King Song S22 suspension settings

novazeus

1 hour ago, MetricUSA said:

I have not tried yet but another rider said he bought a 80 and 75 mm from 

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/2251832179877555.html

Yeah i installed them and first shimmed with some washers to bring them down to 73 and 77mm but decided to remove the shims and let some play. Very very good and way smoother (i have cnc-sliders too but this givs even more noticable additional smoothness)

Edited by onkeldanuel
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

what does tightening or loosening of the retainer for the coil spring do for the suspension? 

nothing is fixed on mine yet, just wondering how more or less compression on that spring affects the ride?

48 minutes ago, novazeus said:

what does tightening or loosening of the retainer for the coil spring do for the suspension? 

nothing is fixed on mine yet, just wondering how more or less compression on that spring affects the ride?

That changes the shock's preload, which changes where in the leverage curve you're 'operating', and it changes ride height a tiny bit. Coil over shocks are intended to be run with no more than 3 turns of preload, if you need more preload than that to set the sag (how much of the shock travel is used by the weight of the wheel+payload just standing still), you need a stiffer spring.

It's the same as pumping up a pneumatic shock—you add pressure as needed to set sag but with a coil over it's set and forget whereas pneumatics need checking and adjustment.

The reasons you don't want too much preload are that more preload means you have less shock travel available, and if you "bottom out" the coil before the shock is fully compressed there's some risk of coil lock where the coils squash over each other and the spring locks up.

Coil overs are tougher in initial setup, but once you get the right spring you don't need to mess with them again. Generally it's "1 rider, 1 coil" kind of a deal. Spring calculators help get you in the right zone, the stock shock is probably ok enough for typical weight riders but if you need a lot of preload to set your sag, get a lighter spring—they're about 40 USD.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

That changes the shock's preload, which changes where in the leverage curve you're 'operating', and it changes ride height a tiny bit. Coil over shocks are intended to be run with no more than 3 turns of preload, if you need more preload than that to set the sag (how much of the shock travel is used by the weight of the wheel+payload just standing still), you need a stiffer spring.

It's the same as pumping up a pneumatic shock—you add pressure as needed to set sag but with a coil over it's set and forget whereas pneumatics need checking and adjustment.

The reasons you don't want too much preload are that more preload means you have less shock travel available, and if you "bottom out" the coil before the shock is fully compressed there's some risk of coil lock where the coils squash over each other and the spring locks up.

Coil overs are tougher in initial setup, but once you get the right spring you don't need to mess with them again. Generally it's "1 rider, 1 coil" kind of a deal. Spring calculators help get you in the right zone, the stock shock is probably ok enough for typical weight riders but if you need a lot of preload to set your sag, get a lighter spring—they're about 40 USD.

even though i bathe the stock sliders yesterday, it's still stiff. i have the shock itself set as soft as possible and the rebound as fast as possible, but until the slider thing is repaired, like somebody else said, it's a waste of time trying to get any adjustment. i'm just trying to get a softer ride over my road. i gave up on the pastures a long time ago. no jumps, no curbs, just softer suspension for occaision tree root under the pavement type thing.

49 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

For plush, you absolutely must get roller sliders. Otherwise you're dealing with a system designed for big drops, not plush. Pester your reseller or get the ningning 8s. You'll be amazed. I promise you!

i'll wait until freemotion sends out what king song sends them. maybe they have heard the feedback and making them correctly now. i just won't ride it as much. practice freemounting with the s18. the v13 sb here next week with that michelin street pilot 2 tire on it. so even fixed, it might get lonely for the next month or so.

for grins, if i ride it today, i'm gonna set the retainer ring as loose as possible, like u said, 3 turns or less. see if after flushing yesterday, it improves the ride at all.

• Like 1

It's well worth it to spend a few bucks and get the Ningning ones, the circlip mounting will make future maintenance a breeze and they have a really good track record by now, worth the investment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

It's well worth it to spend a few bucks and get the Ningning ones, the circlip mounting will make future maintenance a breeze and they have a really good track record by now, worth the investment.

who is the vendor for those?

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

who is the vendor for those?

Hou Ningning, guy from China, he's active on Facebook and Telegram, he has many happy customers:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5959137480850832/

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Hou Ningning, guy from China, he's active on Facebook and Telegram, he has many happy customers:

thanks for that. could u give me a ballpark price of what his kit costs delivered in the us? guesstimate.

and are those white coated ball bearings inside diameter the same as king song's?

14 minutes ago, novazeus said:

thanks for that. could u give me a ballpark price of what his kit costs delivered in the us? guesstimate.

and are those white coated ball bearings inside diameter the same as king song's?

Better if you ask him but ballpark around 200 dollars.

No idea if they are same as KS, probably not.

9 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Better if you ask him but ballpark around 200 dollars.

No idea if they are same as KS, probably not.

so u would need to buy replacement bearings from him?

5 minutes ago, novazeus said:

They are standard pom wheels same dimensions as other community solutions, can find them on AliExpress for cheap.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, novazeus said:

I bought mine from ningning (via telegram), I had him add 8 additional bearings/wheels to my order—he charged $1 each which is in line with Ali pricing. But he charged me extra shipping. I paid $200 for the 8s plus $20 shipping. The extra wheels cost me $18 with shipping, which is twice what you can get them direct from Ali for.

I bought more wheels from SW Maker on Ali, they were similar yield to ningning's (poor). ningning has said he's sourcing higher quality wheels now.

My set predates his big order from eWheels—it required hammering on some of the wheels and uses screws as retainers instead of circlips. I might get his upgraded version just in case (I don't need one ATM, the one I have is working splendidly) but I think I'll let him continue to refine for a while.

This is my writeup

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 3

just rode the s18 about 6 miles and then the s22 the same 6 miles. i have the retainer on the spring just barely touching, maybe two turns unloaded. i'll screw with that so more tmrw. i see how it works. 

on my road, and the s18 with the jiluer tire wearing in is actually very enjoyable. the s22 with lots of wd 40 and wd 40 drylube yesterday, a very close second suspension wise. for my use, no pads, i ride them both very well. moving the pedals forward and down made the s22 nice to drive for me, using my feet instead of my legs. no problem accelerating or stopping as fast as i want to. i'm not trying to be the next influencer, unless that is for safe urban transportation on sidewalks and multiuse paths. trips to the pharmacy, dentist or doctor. nothing wrong with using wheels for practical purposes. 

when and if freemotion sends king songs repair kit, i'll analyze it and get all the parts together that i think i'll need, on a nice day outside, i'll overhaul it. i mean i hate to get rid of a wheel my mind and body controls so well. i don't even mind the spiked pedals with the van's mte hiking boots. love the cable racheting system on those as opposed to shoelaces. and they work on the grip tape just fine on the s18. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far with half of the rollers on, only the inside position, and a 350 lb spring, seams to be working for me... 175 lb spring bottom out on me, didn't before the roller slides... Will drop the wheel after ride a good distance, you can see the slides are pushed out near rubbing the outer slot side (maybe should have added grease to edge), to see if there is much wear... Too damn bad ks could not give us the 'pro' slides I would and still can machine slots wider!!! 

Edited by MetricUSA

• 2 weeks later...

What are peoples opinion on the spring 'weight' after the slider upgrade has been installed?

Around here the tracks are really steep and rocky. I've set my shock to just off the softest setting but am still getting a 'harsh' ride. Much more rock vibration than on my mountain bike (only for comparison of course!!)

I weigh 80kg (176lb) and am trying (poorly) to ride like Chooch - just a fatter version.

Some advice on what to do with my coil and shock would be great. It's rattling my teeth out at the moment!!

Yes. The sliders are still moving smoothly and I can't detect any binding.

I think the stock spring is good, but my terrain is more urban and dirt, not rocks. With the shock I adjusted a bit towards hard and quite a bit towards slower rebound with the bottom dial for more damping, where before the rollers I had it fully soft and fast, maybe you can try that.

1 hour ago, Julian-NZ said:

What are peoples opinion on the spring 'weight' after the slider upgrade has been installed?

Around here the tracks are really steep and rocky. I've set my shock to just off the softest setting but am still getting a 'harsh' ride. Much more rock vibration than on my mountain bike (only for comparison of course!!)

I weigh 80kg (176lb) and am trying (poorly) to ride like Chooch - just a fatter version.

Some advice on what to do with my coil and shock would be great. It's rattling my teeth out at the moment!!

Yes. The sliders are still moving smoothly and I can't detect any binding.

For your weight a 500-550-600lb spring might feel better, I'm over 95kg riding weight and 600lb spring feels great for me, also make sure you have no compression dampening (blue knob all the way to the left) and tune your rebound (try first all the way to left then 5 "clicks" to the right as a starting point).

Regarding spring sizes it's difficult to find exact matches, Foxshox steel springs for 69-76mm stroke are a tiny bit too long but can be fitted if pre-compressed with 2 ratchet straps during installation, that's what I'm using.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 4:00 PM, Tawpie said:

I bought mine from ningning (via telegram), I had him add 8 additional bearings/wheels to my order—he charged $1 each which is in line with Ali pricing. But he charged me extra shipping. I paid $200 for the 8s plus $20 shipping. The extra wheels cost me $18 with shipping, which is twice what you can get them direct from Ali for.

I bought more wheels from SW Maker on Ali, they were similar yield to ningning's (poor). ningning has said he's sourcing higher quality wheels now.

My set predates his big order from eWheels—it required hammering on some of the wheels and uses screws as retainers instead of circlips. I might get his upgraded version just in case (I don't need one ATM, the one I have is working splendidly) but I think I'll let him continue to refine for a while.

This is my writeup

@Tawpiesay can you please share how to get ahold of Ningning on Telegram? I'd rather not transact over FB. Thanks!

On 3/6/2023 at 2:37 PM, Rawnei said:

Hey @Rawnei just loving all the accessories you've created, lost my shock protector yesterday so time to fire up the printer haha. Love it. 

Anyways I ordered up a set of Ningning 8 sliders, and am just curious if you have any thoughts on compatibility with your CNC Sliders Dirt Protection System?

I mean maybe the slider plugs would work, but like you say over on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5621786 the 8 roller system is longer so the mini fenders and channel plugs would not work.

TimO's 3D printed solution has been stellar, but I really want to see if the rollers improve it any bit. Just worried about dust/dirt protection for it..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vikingto said:

Hey @Rawnei just loving all the accessories you've created, lost my shock protector yesterday so time to fire up the printer haha. Love it. 

Anyways I ordered up a set of Ningning 8 sliders, and am just curious if you have any thoughts on compatibility with your CNC Sliders Dirt Protection System?

I mean maybe the slider plugs would work, but like you say over on https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5621786 the 8 roller system is longer so the mini fenders and channel plugs would not work.

TimO's 3D printed solution has been stellar, but I really want to see if the rollers improve it any bit. Just worried about dust/dirt protection for it..

Hey thanks. 🙏

The plugs are compatible but not the fenders, since the ningning sliders are a bit longer they are not as dirt prone though so it's good.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikingto said:

@Rawnei  well bummer that I won't be able to use your fenders with em, but on the other hand maybe I'll be able to clean the channels a bit with my post ride spray down.

Not sure they are needed though, they were meant to protect the open space above the sliders but since the ningning ones are longer they cover that automatically.