the best place for me), and the helmets seem shallower to me. Could be that I just have a big head, though my Bell, TSG and Shoei helmets size large all fit me well. My Troy Lee helmets also fit perfectly, although the D4 liners leave deep imprints in my scalp.

The second concern I have is safety. I think the SBA2 shell is very robust and thick enough, but I wonder whether the foam insert is sufficient. Also, there is only hard plastic in the lower jaw, so I replaced it with high-density foam.

Overall, my feeling is that the TSG Pass/Pro are much better designed, more comfortable to wear, and have better aesthetic appeal. The SBA2 is a cool novelty helmet and will probably offer some protection, but I would not bet my life on it.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

That is an awesome helmet.

I like the way Hsiang chooses his safety gear.  He makes a graph with cool written on one the left side and safe on the other and tries to find something that’s somewhere in the middle.  The point being if you don’t think it looks cool you won’t wear it.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

Good point.  I’m so busy at work to pay for this new hobby.  Your right though that would be the smart move.  I’m going to try the small though and see how it goes.  

Edited by Josiah

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

I measured my heat three times and got 21” 54cm.  But it seems so scary to get a small size.  I thought I would be medium or large.  Any advice here?

My head is very aerodynamic with a 58cm circumference. I found the TSG Pass Pro Large (specs are 58-60cm) to be perfectly snug. I seriously doubt that a head with the same circumference as mine and a bushy mane would fit, however.

I would order the TSG Pass Pro from Amazon since they have a free return policy on this item. You can also check ZeitBike.com in San Diego as I am unsure what their exchange policy is. Zeitbike was (and probably still is) the sole authorized TSG distributor in the US. They are also easy to work with and very helpful. 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, litewave said:

My head is very aerodynamic with a 58cm circumference. I found the TSG Pass Pro Large (specs are 58-60cm) to be perfectly snug. I seriously doubt that a head with the same circumference as mine and a bushy mane would fit, however.

I would order the TSG Pass Pro from Amazon since they have a free return policy on this item. You can also check ZeitBike.com in San Diego as I am unsure what their exchange policy is. Zeitbike was (and probably still is) the sole authorized TSG distributor in the US. They are also easy to work with and very helpful. 

But beware that the pass pro (carbon, no more in the lineup from tsg) runs a little smaller than the regular pass (with my 57,5cm i needed an medium)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josiah said:

Do you guys like the hand mirrors?  ACB951C5-AD21-4555-BF5C-C024A9C21C19.thumb.jpeg.5ee2946e2d6f6e87d0b9bd0ec6020718.jpeg

This guy does ! I have one sitting on my left wrist just below the phone armband, and over the top of my wrist guards. I use that in conjunction with a tiny helmet-mounted one on the right side so I get the best of both worlds. That one looks nice, but my one has a slightly more flexible design so you can set the angle up more helpfully, and pack it flat and protect it from scratches when you don't need it and it would otherwise get in your way...

God knows how they've managed to make it so cheap, it's really not shitty quality and the mirror was actually pristine when it arrived and has stayed largely that way !! I should mention that the leather that keeps this up and angled isn't very strong so I have made a little foam insert that keeps it where I want it.

image.png.0abb57d754b768805462a522a6080330.png

Only disadvantage would be a distant awareness that I might look a bit of a plonker riding around holding my wrist aloft like I'm awaiting the return of an errant falcon ! But hey, if I was, at least it would see a lovely rear view while it was landing !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

God knows how they've managed to make it so cheap, it's really not shitty quality and the mirror was actually pristine when it arrived and has stayed largely that way !! I should mention that the leather that keeps this up and angled isn't very strong so I have made a little foam insert that keeps it where I want it.

image.png.0abb57d754b768805462a522a6080330.png

Only disadvantage would be a distant awareness that I might look a bit of a plonker riding around holding my wrist aloft like I'm awaiting the return of an errant hawk !

Lol,  a Hawk or an arm signal.

Maybe there so cheep because they put intelligence gathering tech in there.  Cameras and such.  JK

Just in case you wonder what the helmet mirror looks like... I have this type..

image.png.84c74c7cd6ce2cad97b5e9d5998da766.png

Advantages:

• Mounts very close to eyeline so doesn't need to be huge
  • Looks weak and wobbly but actually is very stiff and adjustable in stiffness.
  • Resists wind and does not compromise aerodynamics like the bigger ones can.
  • Easy to mount
  • No 'invisible falconry' to check behind you.

Disadvantages

• Some angles, notably the right one can be difficult to both obtain and retain because rotation is click-stopped, and occasionally the angle I want is 'between clicks'.
  • Can get twatted off the helmet by relatively minimal force, and is almost certainly going missing in a crash.
  • Not as cheap as you'd think !
  • Fogs up under certain circumstances, and hard to clean without changing carefully found angle.
  • Quite a small view, and you do wish it was bigger sometimes, hence hand mirror backup.
Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Quite a small view, and you do wish it was bigger sometimes,

Maybe purchase a 50 mm round mirror.

Use silicon to glue onto existing mirror.

If it becomes damaged/scratched, glue another on top, repeat, etc.

Select 50mm size.

Located in UK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173992439969?hash=item2882c1f0a1:g:yqMAAOSwAHtZ9u0h&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoDBlijbcA7JjqcnSBfrclHeLhm6BFoZ8QlWWpA1qeiVYQjwReual3n%2F8cgz7gMCh8XIU%2F0OU4vQR5OO8CWbhF%2FNnuwqxGbw8MNNPbUmoGUNKJERmbnfrQV8TP14PQ0FhMZLBAd%2BGU4EDKB7%2FyIr2KbYKWIux2k0yd6Tg6GSI954wkRdUqMd1ZA4EYfOPXqaeQsvxfCmJVki6s9gwDhyYWPY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8Sw7Nq3YQ

• Like 2

Funnily enough I have tried bigger ones mounted to helmet but if we get larger than a couple cm they get deflected by wind once we get above 30 kph...

But having said that, this seems to be the choice of all the US speedy guys, though needs much more support by the looks of it...

image.png.d50c088b6817b814b54dbd672b7513ad.png

54 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Any thoughts on using something like this for Electric Wheels? 

D00FF098-3CC2-4D78-BCA2-88FDD10D9895.thumb.jpeg.d50abe3454425112cba49719ec729ca6.jpeg

Yep. That's what you buy when you want another accessory for your riding but have run out of things you actually need :)

Seriously; people in cars a) don't look for directional lights on EUCs, b) don't pay any attention to them if they do notice, and c) your wheel rear light is probably doing directional indicating based on your lean anyway (certainly Gotways do).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

I like those on roads. On cycle paths you get much more response out of traditional cycle bells (also finger mounted), which everyone there is expecting to hear...